Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 01:22 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txsrunner2 View Post
Haha - no matter how excellent an educator my husband may be, he would still be making a teachers salary. I’m not naive enough to think I can live the good life on the beach in California on that. But hopefully maybe the good life within an easy days drive
You might be able to afford Camarillo, which has the right mix of what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 01:31 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Thank you so much- this is exactly what I was looking for. Not sure I mind dumpy ( definately don’t mind a small place) as long as the location was right and there was outdoor stuff to do right outside the place. 2500 might be doable depending on the salary. As a general rule it looks like the more expensive the district is to live in -the better the pay.
You should post a thread on the Sacramento forum, to get more info. The posters there say, that the summer heat is mitigated by breezes from San Francisco Bay, up the Sacramento River delta, especially at night, when it cools off, unlike Austin.

Teachers can't afford to live in many areas near the coast; some towns have a special subsidized-housing program for public servants, so that they can live in the community they serve. THat's how bad the situation is. Sac'to is a good option. Ventura also would be. (See its sub-forum, here among the CA forums, for more info from locals). Other than those general areas, and Murrieta, you might be looking at Humboldt County, but it's rainy up there; that's probably not what you're looking for.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:57 AM

12 posts, read 10,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Murrieta-Temecula will be mostly newer master planned communities where people mostly long drive distances to get to work. Miles upon miles of suburbia surrounded by older ranches and vineyards. Boring, but great place to raise a family especially if you don't need to commute very far.

Alpine, Pine Valley and Ramona will be mostly rural areas in the foot hills of SD County.

Of these suggestions, my favorite would be Alpine, with the caveat that fires happen more frequently in this area.
I have friends from Temecula. Based on what I’ve heard from them I’m not sure it’s what I’m looking for. I’ve heard it compared to a lot of the nice suburbs in Texas. Nothing wrong with it but we’re not really a big suburban house/ master planned community family. Alpine looks beautiful though- I will look into it more, thanks!

Old 02-07-2019, 08:58 AM

144 posts, read 196,631 times
Quote:
Wow- thank you for your reply! I agree with you- I’m strongly leaning towards Sacramento the more I read about it. Looks like it gives me a lot of what I love about Austin but with a lot more around it to do and it cools down at night which is enough of a difference for me when it comes to weather. My husband works for Leander ISD which fortunately is a bit better than AISD - I really don’t know how anyone can afford to work in AISD. But even then, he’s making less than he did when he started teaching in a title 1 school in Houston 13 years ago- it’s crazy. The one catch is he does really like the district and the admin where he is - it’s kind of a cushy job even if he doesn’t make much. Hoping he can find something similar in that regard. My biggest fear with cost of living is I keep reading about the taxes- I’ve accounted for the income tax. But do the other taxes add up enough to make a big difference in the cost of living?
No problem! Also, feel free to DM me if you have any other questions about the area in general!

Old 02-07-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You might be able to afford Camarillo, which has the right mix of what you are looking for.
Thanks - I’ll look at it!

Old 02-07-2019, 09:04 AM

925 posts, read 1,065,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Inland areas like Sacramento have summers comparable to Austin. And Sacramento has similar winters. That isn't looking like a weather upgrade. There are areas that would get you most of what you are looking for from Ventura to San Diego. For $2k a month though, you will have a hard time finding a good school district without getting something like a dumpy 2/1 with 900 sq ft. You really need another $500 a month, or look along the I-15 and 215 corridor. The 15/215 means not nearly as nice summers but the rest of what you are looking for could be done there.
The summers in the IE especially the western parts are nothing like those in Austin. Low humidity and cool nights are the biggest differences.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You should post a thread on the Sacramento forum, to get more info. The posters there say, that the summer heat is mitigated by breezes from San Francisco Bay, up the Sacramento River delta, especially at night, when it cools off, unlike Austin.

Teachers can't afford to live in many areas near the coast; some towns have a special subsidized-housing program for public servants, so that they can live in the community they serve. THat's how bad the situation is. Sac'to is a good option. Ventura also would be. (See its sub-forum, here among the CA forums, for more info from locals). Other than those general areas, and Murrieta, you might be looking at Humboldt County, but it's rainy up there; that's probably not what you're looking for.
Thank you - I thought about posting in Sacramento but while it looks like a great option and may very well be where we end up - I wanted to get other suggestions. I know California is a huge state with a ton of variety when it comes to natural setting. And I like all of it- mountains oceans rivers dessert. Don’t really have a preference as long as it has a lot of nature and outdoor things to do. I’m not expecting to live on the beach- I know we can’t afford it. I will look at Ventura more- honestly thought it would probably be out of range also. You’re right about the rain- i can’t handle dreary weather( otherwise id be posting in the PNW forums- an area I love but could not live in)

Old 02-07-2019, 09:11 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Why on earth would anyone leave Texas for this tax, tax, tax, hellhole?

Old 02-07-2019, 09:23 AM

925 posts, read 1,065,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Many reason as I’ve lived in both places. Don’t think that there are no taxes in TX. While they don’t have state taxes, my relatives in Austin are thinking of leaving because of ever rising property taxes. Also,you can’t beat the access the beaches, mountains and all the other things we have in CA.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Because they're not you?

P.S. Even Texans can't stand the summer heat. Those who can afford to, have vacation homes in mountain areas in neighboring NM, where they're able to live without A/C. NM still gets hot (though not Texas hot), but these people buy well-insulated homes that manage to maintain a livable temp indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California