Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 01:58 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times

Advertisements

cant understand why people with no means to pay for HB price is looking at HB to live?

if you are rational, you immediately cross out those beach cities and look somewhere inland or more affordable cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 05:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
cant understand why people with no means to pay for HB price is looking at HB to live?

if you are rational, you immediately cross out those beach cities and look somewhere inland or more affordable cities
But they want to llve there and have you pay for it.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:01 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But they want to llve there and have you pay for it.
In the article it states that Huntington Beach won to not have to build affordable housing. The state just wants them to build housing period. Trust me I live in Santa Monica average price for a home is $2 million, $2.7 million for a SFH, and people are still moving in. I'm sure there's people that can afford $800k for a house close to the beach winch is a bargain for West LA.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:28 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post

Because the people in California who don't make a lot of money feel that it is their inalienable right to live in the nice areas and will vote for politicians that will enforce laws to give them "affordable housing".

The people who didn't make it in life want the best of both worlds. The opportunity to live in the nice areas without the price tag that comes with it.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Because the people in California who don't make a lot of money feel that it is their inalienable right to live in the nice areas and will vote for politicians that will enforce laws to give them "affordable housing".

The people who didn't make it in life want the best of both worlds. The opportunity to live in the nice areas without the price tag that comes with it.
Again, this is not what the state is fighting for.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
In the article it states that Huntington Beach won to not have to build affordable housing. The state just wants them to build housing period. Trust me I live in Santa Monica average price for a home is $2 million, $2.7 million for a SFH, and people are still moving in. I'm sure there's people that can afford $800k for a house close to the beach winch is a bargain for West LA.
Why build? Why create more congestion? Why create more waiting in lines for service? More housing does not necessarily benefit the city.

Now I agree people could afford the typical price required, but why build more and more and ... well more?

Old 01-28-2019, 08:41 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Not enough local jobs for those who work and the commute with that many people in that area would make traffic far worse than now. No acceptable transportation alternatives
I don't think that's true at all. When I'm riding on light rail along 87 I see a lot of people driving in their single occupancy vehicle, going the same exact route we are. All those people should be on light rail.

Quote:

and not enough money to build such in any reasonable time frame. No more building, no worse crowding.
You can't simultaneously complain a bout housing prices and crowding. If you want lower prices, you have to build more. The future is dense cities, with 200 story condominium buildings.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:03 PM

415 posts, read 615,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post

Uh, because people want to live near where they work? Why is that so hard to understand?

Having piles of cars of people commuting from the desert to work is just not sustainable. It's the reason the air is bad, and the freeways are full of cars.

I'm sick and tired of the NIMBYism. Its gotten out of hand. Why is it so acceptable to condemn the poor, working class, and middle class to the inland empire? I don't get it.

I think the state should continue to sue the cities until NIMBYism is but a distant memory.

Either that or the jobs need to move to the IE and the rich can commute on the 91 to work every day.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
Uh, because people want to live near where they work? Why is that so hard to understand?

Having piles of cars of people commuting from the desert to work is just not sustainable. It's the reason the air is bad, and the freeways are full of cars.

I'm sick and tired of the NIMBYism. Its gotten out of hand. Why is it so acceptable to condemn the poor, working class, and middle class to the inland empire? I don't get it.

I think the state should continue to sue the cities until NIMBYism is but a distant memory.

Either that or the jobs need to move to the IE and the rich can commute on the 91 to work every day.
Thank you! The NIMBYSism is sickening, and frankly it looks like narcissism at this point. The thing is majority of people in a place like Huntington Beach have been there less than 50 years it was a small town then, and I can 100% gaurentee those people that lived there before didn't want the ones to live there now to move in, and create traffic with mcmansions and what not, but did they care? I doubt it they probably didn't even think twice even though by their current logic THEY ruined the town. Not to mention the people 100 years ago were most likely farmers they probably didn't want development at all. Again, no one cared, and developed anyways. 200 years ago native Americans again no one cared except the just took the land from the natives. Now you have these narcissistic people who think that now that they live their that they have to be the end all be all. Talk about entitled, people talk about young people being entitled, but I don't think anything is more entitled than people essentially runing a place, and then thinking that they should be the last people living there. Chances are these are older people as well, not to mention the US average life expectancy is 79. I just don't understand why Americans just can't be humble, compassionate, and try to work together to solve problems. Except it's just I'm entitled to this I'm entitled to that not realizing you're living on land that was stolen from someone else. I just don't understand it.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Why should they have to build anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California