Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
California is a terrible place to do business, period, full stop.

What's making the headline here is not California and the string of idiotic Democrat led state governments, far from it, and mostly in spite of them and their policies, it's entrepreneurs and Silicon Valley that make California tick, at least Norcal.
LA is the strange animal that it is, it's own economy, not connected to San Diego or San Jose/San Francisco.

And these cities are now choking from the policies of their elected government. I say you gonna learn your lesson, but good. The worse is yet to come, I am afraid, as the current plagues intensify.
Which is why it does more business than any other state, right? Why it feeds the nation half all produce consumed? Why it leads the nation in manufacturing? Tourism? Higher education? Medical services?

Oh my ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
As a small business owner I have to agree with this. My dad started the business in 1975. I've been helping him run it for 23 years now and I've never had such a hard time just keeping the doors open! Our employee taxes have tripled and we have the same number of employees. The insurances I have to have are killing me. Our shop rent has doubled. We have to raise our prices accordingly and now our customers ( restaurant chains) are having a devil of a time paying us because they're struggling too. My father is dying so I plan to try and keep it going till next summer then move out of state.... but I have my doubts.
Finper, it’s been pointed out to you numerous times on these forums, what you would be expected to know but apparently can’t grasp: restaurants are about the most likely of all businesses to fail. They start up and fail at alarming rates and always have. Nothing on your list of struggles is unique to doing business in California.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:59 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Finper, it’s been pointed out to you numerous times on these forums, what you would be expected to know but apparently can’t grasp: restaurants are about the most likely of all businesses to fail. They start up and fail at alarming rates and always have. Nothing on your list of struggles is unique to doing business in California.

oh thank you enlightened one..... I had no idea restaurants were struggling!! It's all so clear now..

Old 04-24-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
oh thank you enlightened one..... I had no idea restaurants were struggling!! It's all so clear now..
Good you finally got that. Because clinging to the belief that California and liberal ideologies are at the root of restaurant business volatility would give you ulcers for the wrong reason.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:38 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Last time I checked 50% of all new businesses fail in the first year and 90% fail within 5 years.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:22 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times
Quote:
Haha, you keep taking classes, cause you ain't ready for the real world of business. Thriving because your Daddy thrives on his consulting business is swell, but it's fake thriving, ya feel me? And just what exactly defines a 'crummy marginal business' ? LOL. I suspect you voted for Gavin Newsom and will vote for Pocahontas now that she will forgive your student loans and make perpetual college life free.
The piper needs to be paid eventually.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:24 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times
Quote:
Haha, you keep taking classes, cause you ain't ready for the real world of business. Thriving because your Daddy thrives on his consulting business is swell, but it's fake thriving, ya feel me? And just what exactly defines a 'crummy marginal business' ? LOL. I suspect you voted for Gavin Newsom and will vote for Pocahontas now that she will forgive your student loans and make perpetual college life free.
I have a couple advanced ones myself. I don't regret them, but mostly they just help those who teach and their administrators who risk little to nothing in academia and still complain of their salaries.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:34 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Last time I checked 50% of all new businesses fail in the first year and 90% fail within 5 years.
Do you know if that's all over or just in Ca?

I guess I should pat myself on my back then that we're still here since 1975. I'm going to have only one sentence on my resume. "I kept a business open in Ca for 23 years"

Old 04-24-2019, 12:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:

I guess I should pat myself on my back then that we're still here since 1975. I'm going to have only one sentence on my resume. "I kept a business open in Ca for 23 years"
All over as far as I remember.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:44 PM

1,336 posts, read 927,429 times
Quote:

I pat you on the back for that ! That's a nice long run. Congrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California