Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:48 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some garages are big enough, that you can create a little studio apt. in one end, and still have room for the cars. Maybe that only works for families with small cars...
I have a house in Mountain View with a detached unit with a one car garage on one side and an office space on the other. It's not exactly a living space because there is only a half bathroom, no shower, and no kitchen. But you can put a couch back there and take naps.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:33 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Having to live in shared housing just to survive in this state is not a good option.
Yeah but you don't have to live in shared housing if you make 100k. I make far less than 100k. Those of us who are making a low hourly wage have to share housing, but if you make more than the median you should be fine.

Quote:
There are so many other nice places to live in this country with affordable housing that are not hostile to the middle class. California has great weather but you can create a better life just about anywhere else.
To those of us who grew up here, there are few places we would rather live. It is about shared values and lifestyles and goals.

I'm sure I could buy a house in Redneckville, Kansas, on $18.50/hr. But then I would have to live in Redneckville, Kansas. I don't want to live in Redneckville, Kansas, you see.

I want to live in Silicon Valley. This is my home. I grew up here.

So owning a house in Redneckville, Kansas, will never win favor in my heart against sharing an apartment in Silicon Valley.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:03 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have a house in Mountain View with a detached unit with a one car garage on one side and an office space on the other. It's not exactly a living space because there is only a half bathroom, no shower, and no kitchen. But you can put a couch back there and take naps.
That could be used as a guest room, since it has a half bath.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:06 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yeah but you don't have to live in shared housing if you make 100k. I make far less than 100k. Those of us who are making a low hourly wage have to share housing, but if you make more than the median you should be fine.

To those of us who grew up here, there are few places we would rather live. It is about shared values and lifestyles and goals.

I'm sure I could buy a house in Redneckville, Kansas, on $18.50/hr. But then I would have to live in Redneckville, Kansas. I don't want to live in Redneckville, Kansas, you see.

So owning a house in Redneckville, Kansas, will never win favor in my heart against sharing an apartment in Silicon Valley.
So why are you posting about your experience on a thread asking about people making 100K? How is your experience relevant to the topic?

Old 03-21-2019, 02:46 PM

864 posts, read 1,719,920 times
Have you lived anywhere else in the country? Are you as prejudiced as you seem about other areas? A person might be able to survive in Silicon Valley on $100K but you won't thrive. I could do better in KS in the tech industry than I could in Silicon Valley. The concept of shared housing for anybody but those in their college years is a rather foreign one for anybody outside of CA and NY.

If you're making less than $100K, are you spending hours of time commuting? Got a subsidized housing situation? Living with your parents? That Silicon Valley lifestyle has got to be compromised in someway. Maybe in the number of hours you're working?

I know down here in Santa Maria that the money would go a lot further.

Quote:

Old 03-21-2019, 07:39 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:

The flaw in you thought process is that you assume you can only buy in redneckville. It's quite possible to find something that offer most or all the amenities of where you are now.
I grew up in the Bay Area and spent all my life there. I never imagined living anywhere else until I actually looked to see what else is out there.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The flaw in you thought process is that you assume you can only buy in redneckville. It's quite possible to find something that offer most or all the amenities of where you are now.

Not really. It wouldn't be home. This is home. I grew up here. I don't want to move to Trumpville.

Quote:

I grew up in the Bay Area and spent all my life there. I never imagined living anywhere else until I actually looked to see what else is out there.
Don't you live in Trumpville now? That's a profound sacrifice, on many levels. I'll take 25% of a living room in Silicon Valley.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 03-21-2019 at 09:33 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
The concept of shared housing for anybody but those in their college years is a rather foreign one for anybody outside of CA and NY.
Well, I'm not from outside of California and New York. I'm from Silicon Valley, and shared housing is quite common. Plus I served on USN submarines. I have a lot more space sharing a 1 bedroom apartment than I ever did on the boat. lol. Enlisted berthing on a Trident is a bunkroom the size of a cubicle at a tech company, in which 9 people sleep. Officer's quarters are, again, the size of cubicle, but only three officers have to share it (although there is only enough deck space to fit about three folding chairs right next to each other). Here, I have about 25% of a living room to myself. To a submariner, that's luxury, lol.

Quote:
If you're making less than $100K, are you spending hours of time commuting? Got a subsidized housing situation? Living with your parents? That Silicon Valley lifestyle has got to be compromised in someway. Maybe in the number of hours you're working?
I have a long commute but only because I don't drive. If I drove for my commute it would take me about 30 minutes.

I do share with a parent...but only because he can't afford the rent by himself. I'm paying about 60% of his rent. The $900 I'm paying here would easily get me a bedroom to myself in downtown (I love downtown San Jose, lived there for about 18 months)...but then I couldn't send him money. I can't afford to do both, right now. If I were making about $25/hr, I would be good with moving...I'm not quite there yet. I'm working on it.

Quote:

I know down here in Santa Maria that the money would go a lot further.
Seems like that's out in the middle of nowhere. I've been to LA and San Diego a few times, and I like both places, but wouldn't want to live out in the countryside.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:17 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Not really. It wouldn't be home. This is home. I grew up here. I don't want to move to Trumpville.

Don't you live in Trumpville now? That's a profound sacrifice, on many levels. I'll take 25% of a living room in Silicon Valley.
Yet showing your ignorance of what the rest of the country is like and then making comparisons based on what you actually know little about. I live in Cobb county which voted for Hillary, so it is not trumpville as you say.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...oxEK5TiUcPeXJ/

My first neighborhood I moved to here had people more liberal than many Californians, all with southern accents. You stereotypeing other areas and people are a perfect reason why some people don’t like Californians and think they are condescending snobs.

The Bay Area was Home for me too, but I found a better place for myself. Tell me what sacrifices I am making here in Georgia, I am curious to know since I have lived in both areas and you have not.
They better be pretty substantial. It’s one thing to rent a room and another to only get 1/4 of a room.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:40 PM

864 posts, read 1,719,920 times
Wow, I feel sorry for you. Most people would be pretty embarrassed to be living at home after age 21 and without a car especially after serving in the USN. Kudos to helping your father but that should be done from your own place. Sounds like you're both stubborn and should move from California to a more affordable living location. You don't have to be living the way you are.

Santa Maria has a population of 107,014 as of 2017 so isn't exactly in the countryside. In my opinion, LA, SFC, and San Diego are all hellholes that I'd never want to live in. I'm actually in a situation where I'm making significantly more here than I could anywhere else even after factoring in the cost of living/housing but that's not true for most people. Wages have not increased enough out here to make up for the difference in housing prices. The only thing that is keeping Californians from fleeing en masse is the constant increasing of property values and prop 13. If wages don't keep up with property values and you can't afford to purchase a house, you're really getting gouged. When the property bubble bursts again, a lot of people are going to be in trouble.

Quote:
Well, I'm not from outside of California and New York. I'm from Silicon Valley, and shared housing is quite common. Plus I served on USN submarines. I have a lot more space sharing a 1 bedroom apartment than I ever did on the boat. lol. Enlisted berthing on a Trident is a bunkroom the size of a cubicle at a tech company, in which 9 people sleep. Officer's quarters are, again, the size of cubicle, but only three officers have to share it (although there is only enough deck space to fit about three folding chairs right next to each other). Here, I have about 25% of a living room to myself. To a submariner, that's luxury, lol.

I have a long commute but only because I don't drive. If I drove for my commute it would take me about 30 minutes.

I do share with a parent...but only because he can't afford the rent by himself. I'm paying about 60% of his rent. The $900 I'm paying here would easily get me a bedroom to myself in downtown (I love downtown San Jose, lived there for about 18 months)...but then I couldn't send him money. I can't afford to do both, right now. If I were making about $25/hr, I would be good with moving...I'm not quite there yet. I'm working on it.

Seems like that's out in the middle of nowhere. I've been to LA and San Diego a few times, and I like both places, but wouldn't want to live out in the countryside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California