Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 12:49 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Since I moved to Georgia the more I live here and the more I come back to,visit California, the more I realize that for me it’s not worth coming back. The one thing that would sway me is to live near the beach on SoCal. After watching the tv show “ grace and Frankie “ and seeing that beach house, I thought I’d really like to move back to California.
Then seeing the cost was a reality slap in the face.
The beach and the weather are the two biggest factors of living in California outside of career and family.
The weather here isn’t as oppressive as people believe. But here in Atlanta we don’t have the beach. We have lots of rivers and lakes, but no beach.
How about the more affordable beach areas nearer Atlanta, aslowdodge? You are ~ 4-5 hours from places like Hilton Head and Tybee Islands. Then there's Jacksonville and all of FL for more affordable beaches. Of course you have to deal with other things like hurricanes and the like.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 12:52 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
OP: What brought this up?

Old 03-04-2019, 11:26 PM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
How about the more affordable beach areas nearer Atlanta, aslowdodge? You are ~ 4-5 hours from places like Hilton Head and Tybee Islands. Then there's Jacksonville and all of FL for more affordable beaches. Of course you have to deal with other things like hurricanes and the like.

Derek
Honestly I still have in my mind the SoCal beach lifestyle. Maybe it no longer exists or is too crowded nowadays.
The east coast beaches are neat areas, but none get me excited like SoCal. I just have this vision of me cruising down hwy 1 in an expensive convertible with the top down and pulling into my driveway of my beach house.
Outside of that I’m really happy living where I am at.
I owned a few beach houses on Galveston island. I don’t know if the elements are the same on all beaches, but the maintenance on those houses was a lot. Maybe it’s the humidity. I decided I would never buy a beach house again and just rent one when I wanted.
Anyways I think the SoCal idea was the only one I would make an exception for, well if I could afford it. I just bought a newer Lexus so I will be making road trip to the coasts both Atlantic and gulf in a few months as spring arrives. I’m dying to visit savannah.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:08 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Honestly I still have in my mind the SoCal beach lifestyle. Maybe it no longer exists or is too crowded nowadays.
The east coast beaches are neat areas, but none get me excited like SoCal. I just have this vision of me cruising down hwy 1 in an expensive convertible with the top down and pulling into my driveway of my beach house.
Outside of that I’m really happy living where I am at.
I owned a few beach houses on Galveston island. I don’t know if the elements are the same on all beaches, but the maintenance on those houses was a lot. Maybe it’s the humidity. I decided I would never buy a beach house again and just rent one when I wanted.
Anyways I think the SoCal idea was the only one I would make an exception for, well if I could afford it. I just bought a newer Lexus so I will be making road trip to the coasts both Atlantic and gulf in a few months as spring arrives. I’m dying to visit savannah.
One of the things people forget about CA beaches is that they are cold, the water is cold. The Atlantic and Gulf are much warmer and make being in the water much more enjoyable. And for those who will claim Oh no it is like a bath tub. No it isn't, it is still far cooler than the air. CA ifs wayyyy cooler and in fact, with rare exception like this year in some places, it is cold in the middle of Summer.

I know I grew up at Newport Beach and have been in the water in SoCal and the Mid Coastal areas as well.

Now I live 8 miles from the beach and have been there every month and while in Dec/Jan the water was a bit cooler, I had no problem with it. Still far warmer than CA.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:13 AM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
One of the things people forget about CA beaches is that they are cold, the water is cold. The Atlantic and Gulf are much warmer and make being in the water much more enjoyable. And for those who will claim Oh no it is like a bath tub. No it isn't, it is still far cooler than the air. CA ifs wayyyy cooler and in fact, with rare exception like this year in some places, it is cold in the middle of Summer.

I know I grew up at Newport Beach and have been in the water in SoCal and the Mid Coastal areas as well.

Now I live 8 miles from the beach and have been there every month and while in Dec/Jan the water was a bit cooler, I had no problem with it. Still far warmer than CA.
The funny thing is I don’t even care to go into the water. I just like the ambiance of stereotypical SoCal,beach life if you have money.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:43 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

You must never tried swimming the Atlantic near Boston, I did, much colder than SoCal. But SoCal is not as warm as Hawaii.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is I don’t even care to go into the water. I just like the ambiance of stereotypical SoCal,beach life if you have money.
Yes, in my opinion the most beautiful beaches are in CA for sure. When ever I and my wife visit we go to several beaches in SoCal, we just avoid the water. However I still enjoy getting in the water, so warm is good.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You must never tried swimming the Atlantic near Boston, I did, much colder than SoCal. But SoCal is not as warm as Hawaii.
That far north is a different issue. Kinda like trying to swim in WA during January.

From GA South and the Gulf it is warn the vast majority of the year. Further North and it begins to get colder and then freezing.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:10 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
I was born and lived in Las Vegas until I was 18. Now I live within walking distance from the beach... going on about 7 years now. When I first moved here I froze my rear off. Now I am used to the cooler weather, and I surf 3-4 times a week, all year, rain or shine, and I swim laps every morning and evening. I can leave my window open and late at night I can hear the waves crashing on the shore.
I usually run around in shorts and a tank top unless it’s super cold out.
Now when I go home to visit my parents... I find the heat oppressive. Growing up it never really bothered me. Beach living isn’t bad once you get acclimatized, but I can see where someone who just visits the beach now and then would be affected by the cooler air and water temps.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:49 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Amen to that, brotha!

Even though we're moving soon for the same reasons of affordable housing while preparing to send kids to college and save for retirement, we'll never forget the wonders of living on the Monterey Peninsula next to the Big Sur coast. If $$ were no object, we'd stay for sure. Here's how I just celebrated my birthday in the best way possible. Mountains, rivers and ocean all in one place... right in our backyard.

Derek

Those pics almost make me want to cry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California