Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
We'll see next year when it passes with little opposition. I can't wait to see.
... says he, OP, rubbing hands in gleeful anticipation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Good, my work is done! That's a nice step from...

Whatever the oil companies can pass to California consumers, so pretty much 100% of the tax since buyers are not going to buy California's more expensive crude (compared to cheaper crude from elsewhere). That's kind of how markets work.
The crude that is extracted in California is from the Central Valley and it's mostly sludge, it is not "expensive crude", and very little of it ends up being refined into gasoline. A whole lot of it ends up being shipped to China as coke to feed their ovens in steel mills. Bakersfield crude is so heavy that it can't be pumped unless they inject steam into the ground. The oil severance tax would only be imposed on crude extracted in California, not all oil that is refined here.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:15 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
... says he, OP, rubbing hands in gleeful anticipation
I like to see voters get what they vote for. Now that it has very little effect on myself as of last year, I can take a little extra pleasure. Who doesn't enjoy "extra pleasure"?

Old 02-19-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The oil severance tax would only be imposed on crude extracted in California, not all oil that is refined here.
Like I said, we will see. My prediction is even higher prices at the pump for Californians.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I like to see voters get what they vote for. Now that it has very little effect on myself as of last year, I can take a little extra pleasure. Who doesn't enjoy "extra pleasure"?
Any any dominatrix ...

Old 02-19-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The crude that is extracted in California is from the Central Valley and it's mostly sludge, it is not "expensive crude", and very little of it ends up being refined into gasoline. A whole lot of it ends up being shipped to China as coke to feed their ovens in steel mills. Bakersfield crude is so heavy that it can't be pumped unless they inject steam into the ground. The oil severance tax would only be imposed on crude extracted in California, not all oil that is refined here.
I suspect this thread ends here ... in the sludge shipping to China.

One can hope, anyway.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:33 AM

OH SNAP! WAIT!

Silly me! Of course we can continue to argue how this will cost Californians more! CHINA will pass the tax increase on to consumers in all their products shipped to America!

Carry on CR!

Old 02-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
OH SNAP! WAIT!

Silly me! Of course we can continue to argue how this will cost Californians more! CHINA will pass the tax increase on to consumers in all their products shipped to America!

Carry on CR!
No better proof than to see what happens when it passes. I'll make sure to revisit in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California