Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 02:02 AM

17 posts, read 60,521 times

Advertisements

Call me dumb but I am really wondering something.

In SW Michigan I make about $1000 monthly($12 parttime for a hospital). I can pay for an apartment (with roommates in once of the more trendy towns), gas, food, car payments, and extras. I don't have a lot of money, but I have enough.

Looking at different apartment listings I'm not sure how people in California can afford about $1000 a month for a two bedroom (ave. for us is about $500), plus gas, plus extras.

Humor me!

I'm not sure how the average (lets say...) single twenty-something can afford to live on their own.

I would love if someone can reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 02:15 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Well wages are higher here than Michigan, but not 2-3 times as high. People here live with their parents or have multiple roommates into their late 20's and 30's. Actually, $1000/mo for a 2 bedroom apartment in LA wouldn't be a very good part of town. People also don't work part time unless they have someone else supporting them. $1000/mo income in LA means renting someone's master closet as your "apartment".

Old 05-25-2008, 02:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Hospital wages can be much higher in CA...

As far as a two bedroom apartments go... most of the ones I rent have two incomes...

$1000 will get you a clean 2 bedroom apartment in some areas of the East SF Bay... and even cheaper in the Valley...

In other areas, $1000 won't be enough for even a one bedroom

If your a RN... you can always get a job here and the pay isn't bad

Old 05-25-2008, 04:14 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Well wages are higher here than Michigan, but not 2-3 times as high. People here live with their parents or have multiple roommates into their late 20's and 30's. Actually, $1000/mo for a 2 bedroom apartment in LA wouldn't be a very good part of town. People also don't work part time unless they have someone else supporting them. $1000/mo income in LA means renting someone's master closet as your "apartment".
roomates later in age is common. I know married couples who have roomates. Where I live can be expensive though. This is a big state. housing costs can vary depending on an area. For example, the Mojave Desert area. some areas have a very low (California standards) cost of living. Maybe even comparable to your area of Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California