Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 08:13 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Tell me what sacrifices I am making here in Georgia
You answered your own question, my friend. As I said, Trumpville. And the isolated little place you are living may not itself be Trumpville, but only five people live there.

I'll take my 25% of a living room in a big city that voted for Clinton. Of course it's more than who they voted for; it is the cultural values which lead to that vote. Few people who grew up in Silicon Valley or the Bay Area would ever consider moving to Georgia. Seattle, maybe. New York City, maybe. Georgia, no. Not at all.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 03-22-2019 at 08:28 PM..

Old 03-22-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Wow, I feel sorry for you. Most people would be pretty embarrassed to be living at home after age 21 and without a car especially after serving in the USN.
Again, quite luxurious compared to my living quarters on the USS Florida SSBN-728. I have more space than the Captain does. An enlisted bunkroom (for paygrade E-1 through E-6) is about the size of a cubicle in a tech company and holds nine people.

Living at home...no, this is not the house in which I grew up. That house had five bedrooms, a large front yard, a large back yard with a large swimming pool and 24 jet spa, and is currently valued at $800,000+. My father lost his high paying job ($400k) as part of the dot com burst just after I joined the USN. He ultimately had to give the house back to the bank. I've lived in several other places since I got out of the USN (my first job), but had to move into this apartment with him because he can't afford the rent on his own and I can't afford to both help him and live somewhere else.

Once that changes I will of course move back into a room (one room in a shared apartment) in downtown San Jose, my favorite spot.

Shared housing is the normal circumstance when you live in an expensive area and make less than the median household income. Maybe it's shameful in a small town that is cheap because no one wants to live there, but I don't live in a small town.

Quote:
Kudos to helping your father but that should be done from your own place.
It would seem you are going to start sending me the extra $800 per month I need for that. Or, wait, you want it to be my own exclusive place? No one else on the lease?? lmao. Ok, It would seem you're going to starting me the extra $2000+ per month I would need for that.

Quote:
Sounds like you're both stubborn and should move from California to a more affordable living location. You don't have to be living the way you are.
lol....more affordable but, crucially, not more desirable. At least, not more desirable to me, and my desires are the only ones relevant in this context.

Quote:
In my opinion, LA, SFC, and San Diego are all hellholes that I'd never want to live in.
There you go. I feel the same about places like Smalltown, Georgia and Trumpville, California. Since we've established that we both have a lot of reasons for wanting to live where we each live, I propose we both stay where we are for right now.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:07 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
You answered your own question, my friend. As I said, Trumpville. And the isolated little place you are living may not itself be Trumpville, but only five people live there.

I'll take my 25% of a living room in a big city that voted for Clinton. Of course it's more than who they voted for; it is the cultural values which lead to that vote. Few people who grew up in Silicon Valley or the Bay Area would ever consider moving to Georgia. Seattle, maybe. New York City, maybe. Georgia, no. Not at all.
You once posted how you were more intelligent than most people. Well you now have proved that you are not. You make statements that have no factual basis, just emotional trying to defend your poor choices in life.
5 people? I can only laugh that you think I live in an isolated area whereas you live in 1/4 of a room and pay $900 a month to do so. Then you have a long commute to your low paying job.Maybe you should research the Atlanta Metro Area before making a statement like that. Oh wait, smart people do that and that you aren't one of them.
The San Jose Metro Area population is 1,998,463. The Atlanta Metro Area that I live in is 5,884,736. If I'm in a little isolated place, what does that make your place at just 32% the population?
Personally if you want to live with your head buried in the sand and be totally unaware of what the rest of the world is really like (not what you stereotype), that's fine by me, it's your life. Just bear in mind you have no strength on what you say since you've never been to Georgia, whereas I've lived in the Bay area, spent a lot of time in San Jose, and lived in Georgia.
I think I can make a much more accurate comparison.
If Georgia is such a backwater area, it must be doing something right since it passed California for film production.

But hey, I get it. You are an underachiever who settles for a life most others would consider mediocre from both career and living circumstances. I can see why you would bash other places to try to make you feel better about your choices.
Unfortunately most people look at you as a strange outlier.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You once posted how you were more intelligent than most people. Well you now have proved that you are not.
lol. yeah, ok. Johns Hopkins University has proof that I am. There's only a 4% chance that I'm replying to someone more intelligent than myself at this moment.

Quote:

The San Jose Metro Area population is 1,998,463. The Atlanta Metro Area that I live in is 5,884,736. If I'm in a little isolated place, what does that make your place at just 32% the population?
First you live in a small town far from Atlanta, now you live in Atlanta. Make up your mind.

Atlanta itself -- the City of Atlanta -- is blue, yes. The rest of Georgia is far too red for me to be interested in living there.
https://www.ajc.com/news/map-georgia...election-2016/

So, basically I wouldn't be interested in moving to Atlanta.

No, I would not want to live in a place with five people, all of whom voted for Trump, just so I could afford to buy a house. I don't even WANT a house!!!! So why would I do that?? What IN THE WORLD could possibly motivate me to do such a thing? Explain that to me.

Quote:
But hey, I get it. You are an underachiever who settles for a life most others would consider mediocre from both career and living circumstances.
Nope, that has nothing to do with my point whatsoever.

Title of thread: Can we live on $100,000/year in Cali?

My AGI when I did my taxes for 2018: about $38000.
My taxable income on my 1040 for 2018: about $26000.

Where I live: California.

Answer to title of thread: yes.

Now, if you put all kinds of restrictions on that, can I live in California on 100k and have exactly the same living arrangements as I could on 100k in Georgia, then the answer is no. But that's not the question asked in the thread title.

CAN YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA ON 100K? YES YOU CAN. People live in California on far less. They raise kids in Silicon Valley on far less.

Your definition of living comfortably is dramatically different from my own. You require ownership of a large home to live comfortably. I do not.

If I made $100k, I would own a 2 bedroom condo in downtown San Jose and pay 100% of my dad's rent and living expenses. I would also own a Tesla Model S with Ludicrous Acceleration. Maybe YOU couldn't be comfortable in such circumstances, but I could.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:49 AM

864 posts, read 1,720,839 times
I'm more amazed that nobody is calling you out for your bigotry It's one thing to prefer certain areas of the country for weather, scenery, or economic reasons but it's totally another to not want to move to an area because you might find a conservative or somebody that doesn't share the exact same ideology as you do. You're trying to slur any small town by calling it Redneckville or Trumpville. It's this culture that you're associating with Silicon Valley that scares the hell out of me. If this ideology is the norm then the tech wizards there should never be allowed to censor the Internet.

If you're more open to people of differing viewpoints, there's a whole country out there where you can actually "live" and not just "survive" on less than $100K/yr.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:37 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Quote:
I could never move to a red state. Values are incompatible. Even the right wingers in California are much closer to my own beliefs than the right wingers in red states.
First off, this thread isn't about YOU and the sacrifices you're willing to put up with (most people with families are not going to live in a 1 bd apartment).

Secondly, you are incredibly ignorant about the rest of the country and their politics. But you say you've never lived anywhere else so I don't expect you to know that. Typical Bay Area elitist attitude (although you're not an elite here by any means).

Please stop derailing threads with your drivel.

Quote:
If I made $100k, I would own a 2 bedroom condo in downtown San Jose and pay 100% of my dad's rent and living expenses. I would also own a Tesla Model S with Ludicrous Acceleration. Maybe YOU couldn't be comfortable in such circumstances, but I could.
HAHAHA Sorry, but no, you wouldn't. But sure keep thinking you could. A model S starts at 73K btw. Keep dreaming.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
lol. yeah, ok. Johns Hopkins University has proof that I am. There's only a 4% chance that I'm replying to someone more intelligent than myself at this moment.

First you live in a small town far from Atlanta, now you live in Atlanta. Make up your mind.

Atlanta itself -- the City of Atlanta -- is blue, yes. The rest of Georgia is far too red for me to be interested in living there.
https://www.ajc.com/news/map-georgia...election-2016/

So, basically I wouldn't be interested in moving to Atlanta.

No, I would not want to live in a place with five people, all of whom voted for Trump, just so I could afford to buy a house. I don't even WANT a house!!!! So why would I do that?? What IN THE WORLD could possibly motivate me to do such a thing? Explain that to me.

Nope, that has nothing to do with my point whatsoever.

Title of thread: Can we live on $100,000/year in Cali?

My AGI when I did my taxes for 2018: about $38000.
My taxable income on my 1040 for 2018: about $26000.

Where I live: California.

Answer to title of thread: yes.

Now, if you put all kinds of restrictions on that, can I live in California on 100k and have exactly the same living arrangements as I could on 100k in Georgia, then the answer is no. But that's not the question asked in the thread title.

CAN YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA ON 100K? YES YOU CAN. People live in California on far less. They raise kids in Silicon Valley on far less.

Your definition of living comfortably is dramatically different from my own. You require ownership of a large home to live comfortably. I do not.

Lol, John Hopkins university as a patient? Do you have a degree there? Nope.

So none of that counts.

I know it’s hard for you being so smart and all, but have someone help you find a map and look up marietta and east Cobb on a map. You obviously aren’t smart enough to do it on your own when you make a claim it’s a tiny town far away from Atlanta. They butt up against the city of Atlanta just like Fremont butts up to union city. Oops. Sorry you need a map to find those two cities too I’ll bet.
I feel bad for you so I’ll help
“Home to about 175,890, East Cobb is an unincorporated community in Cobb County, Georgia, United States. It is an affluent northern suburb of Atlanta.[2]”
That’s where I live.
If you made 100 k you would not do what you say. It wouldn’t fit in the 100k budget, but of course you don’t know that because you’re really not as smart as you believe you are. You’ll never make that much money. Those who do know they can’t afford what you say.

It may be beyond your intelligence, but reread the op’s post. It states he has a family and asks if he can afford 100k living. That’s his family he is asking about. Not you..Not some single outlier with a naive, distorted view of the rest of the world and no sense of economic costs who is foolish enough to pay 900 a month for quarter of a room.
I’m not putting you down for you choices or place in life as much as I am about your beliefs of how the rest of the United States is outside your little cubbyhole in San Jose. For some reason you seem to think you are above everyone else but in truth most people here are either laughing at you or feeling sorry for you.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
I'm more amazed that nobody is calling you out for your bigotry It's one thing to prefer certain areas of the country for weather, scenery, or economic reasons but it's totally another to not want to move to an area because you might find a conservative or somebody that doesn't share the exact same ideology as you do. You're trying to slur any small town by calling it Redneckville or Trumpville. It's this culture that you're associating with Silicon Valley that scares the hell out of me. If this ideology is the norm then the tech wizards there should never be allowed to censor the Internet.

If you're more open to people of differing viewpoints, there's a whole country out there where you can actually "live" and not just "survive" on less than $100K/yr.
Fortunately he is a pretty insignificant part of Silicon Valley. Not one of the intelligent mover and shakers or contributers.
Silicon Valley achieved success because of intelligence, drive to succeed, openness to new ideas, etc.
He displays none of these traits, just an underachiever who is a legend in his own mind.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:15 PM

Sigh....

I'll just repeat what I originally said.

"There are vast and profound cultural differences between the state of California and the state of Georgia, such that most people who grew up in California would not want to live in Georgia, and most who grew up in Georgia would not want to live in California."

Fair? Surely you would agree with that statement.

I mean, one COULD just buy a US Flag sail driven yacht with solar panels and batteries, and live out at sea, and just come into port every few months for food, and then go back out to sea again. It would be very cheap...but some wouldn't want to do that. Just because something is cheap and affordable doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is interested in doing it.

Some things are not a matter of money.

As to my IQ, yes, I do have a relatively high IQ. I'm sorry if you don't believe it, aslowdodge, but you are not qualified to make that assessment. People who are qualified did make that assessment, and yes, at the age of 12 I was offered a full ride scholarship to Johns Hopkins University, given that I passed their accelerated program in order to skip high school. When I was in the Navy I met some researchers from the Applied Physics Lab at JHU, and I asked them about that program...they confirmed that there are 14 year old freshmen at JHU. I can't prove it without posting personal information, so you're just going to have to live with the uncertainty.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:34 PM

119 posts, read 211,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...l#post54725273

OP decided to go to Tampa. I don't think they were serious about California, otherwise they would have been more involved with this thread...
We were serious about California but it does not fit within our budget for the location and lifestyle we want. There are a lot of off topic discussions here so I prefer not to waste my time being "involved" with those conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California