Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:26 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
There is a great deal of generalizing about Indian immigrants here, some of it unfortunate. Integration into a new/foreign country is a journey (much as life is). Some are at an earlier stage of the journey, while others are farther along. How far they proceed on the journey depends upon a number of life factors and circumstances.

As an Indian immigrant myself - I can share my personal story to provide some context. I came to the US to pursue a doctoral degree. The off-campus housing roommates I had were all Indian and that was not an accident. Had a number of friends from other countries too along, of course, the fellow American students as well. Most people I socialized were Indian or other foreign students - as more of the American students had a family and social life outside that wasn’t really that readily available. They typically had more money (or at least less worries about money) than we did.

After my PhD, I progressed through my profession and lived in several places. Never really in sought an Indian enclave. But, there are Indian food ingredients that were only available in the Indian stores, and access to them was (and still is) important. Otherwise, the nationality or color of anyone became increasingly less important than their ideas and conduct. My wife is European immigrant and the people invited in our wedding were French (my wife is not French), and Americans only. Our friends are all types, mostly American. If you were to ask me to name 20 closest friends - I’d probably have 2 Indian, 1 French, 2 Germans, and the rest Americans - one is even a Republican!

Of course, not everyone gets to the same point in their integration journey. Depends on their circumstances. But, my point is that early in the process, it is more comforting to seek out the familiar. I am sure that is universal.

The few threads on CD are merely data points - too few to generalize from.
I see your point early in the immigration stage, but I’ve seen requests from Indians who have lived in the states for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I see your point early in the immigration stage, but I’ve seen requests from Indians who have lived in the states for years.
First, how do you know how many years someone has lived in the US? How many requests are you generalizing from? To draw conclusions from what is, at best, anecdotal evidence consisting of too few data points is simply silly...

We have lived in several cities - with plenty of Indians, but no concentration at all. There may be areas of concentration where you are, but that's not necessarily the case everywhere. People, Indian or otherwise, choose concentrate in similar areas for a number of reasons - proximity to job, quality of schools, cost, social, educational and economic status, stage of life and so on. Perhaps those things align somewhere. There are various areas of ethnic and racial concentration. There is little Indian about all this.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:12 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
There are other immigrant groups that are clannish such as Iranians and Koreans in LA but the issue with India is the large numbers. India will likely surpass Mexico as the largest immigrant group in California by 2030, especially if the Kamala Harris/Mike Lee Country Cap Bill passes.
And: So what?

Old 03-15-2019, 05:43 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
I would think - that if one wanted to live in a community where there are East Indians that one would already be integrated into the activities that that culture affords.

40 years ago I dated a Goan. From India but his family fled to Kenya and then subsequently San Francisco.

They are VERY tight-knit - and tribal. And while I did date him for 3 years - his family (actually his mother) did not want us to marry. His mother chose his bride. It was not a happy ending for me.

They have cultural celebrations and are church going (Catholic). I probably was saved by his mother - we probably would not have lasted as I had a mind of my own and she demanded a certain subservience.

Too bad he couldn't think for himself.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:52 PM

There are all kinds - perhaps in each ethnic group. You were saved by his mother, be happy!

PS: There was/is no discrimination or threat against Goans in India. So, they emigrated to Kenya rather than fled (unless they were fleeing the consequences of some personal crime).

Old 03-16-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
First, how do you know how many years someone has lived in the US? How many requests are you generalizing from? To draw conclusions from what is, at best, anecdotal evidence consisting of too few data points is simply silly...

We have lived in several cities - with plenty of Indians, but no concentration at all. There may be areas of concentration where you are, but that's not necessarily the case everywhere. People, Indian or otherwise, choose concentrate in similar areas for a number of reasons - proximity to job, quality of schools, cost, social, educational and economic status, stage of life and so on. Perhaps those things align somewhere. There are various areas of ethnic and racial concentration. There is little Indian about all this.
Well I see several of my replies got delete as did one of yours. But anyway one of the things I had mentioned was that some of those posters actually wrote how long they had been in the states.
I also mentioned that I was only remarking on posts on cd, so that is my sample group.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:32 PM

Let's move on. Just bear in mind that like any large enough segment of people, there are similarities and differences among the Indians you see in the US - with a large variation among the behavior and conduct of people. A very high percentage are here legally and contributing to the economy as well as the society. If some of them prefer to socialize with other Indians, that's their right and causes no harm to others or be seen as rejection of others. If there is a discussion of people's affinities, that should not be limited to Indians. Nor should it be used to infer the rejection of others.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Let's move on. Just bear in mind that like any large enough segment of people, there are similarities and differences among the Indians you see in the US - with a large variation among the behavior and conduct of people. A very high percentage are here legally and contributing to the economy as well as the society. If some of them prefer to socialize with other Indians, that's their right and causes no harm to others or be seen as rejection of others. If there is a discussion of people's affinities, that should not be limited to Indians. Nor should it be used to infer the rejection of others.
Agreed.
Just so you know my experience with Indians. I worked out with one in my gym for year until he got hurt. But another Indian friend of his wanted to work out with me after that. We did so for two years 4 days a week two hours a day. He dropped off after his kids got older. The next year I worked out with two more Indians. All of them were good guys.
I will still stay with my opinions and you can stay with yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California