Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 02:01 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
None of this is promising, it screams "borrowed time".
Now, Cali. Isn't it time to start posting your charts in the Alaska forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 02:13 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
That’s true for people moving here from say China or the Middle East but the richest person here Zuckerburg works here and runs his business here. What if he and other tech millionaires decide to move out of Ca and take their business with them? What then?
CA has 40M population.

even bigger than Canada

you mean to say they dont want to make money with that kind of market?

Old 01-30-2019, 06:37 PM

603 posts, read 442,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
“Your” as you are using it, is “you’re” ... speaking of “learning” ...

That said, I didn’t say the Stanford study gave a figure of how many high income people are moving into California. I said - in response to your saying studies like the Stanford one linked “mean nothing” - that in absence of you contributing credible, linked research, I’ll stick with studies “from named, credible sources such as Stanford”. Note the plurals I used: “studies”, “sources”. You can find demographic information a number of places ... such as the US Census Bureau - as cited in this article:

Who moves to California? The wealthier and better educated, mostly
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...221-story.html
There is no study or data available that can differentiate between the two groups of people... the data exists no doubt but I’ve never seen a study that compiled it or any sources that can point to it.
I stand by my assertion that it is rare for high income people to become tax residents of California without significant other mitigating circumstances (divorces, family etc) with the exception of a certain NYC-LA revolving door back and forth in very specific industries such as IT and Entertainment law and VC.
Most high income California residents became so whilst residing in California.
For someone making $2m for example ...state taxes are $240k a year ...Do you think it’s worth paying $240,000 a year extra of (now after SALT changes) tax to live in California over Nevada ?
The effective tax rate for someone earning that amount is 49.75% in California.... it’s clearly out of control.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:42 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
There is no study or data available that can differentiate between the two groups of people... the data exists no doubt but I’ve never seen a study that compiled it or any sources that can point to it.
I stand by my assertion that it is rare for high income people to become tax residents of California without significant other mitigating circumstances (divorces, family etc) with the exception of a certain NYC-LA revolving door back and forth in very specific industries such as IT and Entertainment law and VC.
For someone making $2m for example ...state taxes are $240k a year ...Do you think it’s worth paying $240,000 a year extra of (now after SALT changes) tax to live in California over Nevada ?
The effective tax rate for someone earning that amount is 49.75% in California.... it’s clearly out of control.
Yes. It is.

And you can stand asserting until hell freezes over if you like. I hear the polar vortex is reaching southward ...

Old 01-30-2019, 07:01 PM

872 posts, read 595,262 times
Finper-
Zuckerburg can hide his money offshore like the google guy does- He’s in CA and simply diverts the money before his fellow trump haters can get to it

Old 01-30-2019, 07:02 PM

716 posts, read 539,193 times
i can tell you all from my little circle of friends that several of us left- we all go tired paying 10% to moonbeam and to the feds with a effective rate of 48% -

added to the wacko laws and the illegals issues we left - Calif is not worth the hassle and is was not longer fun place to live

Most high earners come to Calif for the chance to make serious bucks - and those too leave of houses in several states and dont have legal residency

added corporate taxes and the rate for subs corps- its just not worth the headache any more

for those of you who stay -congrats i applaud you but for my little corner in so calif we just got feed up - life is to short to put up the crap we had to deal with everyday

Old 01-30-2019, 07:02 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
To answer your question, having lived in both Nevada and California I would pay NOT to have to live in Nevada again, but let's look at some other states.

(total tax burden)
Portland Oregon 47.51%
Hawaii 48.42%
West Virginia 44.16%

And the picture changes quite a bit when you examine progressivity of state income tax. Look at the tax rates for a single person with an income of $50,000

(state tax burden)
California 3.22%
Oregon 7.29%
West Virginia 4.11%
Hawaii 6.21%

So yes, California state income tax hits the very rich, but it's also more progressive for the middle class wage earner than other states, and I would guess that the lucky person how had a 2 million AGI started out with far higher figure before itemized deductions, something that the toddler's tax plan took away from the rest of us.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:05 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Absolutely. For the two in our extended family making just under this, they would never consider another state (especially Nevada, of all places).

Old 01-31-2019, 02:32 AM

603 posts, read 442,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Absolutely. For the two in our extended family making just under this, they would never consider another state (especially Nevada, of all places).
I used Nevada as an example because I know of several people who actually are essentially Californians who have substantial ties to California but actually reside technically in Nevada despite them owning homes in LA. I can certainly understand people wanting to stay in California if it’s their place of business as essentially the extra cost of taxes are simply a extension of the cost of doing business or for someone (a lawyer friend of mine comes to mind) who has basically built his whole career around entertainment law in LA but for the more mobile investor or business owner with several location opportunities I see no benefits only detrimental impacts. I’d PREFER to live in California as I actually really like the place LA in particular but I’d have to pay too much tax and give up way too many freedoms to make that an option. But if California suddenly became business friendly and respected the constitution I’d be there in a heartbeat but it isn’t going to happen they are too far down the road to change back towards the right path.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:46 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Because he can (try). Same reason nearly everything is attempted in the world ...
Why is he trying to tax drinking water at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California