Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 02:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,427 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My office location is in "Walnut Grove Ave, Rosemead,CA" . I am looking for good apartments in or nearby Rosemead,CA location. Some of my friends suggested me to look in Arcadia,CA location as there are good schools. But when I checked in google from Arcadia to Rosemead through bus its 1hr or more travel time, its far. And I even dont know which location and apartment is good in Arcadia,CA. So i am totally confused which place to relocate.

I am looking for place which will be near to my office and no much travel time (especially by bus).I am mainly looking for apartment where there is more Indian Community ,near by Good preschools(Fullday) and good public transport like bus.
So anyone staying in or nearby Rosemead,CA location..please suggest some apartment names and near by good preschools names. ...Pls do the needful..Thank you..

Last edited by Count David; 03-11-2019 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 07:42 PM

36 posts, read 17,930 times
dude this is america. there are no 'indian areas'. get out of your comfort zone and just move somewhere.

fyi i am of indian descent

Old 03-10-2019, 10:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
If you want to live among Indians you might want to try Canada. South Asians are the largest visible minority here.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:33 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Most people don't make requests like these because they don't want to be labeled a racist.
I have noticed over the years that only Indians from India make this request. They are moving to America for a better life, more money, all the advantages of America, but don't want to integrate. Just keep to themselves and take it seems.
I don't see other Asians making these requests. Certainly white people wouldn't dare ask for suggestions for an white neighborhood. For some reason Indians get a pass and seem insensitive to racism.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:57 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Ask your friends, not on here. There are Indian areas East of Pasadena. Find Hindus to ask about specifics. Welcome!

Aside: there are lots of great things about Indian culture, but the caste system is not one of them. Please do not try to import the terrible social structure which is keeping your home country a backwater while [more] egalitarian China surges ahead. The 1st-gen American children of Indian FOB's know better. Follow their lead.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:16 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Most people don't make requests like these because they don't want to be labeled a racist.
I have noticed over the years that only Indians from India make this request. They are moving to America for a better life, more money, all the advantages of America, but don't want to integrate. Just keep to themselves and take it seems.
I don't see other Asians making these requests. Certainly white people wouldn't dare ask for suggestions for an white neighborhood. For some reason Indians get a pass and seem insensitive to racism.
Uh, what planet do you live on? Ever heard of "Chinatown", "Little Italy", "Koreatown", "Little Tokyo"? Every major city has at least one of these types of areas. Everybody knows Indians and Asians are at least as racist as whites. Actually, everybody's racist, just some races are more downtrodden and outspoken about their disadvantages, and some [most] people manage their inherrent racism and don't act on it, or act to counter it to keep society functioning well.

Rich comfortable educated people (of whatever color) want to live in a racially-integrated (diverse) neighborhood of rich educated people, because monocultural areas can turn dangerous with racist psychopaths threatening you/family if you don't toe their sociopolitical line.

Poor, struggling people want to live in a monoculture because its one less source of stress on their lives.
FOB's want to live in areas with resources similar to what they have at home, to help them adjust slowly. That doesn't mean they're not integrating. Nobody steps off the boat [plane] wearing a Red Sox jersey and eating a hot dog. Or sporting a hipsterbeard and drinking a soy latte. Or whatever America you pick. Integration is a slow process, and it's rarely complete in 1 generation.

The key is to bring the good and leave the bad behind. Case in point: Indians need to ditch the caste system. They can't do it at home, so India is always going to lag behind the rest of the world, no matter how hard they study and work. It's not that I "don't understand thousands of years of Indian culture" it's that they can't see the forest for the Dhalits.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:36 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijetham View Post
Hi,
My office location is in "Walnut Grove Ave, Rosemead,CA" . I am looking for good apartments in or nearby Rosemead,CA location. Some of my friends suggested me to look in Arcadia,CA location as there are good schools. But when I checked in google from Arcadia to Rosemead through bus its 1hr or more travel time, its far. And I even dont know which location and apartment is good in Arcadia,CA. So i am totally confused which place to relocate.

I am looking for place which will be near to my office and no much travel time (especially by bus).I am mainly looking for apartment where there is more Indian Community ,near by Good preschools(Fullday) and good public transport like bus.
So anyone staying in or nearby Rosemead,CA location..please suggest some apartment names and near by good preschools names. ...Pls do the needful..Thank you..

Bus service is not reliable in USA - especially for Office commute. Rosemead to Arcadia is barely 6 miles- why is it taking 1 hour ?? Anyways Google maps should be your friend. Look for commute by those Metro Train lines which are faster and you can commute into nearby suburbs on Metro Train. Otherwise Take an apartment as close as possible to your office in Rosemead CA.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Uh, what planet do you live on? Ever heard of "Chinatown", "Little Italy", "Koreatown", "Little Tokyo"? Every major city has at least one of these types of areas. Everybody knows Indians and Asians are at least as racist as whites. Actually, everybody's racist, just some races are more downtrodden and outspoken about their disadvantages, and some [most] people manage their inherrent racism and don't act on it, or act to counter it to keep society functioning well.

Rich comfortable educated people (of whatever color) want to live in a racially-integrated (diverse) neighborhood of rich educated people, because monocultural areas can turn dangerous with racist psychopaths threatening you/family if you don't toe their sociopolitical line.

Poor, struggling people want to live in a monoculture because its one less source of stress on their lives.
FOB's want to live in areas with resources similar to what they have at home, to help them adjust slowly. That doesn't mean they're not integrating. Nobody steps off the boat [plane] wearing a Red Sox jersey and eating a hot dog. Or sporting a hipsterbeard and drinking a soy latte. Or whatever America you pick. Integration is a slow process, and it's rarely complete in 1 generation.

The key is to bring the good and leave the bad behind. Case in point: Indians need to ditch the caste system. They can't do it at home, so India is always going to lag behind the rest of the world, no matter how hard they study and work. It's not that I "don't understand thousands of years of Indian culture" it's that they can't see the forest for the Dhalits.
Uh , l live on the same planet you do. Certainly I’ve heard of these places. I made the observation that here on cd it’s indians that always ask to live in a segregated areas. I don’t doubt that most people have a degree of racism in them, but show me here on cd where someone has asked to live in a white area, Asian area, etc.
But keep in mind they apparently were integrated enough to land a job to move here in many cases. Some requests were from Indians already living in the states with a job and either getting a transfer or starting another job, yet still wanted to keep themselves insulated from the rest of America.

I know of the caste system. Even in America it still exists for them. My gym workout partners were Indian . I could tell they kept themselves segregated from other Indians that were darker or lower economic class.
All did well financially and knew each other, but tended to avoid talking to other Indians.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:01 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Uh , l live on the same planet you do. Certainly I’ve heard of these places. I made the observation that here on cd it’s indians that always ask to live in a segregated areas. I don’t doubt that most people have a degree of racism in them, but show me here on cd where someone has asked to live in a white area, Asian area, etc.
But keep in mind they apparently were integrated enough to land a job to move here in many cases. Some requests were from Indians already living in the states with a job and either getting a transfer or starting another job, yet still wanted to keep themselves insulated from the rest of America.

I know of the caste system. Even in America it still exists for them. My gym workout partners were Indian . I could tell they kept themselves segregated from other Indians that were darker or lower economic class.
All did well financially and knew each other, but tended to avoid talking to other Indians.

Looking to live in Apartment Complex full of their own country people is not always about Racism. For many people, they have not lived in this country before. For some Indians, food habits are an issue as they are vegetarians and ost of them dont eat Pork / beef. For some Indians, language is a barrier. Even if they know English well, their heavy accent makes it difficult to get understood. Public Transportation is not adequate. For new immigrants, initial help such as visiting Bank, Walmart, Grocery store to buy Spices, Rice, Chapati Flour all become easy with Indian neighbors. Getting second hand furniture, mattress !!! For any new immigrant, it will take few months before they will learn how to live in any foreign country.

About caste system, I dont think that it is the reason for not interacting with other Indians. India has around 29 states. Many times people will make groupings of same state. South Indians will hang around with south indians. Then if a number of Telugu speakers become more, then all Telugu people will make a separate group out of all south indians. Then Hyderabad people will make another subgroup and so on. Caste is not about discrimination always - it is also about people with similar language, food and they get along with each other. Mr Patel will make friend with other Mr Patel and speak in Gujarati with each other - that does not mean that they are discriminating due to caste against Telugu speaking Mr Reddy from Hyderabad !!! Normally Hindi is the common link language otherwise people hang around with their state people.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Looking to live in Apartment Complex full of their own country people is not always about Racism. For many people, they have not lived in this country before. For some Indians, food habits are an issue as they are vegetarians and ost of them dont eat Pork / beef. For some Indians, language is a barrier. Even if they know English well, their heavy accent makes it difficult to get understood. Public Transportation is not adequate. For new immigrants, initial help such as visiting Bank, Walmart, Grocery store to buy Spices, Rice, Chapati Flour all become easy with Indian neighbors. Getting second hand furniture, mattress !!! For any new immigrant, it will take few months before they will learn how to live in any foreign country.

About caste system, I dont think that it is the reason for not interacting with other Indians. India has around 29 states. Many times people will make groupings of same state. South Indians will hang around with south indians. Then if a number of Telugu speakers become more, then all Telugu people will make a separate group out of all south indians. Then Hyderabad people will make another subgroup and so on. Caste is not about discrimination always - it is also about people with similar language, food and they get along with each other. Mr Patel will make friend with other Mr Patel and speak in Gujarati with each other - that does not mean that they are discriminating due to caste against Telugu speaking Mr Reddy from Hyderabad !!! Normally Hindi is the common link language otherwise people hang around with their state people.
Good to know. I would imagine all races might experience such issues, but as I said, it just seems Indians seem to frequently ask for this. I can't imagine that they are less networked than other races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California