Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:58 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You just correctly pointed out that oil prices are determined more by supply and demand than they are by increases in the cost of a barrel of oil, well done
I recommend looking at this VERY basic graph. If you can understand what's happening here, then you might understand why what you said was extremely cringey (for those with a background in business and economics). But to help you get started, what you are trying to do is isolate supply shock, from the effects of government taxes on commodities, that is missing the point entirely. All have an effect on price discovery.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
None of these things have anything to do with extraction taxes in any measurable consumer context.

The Torrance fire critically affected finished product inventory, availabiliy ... among other things requiring inventory substitutions from far away.

The extraction tax is only on “extracted” and NOT “refined” crude. Thus it is a base tax on crude material wherever it is destined - in state or out. Furthermore, it is nothing whatsoever different than similar extraction taxes levied by all other oil producing states.
Supply shocks and government taxes on commodities both have an effect on price discovery.

Change my mind.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:30 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Supply shocks and government taxes on commodities both have an effect on price discovery.

Change my mind.
Everything affects everything. Wow. News flash. Revelation.

Now then, the issue here is: how much?

The intent of your thread here is to heap ridicule and loathing on the state for its costs of livng and political preferences (which, note, are the peoples’ choice by majority ... which, theoretically, as a self-proclaimed resident of Alaska, you do not participate in).

The reality is, as sleepy just pointed out, and I wrote just before, there are several realities affecting the local cost of gas at the pump to local consumers. Price per gallon of crude is one. But ...

... a gallon of crude is not a gallon of refined gas

... not all California crude stays in California

... and not all California consumer pump gas comes from California crude.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:33 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
I recommend looking at this VERY basic graph. If you can understand what's happening here, then you might understand why what you said was extremely cringey (for those with a background in business and economics). But to help you get started, what you are trying to do is isolate supply shock, from the effects of government taxes on commodities, that is missing the point entirely. All have an effect on price discovery.
I think I learned in my humble public college economics classes that gasoline is relatively inelastic while ice cream is very sensitive to price changes. But what do I know?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Everything affects everything.
Good, my work is done! That's a nice step from...

Quote:
As such it would have essentially zero impact on Californian citizens as consumers.

Quote:
... not all California crude stays in California

... and not all California consumer pump gas comes from California crude.

Now then, the issue here is: how much?
Whatever the oil companies can pass to California consumers, so pretty much 100% of the tax since buyers are not going to buy California's more expensive crude (compared to cheaper crude from elsewhere). That's kind of how markets work.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I think I learned in my humble public college economics classes that gasoline is relatively inelastic while ice cream is very sensitive to price changes. But what do I know?
Did you also learn in that humble public school econ class that high inelasticity actually amplifies the effects of taxes on commodities?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Did you also learn in that humble public school econ class that high inelasticity actually amplifies the effects of taxes on commodities?
You used ice cream to illustrate the demand elasticity of gasoline and now, rather than admit that you were wrong you want to move the goal post, uh uh I don't want to play

Old 02-19-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
You used ice cream to illustrate the demand elasticity of gasoline and now, rather than admit that you were wrong you want to move the goal post
I'm not moving the goal posts, I'm completely accepting your example and saying that your point that gasoline has High inelasticity actually helps my point on the negative effects of government taxes (on consumer price).

Quote:
uh uh I don't want to play

Old 02-19-2019, 10:51 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Good, my work is done! That's a nice step from...

Whatever the oil companies can pass to California consumers, so pretty much 100% of the tax since buyers are not going to buy California's more expensive crude (compared to cheaper crude from elsewhere). That's kind of how markets work.
“Everything affecting everything” is a far reach from having any “measurable impact” which is what I qualified right from the start. Ignore that truth as you will to save face.

Of course the taxes will be passed ultimately to consumers. All costs of doing all and any kind of business are passed to consumers. That is the very definition of business. The question here, once again, is: how much will that affect California consumers - when:

... a gallon of refined gas is not equal to a gallon of crude

... not all California crude stays in and is consumed in California by Californians

... not all refined gas consumed in California comes from California crude

... etc.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
The question here, once again, is: how much will that affect California consumers
We'll see next year when it passes with little opposition. I can't wait to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California