Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:29 PM

119 posts, read 139,493 times

Advertisements

The usual move seems to be from California to Texas (which I did, a little reluctantly). But if you've made the reverse, even if it's from California to the South/Texas back to California, how do you view the regions? How would you compare and contrast them? Which do you prefer? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 12:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
The usual move seems to be from California to Texas (which I did, a little reluctantly). But if you've made the reverse, even if it's from California to the South/Texas back to California, how do you view the regions? How would you compare and contrast them? Which do you prefer? Thanks.
I have moved from CA to the South (Several States) and from TX back to CA. In SoCal by the coast or just inland, you can't beat the weather. In the South the people are more friendly and helpful and less driven by money. Lower cost of living overall in the South and TX than CA. While cold, I prefer the SoCal beaches to the Gulf, but the gulf wayyyy over the NorCal beaches. the Atlantic from SC south has the best waters. Pay in most fields is lower in the South and TX, but overall cost is less so what you make goes further. More things to do in CA if you can afford them and deal with huge traffic issues, unless living in the middle of nowhere Ca. Other than right in the major cities in the South and TX, the pace of life is far less hectic than in the majority of populated areas in CA. It really comes down to what you make, what your potential for growth is and what you are willing to give up. Some will share a room to live in SoCal and some will endure cold winters to have a nice home. Some prefer the huge variety of things to do and places to eat in CA and others like a simpler more hometown feel. Individual choice.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:01 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
My neighbor moved to Texas and back. He is renting though. He told my husband he didnt like Texas.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-06-2019 at 02:12 PM..

Old 03-06-2019, 01:48 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,241 times
We bought a 2nd home in Northwest Arkansas and are in the process of selling it and going full time back in CA.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:10 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
We bought a 2nd home in Northwest Arkansas and are in the process of selling it and going full time back in CA.

I know a lady who's a Los Angeles native that retired in Bella Vista with her late husband. She loves it and has no intention of returning to California. I'm kind of considering it in about five years (my mother's parents are originally from the Arkansas Ozarks).

Old 03-08-2019, 06:14 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
I wife and I moved to Florida we’re there for about a year and then came back to California San Diego specifically. We liked Florida, But her job was here and I think she missed it so we came back. Now that we are back to probably move again not sure where, But being back made us realize all the reasons that we left, mostly the overcrowding. We could afford a home here but we just can’t justify spending so much to get so little. I definitely felt like people in Florida were friendlier and have their priorities straight. We also enjoyed the slower pace of life. Part of the reason we came back to California was my family is here but now we are thinking living somewhere in between her family in Oklahoma and mine Like Colorado northern New Mexico or northern Arizona, Maybe even Utah

Old 03-08-2019, 06:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I wife and I moved to Florida we’re there for about a year and then came back to California San Diego specifically. We liked Florida, But her job was here and I think she missed it so we came back. Now that we are back to probably move again not sure where, But being back made us realize all the reasons that we left, mostly the overcrowding. We could afford a home here but we just can’t justify spending so much to get so little. I definitely felt like people in Florida were friendlier and have their priorities straight. We also enjoyed the slower pace of life. Part of the reason we came back to California was my family is here but now we are thinking living somewhere in between her family in Oklahoma and mine Like Colorado northern New Mexico or northern Arizona, Maybe even Utah
I have friends in NM that love it there. Albuquerque. Lad back and a days drive to CA or OK.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:49 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have friends in NM that love it there. Albuquerque. Lad back and a days drive to CA or OK.
Yeah looks like it’s just what I want some terrain and not too crowded or busy. The only problem with areas like that is that it is right between our two families and doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense to move to somewhere where we don’t know anyone again.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:46 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I know a lady who's a Los Angeles native that retired in Bella Vista with her late husband. She loves it and has no intention of returning to California. I'm kind of considering it in about five years (my mother's parents are originally from the Arkansas Ozarks).
It's funny because we were searching for more rain and green in the summer but the winters are too gloomy for us. The opposite of San Diego which is brown in summer but green in the winter. We don't like the cold or ice on the roads / driveways etc.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:48 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
My childhood best friend was an OC native who has lived in Hot Springs, AR for about ten years. She loves the lush green trees and foliage and the open spaces around her house (lots of wildlife). She's also a water lover, and she and her husband and teenage kids spend a lot of time swimming and boating. I think the low COL is a big plus, too. The only negative I have heard from her is that it's pretty humid most of the time and they have to run a dehumidifier in their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California