Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 06:27 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,850,118 times

Advertisements

I really am obsessed with visiting the giant trees in California but every map I look at it seems like there is a several hour drive from any major city. Where can I get the most bang for my buck in terms of giant tree/redwood forest/national park (doesn’t have to be Yosemite)? What airport do we fly to? Ideally we would love to visit a major city and do a few days in a forest. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 07:33 PM

37,084 posts, read 42,062,039 times
Maybe Muir Woods? Just 30 minutes north of San Francisco. Although if you've got a couple days I'd keep driving a few more hours up 101 to Avenue of the Giants. You can stay in one of several small towns along the way and it's a nice drive. I did a quick overnight from the Bay Area up to Scotia for a wedding once an we had a nice time. It's a whole different side of CA that most visitors don't see.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,496,005 times
Sacramento to Big Trees State Park is your best bet. Some may argue the Bay Area to Muir Woods or Big Basin, in my educated opinion (having been to every Redwood park/reserve in CA) these two parks are mediocre compared to Redwood National Park, the Avenue of the Giants or Big Trees. If you must stay in San Francisco, good. But realize the good stuff is a worthwhile drive of several hours. Good motels abound in these areas

Old 04-01-2019, 07:43 PM

128,619 posts, read 11,890,495 times
I would agree with Mr5150. Muir woods is always crowded, & the trees, while tall, are not as wide as the ones further North. You don't really get a feel of the forest in Muir woods, imo.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,350,332 times
If it was me and I needed to fly into a major airport, I'd fly into Portland, OR, and drive south to Jedediah State Park in CA.

You could see the lighthouse in Crescent City, see some ocean, stay in Brookings, OR and enjoy that town, and you'd have decent towns in-between Portland and Brookings for food, etc., on Hwy 5.

I would not drive down Hwy 101 as there have been some major landslides and it would just take forever. I'd just drive down I-5, which is still really pretty, and cut towards the coast from Grants Pass, OR on Hwy 199. This will actually take you through Jedediah State Park just before you get to Crescent City and the coast.

There's a decent hotel in Crescent City on the ocean and you can walk to the lighthouse from it. But as far as cute towns go, it's not Crescent City. 27 miles up Hwy 101 is Brookings, OR, and it's a really quaint coastal town.

Depending on how much time you had, you could also take a drive from Portland up the Columbia Gorge to Hood River. It's really "gorgeous" pun intended.

Big Trees park is nice, but there are a lot of other trees in-between the redwoods. The coastal redwoods are much more awe-inspiring.

I suggest not only going to the main groves listed on the park maps, but also driving down some random roads where you see great trees without as much company.

I've lived in all of those areas - except Big Trees. Jedediah is my favorite for walking with the giants.

Have a wonderful trip!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:36 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,175,368 times
Fly into Fresno. Drive to Kings canyon and Sequoia National Parks. We saw the parks last year in November and they were incredible to see in person. Beautiful area and the trees are amazing!. You can stay in Fresno or Visalia or inside the parks if you prefer to camp. They may have cabins to rent, I'm not sure.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,350,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Fly into Fresno. Drive to Kings canyon and Sequoia National Parks. We saw the parks last year in November and they were incredible to see in person. Beautiful area and the trees are amazing!. You can stay in Fresno or Visalia or inside the parks if you prefer to camp. They may have cabins to rent, I'm not sure.
I've never been there. Isn't there a train ride through there? I've been meaning to check that out some day. People I know who have gone there said it was amazing.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:09 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,480,247 times
Why not Yosemite? It has three Giant Sequoia groves plus the incomparable Yosemite Valley with its magnificent waterfalls. It is definitely the most bang for your buck.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
That’s what I thought to do, but then I thought, if I’m flying all the way to CA from NC why would I want to hang in Fresno? I wonder if there are flights to Crescent City from RAleigh. One day we will spend two weeks in CA exploring all there is to see. It’s on my bucket list. But for now, I have big trees on my mind!

Old 04-02-2019, 05:08 AM

What I realized from finally actually looking at a map of California.... lol.... is that there is so much to see and the state is so darn huge. I’d rather not fight crowds, so that’s why I thought to skip Yosemite for some of the smaller parks, but after looking at pics from Yosemite, maybe we need to go there someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California