Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
The Murrieta dry heat is very comfortable to me, but when we get into Chandler, Las Cruces, or up into southern Utah, I can really tell the difference in my skin, with their lower humidity. Utah, in particular, was really hard on me, so we already know those aren't places to which we would ever relocate.

Murrieta is about as much "desert" as I'm willing to tolerate. :-)
I enjoyed living in Murrieta on the West side of the 15. Growing up in CA I simply got used to dry skin, etc. I now live where it is humid and my skin is LOT happier. Mind you Winter as RosieD said can also be a dry air problem. She always gives good advice.

Now my problem is, the damage the polluted air did to my lungs growing up in SoCal. Found out about it once my body started acting up and moved to probably the best area in the US for air quality and within a few months my medical tests showed the problem areas almost back to normal. My wife can see and hear the difference as well. We did look at those areas you mention, but I agree I would not move to any of them. Looked at moving to Oceanside near the coast and West of the 15, but the COL and other issues, like traffic, crowing and excessive taxes and fees made us choose FL on the Atlantic. Will still visit as I do love the State and still have family, friends and businesses there, but after enjoying things, for a couple of weeks, we will go home. The savings in just buying a new home in FL 8 miles from the beach, will pay for the visits for the rest of our life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 03:37 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Inland areas like Sacramento have summers comparable to Austin. And Sacramento has similar winters. That isn't looking like a weather upgrade. There are areas that would get you most of what you are looking for from Ventura to San Diego. For $2k a month though, you will have a hard time finding a good school district without getting something like a dumpy 2/1 with 900 sq ft. You really need another $500 a month, or look along the I-15 and 215 corridor. The 15/215 means not nearly as nice summers but the rest of what you are looking for could be done there.
Actually it's not comparable, dewpoints in Sacramento are 20° lower and the mornings are 15°+ cooler

Old 03-25-2019, 05:25 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,283,904 times
a retired teacher from LAUSD told my wife she gets $8k/month pension, for teaching 27 years

Old 03-26-2019, 11:34 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,017 times
Looks like you can rent 2 bedrooms in San Diego for 2k/month
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/sear...date=all+dates

or even 3 bedrooms
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/sear...date=all+dates

Old 03-26-2019, 11:36 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
a retired teacher from LAUSD told my wife she gets $8k/month pension, for teaching 27 years

That's crazy. A guy who used to work with me at my current job retired from the surface Navy as a 1st Class Petty Officer (That's paygrade E-6), and said he wouldn't be able to live off his pension. Maybe if he had made Chief (E-7). That probably would have been a higher pension. I was Navy submarines but I separated after 4 years (EAOS and honorable discharge, just didn't re-enlist) so no pension. Unless I go into Military Sealift Command for a while.

But 8k? Is that 100% of the retired teacher's salary when they were working? Public servants shouldn't be allowed to strike especially if they get deals like that.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:26 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,283,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
That's crazy. A guy who used to work with me at my current job retired from the surface Navy as a 1st Class Petty Officer (That's paygrade E-6), and said he wouldn't be able to live off his pension. Maybe if he had made Chief (E-7). That probably would have been a higher pension. I was Navy submarines but I separated after 4 years (EAOS and honorable discharge, just didn't re-enlist) so no pension. Unless I go into Military Sealift Command for a while.

But 8k? Is that 100% of the retired teacher's salary when they were working? Public servants shouldn't be allowed to strike especially if they get deals like that.
you would thought you were getting nice benefits from the Navy when you were active due to those free living quarters but its a shock when you get out that those freebies were not part of the computation of your pension.

CA public employees especially in the public safety and teachers have nice retirement benefits. there are a lot of news and posts here about their benefits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California