Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times

Advertisements

We'd like to relocate away from SoCal. I'm wondering if there are any area(s) within California that have more of a Midwest culture or vibe: fewer people (than LA or Orange County), less traffic, slower pace, people displaying common sense and common courtesy, traditional American values and work ethic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 11:35 PM

307 posts, read 241,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
We'd like to relocate away from SoCal. I'm wondering if there are any area(s) within California that have more of a Midwest culture or vibe: fewer people (than LA or Orange County), less traffic, slower pace, people displaying common sense and common courtesy, traditional American values and work ethic?
I would say the Central Valley but you're asking for a lot in this sentence. You might need to define "traditional American values". Also you're more looking for a distinct neighborhood to live in. An entire city is not going to be story book and how you want it to be

Old 05-10-2019, 02:07 AM

2,891 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Small town central valley and some foothill spots

Try lemoore, Chico, Oakdale, Exeter, Gilroy, Oakhurst, atascadero. Cheers.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:46 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
I lived in the Des Moines area at one time. The people in the Central Valley (especially the northern Sacramento Valley) are friendlier than those in the Midwest.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:08 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Truthfully small towns can be as petty, conceited, standoffish, racist, closed minded, unfriendly and showoff as big towns. Just on a smaller scale. People can be friendly but never be your friend and in some cases you will always be a outsider regardless of how much you conform and try to fit in.
If you’re looking for Smalltown USA look at cities outside of the big metro areas. You can go to Big Bear, Crestline and have the small town feel. If you just gotta be in Nor Cal plenty of little towns to relocate.

Hopefully you have money, moving to a town with manufacturing or a state job because you won’t be making a ton of money. Small towns usually have small economies. And things aren’t cheaper in a small town

Old 05-10-2019, 08:02 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
When I moved to the foot hills of eastern CA, was struck by how unCalifornia the culture was in a positive way. And I’ve not experienced the negatives mentioned by the above poster. Costs are less than in LA. Sure, your not gonna save money on food or gas, but housing, entertainment, your plumber and car mechanic and other repair guys charge a third of what big city guys charge. I haven’t needed or owned a suit for a decade. No need to own a 7 series BMW. The overall COL is a third of LA or the Bay Area.

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-10-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
Having grown up in the midwest and left 40 years ago I go back often to visit family.

The "culture" has dramatically changed there.

Insular and indignant. NIMBYism. The rural/urban divide is just a nasty fight in the Legislatures.

That said - what everyone said about prices not being stratospheric in rural California. More space between people. If you have your housing covered it's manageable.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:34 AM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Try Atascadero and Templeton in San Luis Obispo County.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:33 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Having grown up in the midwest and left 40 years ago I go back often to visit family.

The "culture" has dramatically changed there.

Insular and indignant. NIMBYism. The rural/urban divide is just a nasty fight in the Legislatures.

That said - what everyone said about prices not being stratospheric in rural California. More space between people. If you have your housing covered it's manageable.
The culture is changing everywhere. The younger generations have different standards, different interests, even different work and education. Today it is more a me first vibe, in effect all about the person and no one has any right to tell him what to do.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:51 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Try Omaha ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California