Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 01:28 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I'm not surprised that's the conclusion you came up with.
I’m not surprised you’re not surprised ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 01:34 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Public employees: ka ching

Public: f*cked again

Old 04-03-2019, 10:04 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Default California, Canada's secret 11th province!

People say Canada has higher taxes, higher cost of living, more liberal politics, and more overcrowded cities compared to the United States.

Wait... did I say Canada or California?

What people miss is that the U.S. has far more regional variation than Canada does, and that a certain state in the U.S. (California) has taxes, cost of living, liberal politics, and overcrowded cities that rival and sometimes even exceed Canada.

What people also miss is the fact that while Canada does have single-payer healthcare, and California doesn't, the only reason why California doesn't is because the U.S. federal government, which is far more conservative than California, has the final authority in many matters (including healthcare) and would thwart any attempt by California for single-payer healthcare.

Sales taxes in many Canadian cities approach 15%. But to be fair, property taxes in Canadian cities are even lower than those in California, with property taxes in Vancouver, B.C. being a mere 0.33%.

Oh, and real estate in Los Angeles is by far more expensive than real estate in Toronto.

Don't forget California has the highest state income tax in the country and the highest gas prices in the country (except for maybe Hawaii, but even then it's really only by two cents.) In fact, our gas prices are more comparable to Canada than they are to Texas.

Nor can we forget the sky high car ownership costs in California compared to the rest of the country. Just be glad it's not Singapore, where used Corollas go for $100,000 USD. (But wait, Singaporeans don't need cars because they can just ride the dirt-cheap, world-class subway...something we don't have in California!)

Canadian cities like Toronto or Vancouver are incredibly compact and dense, largely because of stringent environmental and zoning restrictions that drive up the price of housing as well...wait, did I say Toronto and Vancouver, or did I mean San Francisco and Los Angeles? On Google Maps, look at the suburbs of Toronto (Markham, for example). You'll notice it's much denser than the suburbs of a comparable American city, like Chicago. BUT the suburbs of Los Angeles (like Irvine) are far denser than the suburbs of Chicago and neck-to-neck, density-wise, to Markham.

Concerning politics, at least Canada elected Stephen Harper, 2006-2015. Stephen Harper would be a Chris Christie Republican if plopped in America. I'm not so sure if Arnold Schwarzenegger is even as conservative as Chris Christie, or that Chris Christie could even win in California!

Old 04-03-2019, 10:27 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times
My town went up from 8.25 to 9.25 putting it as the highest in the county. Seems odd, I would have thought Visalia or Tulare would have been the highest.

TULARE CO. 7.75%City of Dinuba 8.50%City of Farmersville 8.75% City of Lindsay 8.75% City of Porterville 9.25% City of Tulare 8.25%City of Visalia 8.50% City of Woodlake 8.75%

Old 04-03-2019, 12:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
People say Canada has higher taxes, higher cost of living, more liberal politics, and more overcrowded cities compared to the United States.

Wait... did I say Canada or California?

What people miss is that the U.S. has far more regional variation than Canada does, and that a certain state in the U.S. (California) has taxes, cost of living, liberal politics, and overcrowded cities that rival and sometimes even exceed Canada.

What people also miss is the fact that while Canada does have single-payer healthcare, and California doesn't, the only reason why California doesn't is because the U.S. federal government, which is far more conservative than California, has the final authority in many matters (including healthcare) and would thwart any attempt by California for single-payer healthcare.

Sales taxes in many Canadian cities approach 15%. But to be fair, property taxes in Canadian cities are even lower than those in California, with property taxes in Vancouver, B.C. being a mere 0.33%.

Oh, and real estate in Los Angeles is by far more expensive than real estate in Toronto.

Don't forget California has the highest state income tax in the country and the highest gas prices in the country (except for maybe Hawaii, but even then it's really only by two cents.) In fact, our gas prices are more comparable to Canada than they are to Texas.

Nor can we forget the sky high car ownership costs in California compared to the rest of the country. Just be glad it's not Singapore, where used Corollas go for $100,000 USD. (But wait, Singaporeans don't need cars because they can just ride the dirt-cheap, world-class subway...something we don't have in California!)

Canadian cities like Toronto or Vancouver are incredibly compact and dense, largely because of stringent environmental and zoning restrictions that drive up the price of housing as well...wait, did I say Toronto and Vancouver, or did I mean San Francisco and Los Angeles? On Google Maps, look at the suburbs of Toronto (Markham, for example). You'll notice it's much denser than the suburbs of a comparable American city, like Chicago. BUT the suburbs of Los Angeles (like Irvine) are far denser than the suburbs of Chicago and neck-to-neck, density-wise, to Markham.

Concerning politics, at least Canada elected Stephen Harper, 2006-2015. Stephen Harper would be a Chris Christie Republican if plopped in America. I'm not so sure if Arnold Schwarzenegger is even as conservative as Chris Christie, or that Chris Christie could even win in California!
More overcrowded cities? Explain please.

Sales taxes aren't set by the city in Canada, they are set by the province. Sales tax is non- existent in Alberta, and is 7 percent here in BC. Where you get higher numbers is in the five provinces where they have merged the GST with the PST and created an HST. In the other five provinces the GST and PST are still separate, meaning that you only pay the PST on items that should have it, and GST only on the items that should have it. So sometimes the tax in BC is 7 percent, sometimes 5 percent ( GST ) and sometimes 12 percent.
Comparing sales taxes thought just by numbers is faulty. You also have to look at WHAT Is taxed, and what is not in each region.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:18 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
We voted to raise the sales tax a percent in Oroville because our municipality has been so cash strapped since 2008 and its hurting the ability to provide proper police and fire protection. Its a poorer city with homes that are lower assessed in value. Just not as much revenue as wealthier places on the coast. BTW, this is a fairly conservative and Republican area. Sometimes you have to raise taxes a bit to provide vital services.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:18 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
We voted to raise the sales tax a percent in Oroville because our municipality has been so cash strapped since 2008 and its hurting the ability to provide proper police and fire protection. Its a poorer city with homes that are lower assessed in value. Just not as much revenue as wealthier places on the coast. BTW, this is a fairly conservative and Republican area. Sometimes you have to raise taxes a bit to provide vital services.
And pay their fat pensions. I hope this raised tax actually helps your city

Old 04-03-2019, 05:54 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
The public employees (past & present) are very grateful for the dummies who voted (or approve) to raise the city sales tax. If it was in my city I would just shop elsewhere. Those big ticket items like electronics & cars are going to hurt the consumer but of course not the local govt. GREED !!

Old 04-03-2019, 09:03 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
It's getting really scary to live here, Democrats in full control with a absolute Communist governor.
But even Bakersfield is on the list. The Bakersfield city sales tax increase passed by the slimmest of margins. Less than 100 votes.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:09 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
i didnt find our city..so thats good news

id rather prefer sales tax to go up than property tax or income tax

for sales tax, just dont shop and you dont pay the tax..simple as that
Nah I rather everyone pay for what they consume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California