Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 03:52 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Are you aware that the US used to have many highways like that too? Even on many two lane highways, and that was back in the days when cars didn't have modern safety equipment, such as seatbelts and airbags. But that was back in the days before states figured out that they could make $10 billion a year writing speeding tickets. After the invention of radar guns suddenly speed was bad.

Montana Roads - Misc. Photos
Yes, I did forget about that.

But "Reasonable and Prudent" here is not the same as the Autobahn...as far as your life is concerned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 06:21 PM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
I drive the I5 quite a bit. I easily cruise along at 100mph along with other drivers. The problem with the I5 is the damn truck traffic. If they would stay in the right lane, there would be no backups in traffic. But for some reason, the CHP doesn’t enforce the 5 car rule with large semi trucks. I think a dedicated 100mph lane would work, but you have drivers on California roads who should not be on the road AT ALL! In Germany, there is better testing of drivers than in California, where they let barely functioning drivers on the road.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:23 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I drive the I5 quite a bit. I easily cruise along at 100mph along with other drivers. The problem with the I5 is the damn truck traffic. If they would stay in the right lane, there would be no backups in traffic. But for some reason, the CHP doesn’t enforce the 5 car rule with large semi trucks. I think a dedicated 100mph lane would work, but you have drivers on California roads who should not be on the road AT ALL! In Germany, there is better testing of drivers than in California, where they let barely functioning drivers on the road.
I don't disagree with most of your post, but you don't really have any idea what the 5 car rule is, do you? Hint: it doesn't apply to the Interstate. That is why CHP doesn't enforce it on I-5.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:20 AM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't disagree with most of your post, but you don't really have any idea what the 5 car rule is, do you? Hint: it doesn't apply to the Interstate. That is why CHP doesn't enforce it on I-5.
I did not know that. Thx

Old 09-21-2019, 09:56 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I did not know that. Thx
No problem. Just for your info.

Law section

Old 09-21-2019, 10:10 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
But in Germany, they don't drive like we do. You have to have cooperation for those types of speeds. We don't have a whole lot of cooperation with people on the roads here.
Not only that but their driving training and tests are a lot more stringent than ours. I personally can’t imagine speed limits of 100 mph unless we’re talking middle of nowhere. First of all most of our roads simply are not maintained well enough for those speeds. Second of all there are plenty of cars that have no business doing 100 mph simply from the mechanical shape they are in, and third there are a lot of people who fancy themselves race car drivers. Those people most likely will try playing speed racer games at 100 mph. I see them doing it now raising the limit will just get them doing it at even higher speeds. Personally I like to get home without some douche wrecking into me while playing real life fast and furious. I’m not talking about a sane driver who can drive at 100 mph, uses the rules of the road, signals, car is maintained where it’s safecto drive at 100 mph.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:56 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Not only that but their driving training and tests are a lot more stringent than ours. I personally can’t imagine speed limits of 100 mph unless we’re talking middle of nowhere. First of all most of our roads simply are not maintained well enough for those speeds. Second of all there are plenty of cars that have no business doing 100 mph simply from the mechanical shape they are in, and third there are a lot of people who fancy themselves race car drivers. Those people most likely will try playing speed racer games at 100 mph. I see them doing it now raising the limit will just get them doing it at even higher speeds. Personally I like to get home without some douche wrecking into me while playing real life fast and furious. I’m not talking about a sane driver who can drive at 100 mph, uses the rules of the road, signals, car is maintained where it’s safecto drive at 100 mph.
These people here can barely control themselves at 40mph let alone 100+. The only way I would be for it is if we all had to retake driving tests, and weed out the useless tools who have no clue how to drive. And anyone found not cooperating with the rules of the road - stringent fines and license suspended.

You HAVE to have cooperation at those speeds. I lived in Germany for 3 years and drove on the autobahns all the time. We do not have here what they have there as far as cooperation - and that can be extremely deadly.

Even with their cooperation, they still have deadly accidents. I can't even imagine the mayhem here were these idiots on the road were allowed to go faster than 80, legally, in the built up areas. Doesn't matter if it would be a specialized lane, road, or whatever, I've been driving around for a few hours a day the last month doing some of the app delivery jobs for extra cash - just like everywhere else I've lived in the U.S. the people here are fricken clueless, overall. Absolutely CLUE. LESS.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
These people here can barely control themselves at 40mph let alone 100+. The only way I would be for it is if we all had to retake driving tests, and weed out the useless tools who have no clue how to drive. And anyone found not cooperating with the rules of the road - stringent fines and license suspended.

You HAVE to have cooperation at those speeds. I lived in Germany for 3 years and drove on the autobahns all the time. We do not have here what they have there as far as cooperation - and that can be extremely deadly.

Even with their cooperation, they still have deadly accidents. I can't even imagine the mayhem here were these idiots on the road were allowed to go faster than 80, legally, in the built up areas. Doesn't matter if it would be a specialized lane, road, or whatever, I've been driving around for a few hours a day the last month doing some of the app delivery jobs for extra cash - just like everywhere else I've lived in the U.S. the people here are fricken clueless, overall. Absolutely CLUE. LESS.
Absofukkinglutely. I lived in Europe and visited there. There HAS to be cooperation at those speeds. People here barely let you in if you wanna change lanes. Putting your turn signal on is like a sign for the guy in the other lane to speed up DONT GET IN FRONT OF ME. God forbid someone “cuts in”. Can you just imagine all these road raging ****tards actually cooperating? Because at 100 mph he’ll at 35 mph you should be cooperating. At 100...you should demand all drivers have courtesy to each other.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:57 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Just browsing here.

I was on TX-130 (85 limit, alot of them do 90) and I have to say that America in general is not ready for this.. I witnessed people trying to pass in the right lane in a three lane section right before the right lane ended and merging back into traffic between cars who were not paying attention or reacting to the potential danger until it was almost too late, noone looking as far down the road as they could (at those speeds you get NO time to react, you have to be proactive about everything), I even witnessed a tire blow. Another thing is, speed is more like a multiplier. The amount of energy needed to get to or slowdown from the difference between 80 and 100 is actually exponentially higher than what is required between 60 and 80. You car also exponentially loses handling characteristics after 80 as well meaning your steering HAS to be precise as the wrong nudge and you're in a ditch. There is just alot of stuff that can go wrong at these speeds.

This can work decently in Germany because drivers are for more skilled, the roads are built for these speeds, and drivers typically have a respect for those speeds... in America people dont even have respect for 70... 100+? ...death trap... just sayin.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:43 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Absofukkinglutely. I lived in Europe and visited there. There HAS to be cooperation at those speeds. People here barely let you in if you wanna change lanes. Putting your turn signal on is like a sign for the guy in the other lane to speed up DONT GET IN FRONT OF ME. God forbid someone “cuts in”. Can you just imagine all these road raging ****tards actually cooperating? Because at 100 mph he’ll at 35 mph you should be cooperating. At 100...you should demand all drivers have courtesy to each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just browsing here.

I was on TX-130 (85 limit, alot of them do 90) and I have to say that America in general is not ready for this.. I witnessed people trying to pass in the right lane in a three lane section right before the right lane ended and merging back into traffic between cars who were not paying attention or reacting to the potential danger until it was almost too late, noone looking as far down the road as they could (at those speeds you get NO time to react, you have to be proactive about everything), I even witnessed a tire blow. Another thing is, speed is more like a multiplier. The amount of energy needed to get to or slowdown from the difference between 80 and 100 is actually exponentially higher than what is required between 60 and 80. You car also exponentially loses handling characteristics after 80 as well meaning your steering HAS to be precise as the wrong nudge and you're in a ditch. There is just alot of stuff that can go wrong at these speeds.

This can work decently in Germany because drivers are for more skilled, the roads are built for these speeds, and drivers typically have a respect for those speeds... in America people dont even have respect for 70... 100+? ...death trap... just sayin.
Yes to both. There is the sheer arrogance on the roads - "DON'T GET IN FRONT OF ME" is one of the biggest. Can't just let a car get in to another lane, they must get behind you. We can't even handle on/off ramps without people slamming on their brakes. And that's another thing: People constantly slamming on their damn brakes all the time over the littlest of things. Ever heard of "take your foot off of the gas pedal" to slow down?

But we can't expect that because people are NOT proactive. They do not look anywhere else but directly in front of them. They don't constantly check their side mirrors, their rearview mirrors, what's going on up ahead, the head of the driver in front of them - they don't do it, and you can tell that they don't do it because they always act surprised when a lane ends, or when the driver ahead of them slows down for whatever reason, and then they slam on the brakes - and next thing you know, we have a massive slow down because idiots who are driving should not be driving - especially at 100+.

Can you imagine - just imagine if we did this....how many people would NOT get over when they saw that left blinker from the car behind them, or when they saw that flash of headlights from a car a quarter to half mile back letting them know, "I'm on your arse in 2 seconds - please get over"? Can you imagine?! Some idiot is going to play police and slow down and not let the person pass, or won't even see it because they are too preoccupied with their phone, or conversation, or staring at rainbows (don't make me pull that story out again - happened along I5 in Seattle many years ago), or they just want to be control freak d**ks about the whole thing.

As for 100mph - what I found was that between 80-90, it was a bit rough on the handling - had to really pay attention, but at 100+, it was smoooooooth. It felt like floating on a cloud - it was fun, but there's no way I would do that here, I don't trust the people here. If I get back to Germany, I'll do it again because those people know how to fricken cooperate with each other.

Let me mention that when I lived there, I was 18 years old when I first arrived. I was not a "skilled" driver at all. I had barely driven in my life before I got over there. But what I did was listen in the class that we had before we would get a license (soldiers) to drive on the roads there, and I cooperated. I stayed to the damn right except to pass. I paid attention to my mirrors and what was going on around me at all times. It was the best damn lesson in driving ever - and I still have those to this day. But starting out, I didn't do well because I was "skilled", I just chose not to be a jerk about things, and cooperated fully.

Also - the 4 ways. Those are a must. Instead of just slamming on the brakes at those speeds, the 4 ways must be put on, because that is the sign that you need to stop, and you need to stop right this second. There is no question about it. Those 4 ways saved me from plowing into the back of a German who was in front of me on one of the autobahns. I knew about the 4 ways, was taught about them, and when it happened, I slammed on those brakes so hard - and those 4 ways gave me that millisecond of time extra that I needed for my brain to react "STOP NOW!" Without them, who knows what would have happened to me and that German dude in the car in front of me. We were going 100mph (160kmph) and we were not in the fast lane. I don't even think half of the drivers on the road even know where their hazard lights switch is on their dashboard.

No way in this country. No cooperation, control freaks, people who can't handle turning a fricken corner in their SUV without swinging way into the other lanes of traffic (I just saw that today), brake for every little thing, gawk at every little thing on the side of the road, slice through lanes to the off ramp without a care for anyone else on the road, crawl right up in your trunk while driving down the road, have road rage, or treat their cars like they were sitting on their living room sofa at home.

It won't work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California