Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 464 times

Advertisements

Ill be blunt. I need a marina that looks the other way towards liveaboards that are respectful, paying tenants. I’m currently in San Diego, but am obviously planning to relocate. I am on about 10 waiting lists for live aboard permits/slips. I have a 41ft trawler that’s well kept. I understand if you don’t want to just post about your marina to ruin the community with a bunch of bastards trying to float their trailer homes. So please private message me, whether it’s on here or whatever you request. Just please reply soon, I’m tired of having to bounce between my dads house and my boat to please my neighbors and would like to make my boat my permanent home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 09:31 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,432,426 times
Nice boat, that would make a nice home. I’ve had two different friends live on their sailboats at the same marina here in San Diego for a year or so apiece without any problems.

For whatever it’s worth, they both worked mostly nights so this may of helped with the appearance that they weren’t living on their boats full time, I don’t know? They also kept to themselves and took their boats out frequently. I’m guessing this also helped with the appearance as to why they were always there. I cannot comment if management looked the other way or not, but I can reach out to one I still stay in contact with and ask him. Both were within the last few years as well.

I’ll wait to hear back from my friend about management and message you the lowdown along with the name. I’ll assume you’re not, as you called them, “a bunch of bastards trying to float their trailer home”, lol. Good luck to you.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:24 AM

21,643 posts, read 16,188,682 times
I live aboard in SD ... as retired military at base marinas. But, since only one of the three SD military marinas allow any live-aboards, and those must be active duty personnel, I rotate between keeping multiple slips and temp “transient” status ... as well as being out of town about 6 months of the year. So I understand the market, and the tricks and juggling. I can afford because military rates are much lower than private marina rates.

That all said, I have browsed the civilian marina market in the past. I recall that the Chula Vista Marina offered live-aboard slips at a reasonable up charge and had availability at the time I inquired (4 years ago?). The California Yacht Marina, also in Chula Vista, also had live-aboard slips available, but seems to my recall it was more costly.

Have you considered those South Bay locations? Or are you focused on the Shelter and Harbor Island and Embarcadero areas?

Another option might be to take a non-live-aboard slip and add a mooring ball off the beach at one or another spots like Shelter Island ... live at your dock 3-4 nights a week but cast off and sleep at the mooring ball a couple nights.

Simplest would be to have a little van with a mattress in it and leave your boat 3-4 nights a week at bedtime and sleep at some of the overnight parking areas near the Shelter Island marina areas ... such as the 24 and 48 hour parking on N. Harbor Drive by the office buildings for the Point Loma Marina and Sun Harbor Marina and Pizza Nova, et al.

Most marina gates these days have the electronic “smart” fob / keys that track your gate times. So management can figure out if you’re there all night too often. So sleep off site a few nights and you’re good. Still cook and lounge aboard most of the time and keep all your stuff aboard.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California