Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 07:21 PM

282 posts, read 618,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't mean the early rap part; I meant the Hella usage....does anyone other than a 20-something from a couple of decades ago in northern CA still say that?
Bro, hella people up still here say hella or hecka as well. It is usually the 40 and under crowd that says hella/hecka though, it’s not really popular with older people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 09:12 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post
Bro, hella people up still here say hella or hecka as well. It is usually the 40 and under crowd that says hella/hecka though, it’s not really popular with older people.
Haha! Young people in the 80’s and maybe 90’s, yes - lol. Some people think Hammer pants are still ‘in’ too. Since you are going back decades - Aight, I’m out.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:20 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Interesting. I never knew that it so strongly offended people.

15 things never to say to someone from New Jersey:
https://www.nj.com/ledgerlive/2015/0...ew_jersey.html

Re the link...I've spent quite a bit of time in New Jersey, and I think people who live there have a pretty good sense of humor re being teased about jug handles.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Gonna keep my window rolled down and have this blasted on the stereo while on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEWuH2L-uQY

Old 05-23-2019, 01:30 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
I like "Cali".
OC is okay.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
I'm gonna call it Cali just like I call Las Vegas Vegas.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:52 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I'm gonna call it Cali just like I call Las Vegas Vegas.
Let's call Las Vegas "Veggie" then. Hard "G." I like it.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:19 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Let's call Las Vegas "Veggie" then. Hard "G." I like it.

Only thing that bothers me are people who say macdonalds.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:44 PM

90 posts, read 100,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Unless they are from Columbia.
*Colombia

Old 05-23-2019, 10:32 PM

282 posts, read 618,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Haha! Young people in the 80’s and maybe 90’s, yes - lol. Some people think Hammer pants are still ‘in’ too. Since you are going back decades - Aight, I’m out.

Lol, I don’t know anyone that thinks hammer pants are still cool BUT most of the Bay Area natives I know under 40 use the word hella/hecka occasionally. It’s not like people are saying it every other word or even fully consciously but it is still used here and there by everyday younger people of all races. I even know 30 something white, college educated women that will occasionally drop a “Hella” when worked up about something, like “Oh my God, hella bad traffic this morning, I was so late to work!”

As far as the “Cali” debate, I personally don’t use the word but I don’t find it offensive either. Cali kind of has a nice ring to it and I don’t think it’s comparible to abbreviating every other city or state. California is “Cali” and always will be, nobody gives a sh*t about some random place in Colombia and nobody is ever going to call Los Angeles “Angie”, Sacramento “Sacky”, Wahington state “Washy” or Las Vegas “Veggie”,etc.

Really, I have heard the word “Cali” used extensively by people from out of state, especially on the East coast and that is why it appears in these forums so much. When I am out of state people will say, “Oh, where do you live in Cali?” or something like that, it is a very popular hip term in other states. I really never to barely hear it used by people that live here especially not grumpy old boomers that seem to want to abolish the word. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong or even “cool” to say “Cali” just letting you know that younger people 40 and under do use the term openly, especially if they are from another part of the US. 100% of the “Moving to Cali soon” threads are from out of state people who are excited about their move unaware of all the “you’re not worthy” pretentiousness they are in for and unaware they are deeply offending anyone and they think it is cool to call Kalifornia “Cali”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California