Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 07:11 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So, what's the damage already? How much have we already wasted $ wise.
This site looks legitimate but I’ve never heard of it. They say $5.4 billion. And that was a year ago.

https://www.hoover.org/research/afte...-going-nowhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 02:12 PM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
many opposition of the HSR are right in the heart of where its being built. Throw it up for old school conservative nature of the central valley (at least from people there who have power and a voice). They dont realize that linking fresno to SJ in an hour would do so much wonders for their city. Mainly accessing white collar higher paying jobs that the central ca region severely lacks. A region that suffers from brain drain and despite having reputable colleges in fresno state, fresno pacific, several community colleges, and close by uc merced--many graduates and talented leave because the region has nothing for them in their field.

You mention that kind of possibility and vision to folks in the valley and they dont believe that could happen---people from fresno working in SJ or people moving to fresno from SJ due to real estate prices while retaining high paying jobs in SJ.

They dont seem to realize the many who already do 2-3 hour single way commutes from tracy/stockton area and even sacramento area.

I hear opinions from folks doing these mega commutes from sac or stockton/tracy area and provided good insight. Is if the central ca isnt supportive of it, we shoudlnt have even spent money there and used it to develop HSR lines from sac to the bay area and stockton/580 corridors.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 3,692 times
I'm starting to get the impression that this rail project is never going to actually happen.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:54 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbywobbin View Post
I'm starting to get the impression that this rail project is never going to actually happen.
It’s only $5 billion or so. This is Brown’s failure.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:59 PM

44 posts, read 25,552 times
How about a lot more reservoirs instead so we don't have to take spit showers when the next inevitable drought comes?

Old 02-04-2020, 08:14 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenfriedsteak View Post
How about a lot more reservoirs instead so we don't have to take spit showers when the next inevitable drought comes?
I’ll go you one better: how about we incentivize population reduction and exodus ... get back to sustainable numbers ... say 20 million ... tops.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:51 PM

44 posts, read 25,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I’ll go you one better: how about we incentivize population reduction and exodus ... get back to sustainable numbers ... say 20 million ... tops.
I am in favor of incentivizing population reduction too. The easiest way to do it is by mandating E-Verify and having undocumented migrants self deport, ending the sanctuary state, etc. Another way would be to greatly reduce legal immigration since many of new immigrants to want to come to...California.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:12 PM

8,330 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I agree with Tulemutt 1st time ever, only trouble is the exact opposite is going to happen.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:29 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenfriedsteak View Post
I am in favor of incentivizing population reduction too. The easiest way to do it is by mandating E-Verify and having undocumented migrants self deport, ending the sanctuary state, etc. Another way would be to greatly reduce legal immigration since many of new immigrants to want to come to...California.
I agree immigration, both legal and illegal, should be stopped. But that’s just one piece of the puzzle. And, frankly, many immigrants, including illegals, make better Americans than a lot of the toads who are born to American families ... so let’s just incentivize everyone regardless.

The whole notion that a person should be granted automatic citizenship by reason of birth - even to citizen parents - without doing a damn thing to serve the nation’s needs and interests ... is nuts.

That covered, let’s not go any further off-topic into the immigration weeds, eh.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:47 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
This site looks legitimate but I’ve never heard of it. They say $5.4 billion. And that was a year ago.

https://www.hoover.org/research/afte...-going-nowhere
Good grief, you live in CA but have never heard of Stanford Univ? (Hoover is part of Stanford)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California