Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:15 PM

119 posts, read 379,208 times

Advertisements

have been accepted to grad school there (Education)
am from NJ, Rutgers
what can I expect at UCSB, profs, students, living?
Thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugnot View Post
am from NJ, Rutgers
Thnx

I would expect you to be asking more specific questions.

I lived (1996) in Santa Ynez graduate student housing on the NW corner of El Colegio and Los Carneros. It is very quiet there compared to the undergrad apartment areas of Isla Vista, yet it is close enough (1/4 mile) to IV to ride your bike in for parties and fun and maybe a half mile from the beach. Santa Ynez is maybe a mile or two away from supermarkets and about a half a mile from a small (Dave's) market and other general shopping in IV. You can easily ride your bike to classes; you only need a car to buy large amounts of stuff from the supermarket or shopping in Goleta nearby.

I majored in engineering; I don't know anything about UCSB's Education School.

UCSB is a very distracting place to attend college: beach, great weather, IV, parties, campus events like theater arts, productions, concerts, etc.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:56 PM

Default Charles

from the general to the specific
getting the big picture first, have never been to UCSB
hope to obtain more detailed info as this thread progresses
appreciate your input

Old 04-11-2008, 06:27 PM

572 posts, read 2,481,034 times
Bring lots of money

Old 04-12-2008, 05:38 PM

837 posts, read 1,702,729 times
Quote:
am from NJ, Rutgers
Thnx
Lucky, lucky, lucky---Santa Barbara is probably the most beautiful place in the US mainland.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:29 PM

110 posts, read 751,748 times
I attended the UCSB grad school of education in the 80's, not sure how to answer your questions & not sure it is the same as it was back then. I remember an intense program - going to classes while also working in the classroom (if this is to get your teaching credential). Not much time for much else.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Default eekwine

hey, good to hear from a grad of the program
yes, I'll be working on my teaching cert, too. My focus will be on kids w/ mild-severe special education requirements (emphasis on autism)
where do you teach (or do you)?
did the program enhance your capabilities and increase professional opportunities?
I'm not sure what state I will teach in after I finish, might return to NJ, but all that's in the future
anything more you can add would be great
thnx for your input

Old 05-24-2008, 03:55 AM

64 posts, read 311,787 times
Quote:
am from NJ, Rutgers
Thnx

The ocean smells like tar sometimes. There used to be tar removal stations on the campus to remove the oookyness from your feet or body if you went surfing and it stuck on you.

don't rent in IV it's a disgusting pit. Goleta is convenient. Rents are high. View can be nice. Lots of opportunities for outside fun. Weather mild. Lots partying and cheap drunken dates in IV.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:51 AM

572 posts, read 2,481,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrala View Post
The ocean smells like tar sometimes. There used to be tar removal stations on the campus to remove the oookyness from your feet or body if you went surfing and it stuck on you.

don't rent in IV it's a disgusting pit. Goleta is convenient. Rents are high. View can be nice. Lots of opportunities for outside fun. Weather mild. Lots partying and cheap drunken dates in IV.
That pretty much sums it up. There is one you missed
Its hard to find parking in IV
Good place to go to College though, have fun!!!!!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:04 AM

55 posts, read 151,183 times
I went to UCSB in the early to mid 1970's. I also went back in the late 90's for the family vacation center during the summer.
I don't know anything about the specific academic program you are planning to be in but as was mentioned above it is one of the most beautiful places in the country. Easy to get around by bike on the campus/Isla Vista area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California