Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 04:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,211,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
#11?

and they say we need to repeal prop 13 coz we dont collect that much prop tax?
No they don't. The arguments about 13 deal with commercial users evading change of ownership and tuning so it does not screw up the housing market. 12 is as good idea which simply needs tuning. NV has a similar law with much fairer outcome. One can do the tuning and keep the revenue the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 04:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Here's my question - why on earth would you WANT to live in Texas?

Nopeity nope nope nope.
Agree, having driven across the country I have to say TX is about the ugliest state you're going to come across, flat and brown for the most part. East TX near the LA border was nice, but that was about it.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:40 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,200,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Agree, having driven across the country I have to say TX is about the ugliest state you're going to come across, flat and brown for the most part. East TX near the LA border was nice, but that was about it.
Weird as most of Texas is not brown. Not sure where you drove through.

You can find a lot of brown here in CA as well.

Texas haters are going to hate no matter what. Hate on all you want. Texans don't care.

Attached Thumbnails
Middle class pays higher tax in Texas than California-relief_map_of_texas.png  

Old 05-14-2019, 12:44 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,200,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Some barely getting by in CA or trying to buy a $600,000.00 dump, can't admit it.

Or they just don't have a clue what they are talking about. Most Californians have no clue what living in Texas is like...especially a great city like Houston.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:58 AM

1,062 posts, read 963,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
This is why this comparison is ridiculous. It rates "progressiveness" of taxes, not individual tax burden for which California is usually Top 5 in the country.

I don't care how "progressive" the tax system is, I care about the actual burden carried.

For that California is Top of the theft chain
That is an average.

Texas's average is lower because the tax rate on the rich is much much much lower than it is on the middle and the poor. Texas taxes are regressive not flat.

Is that a good thing? If you're rich and have no sense of societal good, yes, because it means you avoid paying your fair share.

If you're poor or middle class, and pay higher taxes than you would in California or any other state with flatter taxes (none has actual progressive taxes) it's a bad thing.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

Or they just don't have a clue what they are talking about. Most Californians have no clue what living in Texas is like...especially a great city like Houston.
People in Texas don't think Houston is great, except people who grew up in Houston and never left... Even most of them are suburbanites who would never live in the city.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yeah, I lived in the Valley and everyone was worried about the Dam breaking. I did go to work in Downtown LA and had to help load everything back on the warehouse shelves, though I worked in the office. A friend was on the freeway going to work and the overpasses on both ends of the section he was on collapsed, but being in the middle, between them, he was OK, just stuck for bit. It was no fun and I do not remember a worse one and I was born in LA County. It had to be bad for your sister at the VA hospital once that wing collapsed. Hope she was not to near it. You just never know when one will hit, like the one in SF where a lot of the FRWYs with an upper and lower level collapsed.
Actually she was right near the wing that collapsed. I think the worst was not being able to make contact with her 4 kids for hours. I am not crazy over all of today's technology but at least we have more than one way to contact family and friends.

For us, living where we did only minor damage to our property and I did have some funny stories to relate about things damaged and not damaged in our house. The neighbor lost their chimney, we had some of the stucco on the outside of the house crack, with some falling off, things like that. Most of our friends, several living in the valley had swimming pool damage.
I too was born in L.A. county, in fact in Los Angeles and never remember anything like that quake.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
And your source for that would be?
14 years living in Texas?

Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Uh huh, and that makes you an expert on how everyone in Texas thinks? Yeah, don't think so.
OK yes no one can have any observation about attitudes where they live because that's impossible, sure. We can just shut this whole forum down huh?

Surely you can think of places in California that are universally recognized as terrible except for the people who live there. I've heard people talk that way about Fresno

Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 AM

Here you go Joe, 36 page thread on why Texans hate Houston: //www.city-data.com/forum/texas...e-houston.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California