Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,507 times

Advertisements

Looking for insights and experiences on life on the Monterey peninsula as compared with life in the Bay Area and San Diego.

Especially coastal life -- ie, Marin County, Pacifica, North San Diego County, La Jolla, etc. In what ways will be adjusting? What, in your opinion, makes life on the Monterey peninsula its own animal? What is unique there that we won't have experienced in these other places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 06:40 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
I have never lived in Monterey, but whenever I have visited, I felt that it was a lot more relaxed than the places you mentioned in the Bay Area, including Santa Cruz. Pacifica, to me, is not really comparable. Pacifica is a small town that is pretty cool and chill, but you definitely need to get to the rest of Bay Area for a lot of things, while I view Monterey as self-sustaining.

In Marin county, Petaluma reminds me of Monterey. Obviously, it doesnt have the coastal access etc. but it does have very similar architecture and feel.

I think that if access to jobs/money was not an issue, I would probably live in Monterey over the other places. However, I do feel that Monterey is pretty secluded. I think access to a big airport is pretty tough and it is a long drive on highways that get backed up.

MtnSurfer would probably be the best to answer this question

Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I have never lived in Monterey, but whenever I have visited, I felt that it was a lot more relaxed than the places you mentioned in the Bay Area, including Santa Cruz. Pacifica, to me, is not really comparable. Pacifica is a small town that is pretty cool and chill, but you definitely need to get to the rest of Bay Area for a lot of things, while I view Monterey as self-sustaining.

In Marin county, Petaluma reminds me of Monterey. Obviously, it doesnt have the coastal access etc. but it does have very similar architecture and feel.

I think that if access to jobs/money was not an issue, I would probably live in Monterey over the other places. However, I do feel that Monterey is pretty secluded. I think access to a big airport is pretty tough and it is a long drive on highways that get backed up.

MtnSurfer would probably be the best to answer this question
Petaluma is in Sonoma County, not in Marin County.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:58 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsHighway View Post
Looking for insights and experiences on life on the Monterey peninsula as compared with life in the Bay Area and San Diego.

Especially coastal life -- ie, Marin County, Pacifica, North San Diego County, La Jolla, etc. In what ways will be adjusting? What, in your opinion, makes life on the Monterey peninsula its own animal? What is unique there that we won't have experienced in these other places?
I live in the Bay Area now. Grew up in the Monterey area and went to college in San Diego, so I can speak for all of them.

I do think Monterey has some similarities to some of the NorCal beach towns (Pacifica, Half Moon Bay, Bodega Bay, etc.). The weather is generally more similar to there than SD, in terms of getting a lot more rain, the fog/wind being colder, etc. Generally, beaches are for walking, tide pooling, and maybe surfing with a wetsuit, but you don't really have the true beach scene as you do down in SD, except for a rare occasion. There is also a liberal vibe, which is more common with NorCal vs SoCal.

Carmel has some similarities to La Jolla in terms of wealthy residents, boutique stores, etc.

Other than that, I don't think there are a ton of similarities. The Monterey Peninsula has maybe 100k people and you're looking at around 300k for all of Monterey County (including Salinas, which is like a world away). The Bay Area is around 7-8 million and San Diego is around 3 million. Both of those places have a lot more recreation options, amenities, etc. vs Monterey. Monterey does hold its own in terms of natural beauty and outdoor recreation. It punches above its weight in terms of golfing and restaurants per capita, but can't compete with the larger markets.

Also, it is a lot more relaxed than both places, especially the Bay Area. You don't have this fast paced energy as you do in the Bay Area. That's good and bad. On one hand, it makes for a simpler lifestyle and less stress. On the other than, there aren't a lot of jobs to be had and the area is pretty expensive. It doesn't even stack up to SD in that capacity. I'd still consider SD laid back and not the best job market, but it is much better than Monterey.

Personally, I think of Monterey/Carmel as where you go to retire or live if you're independently wealthy. SD is like that to an extent, but you can find some opportunities if you look hard. The Bay Area is where you come to build wealth/experience, but its hyper competitive, so there are pros and cons of all locations.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:55 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
We did retire in North Monterey County. There are about 30 gated/private communities here - amidst the rural/farmland. We live in one - and our HOA fees are about $68 a month. Pretty much for road and common area grass and tree maintenance. Also property maintenance standards you won't find in the rest of the county.

Not the Peninsula - but it's much more affordable to live inland.

And you might not think it - but people here do commute from Prunedale (north of Salinas) to San Jose for work.

Yes, we do drive for groceries and amenities.... but it's so much more less frantic than the Bay Area. And way more affordable.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:35 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Marin is beautiful, OP. In parts of Marin, the redwood trees sprout like weeds. It's a magical place, in that sense. There are redwood parks right in the middle of town. The ocean is spectacular! One of the differences is, that Monterey is on a protected Bay, which easily lends itself to water sports. You don't have that in Marin; the beaches are on open ocean. Monterey is also at the southern terminus of redwood habitat; there's a regional redwood park outside of town, but you don't see redwoods as part of the scenery around town and in-between towns.

I'll try to rustle up Mountain Surfer, so he can wax eloquent for you, about Monterey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California