Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2019, 08:43 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,431 times

Advertisements

Hello guys!

Well, it was tree trimming time again at our vacation home in Pine Grove in Amador County. They have once again butchered our trees. We had about a dozen trees cut down, many of which were more than the required four feet from the power lines. And once cut down, they just left many of the logs, 128 by our count, where they ended up. Some are up to 30 feet in length. According to their own website, they were supposed to, at the very least, cut the logs into manageable lengths and leave them in a convenient location for our use. And they are supposed to use a chipper to take away everything that is less than 4" in diameter. They have done none of this.

We are going to the Pine Grove office, but should we be seeing someone in a higher capacity, and if so, where are these people located?

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 11:13 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
You may want to contact PG&E about this, if you haven't already, John. I saw a report on the news the other night that PG&E is using outside contractors to do these trimming projects. It could be they aren't aware of this type of problem or, if they do, perhaps they don't care. I hope it's not the latter. Give them a call and inquire about it.

If you don't get any help removing the cut trees, try running an ad (maybe facebook marketplace) for free wood but explain the situation and advise that someone will need to have the adequate equipment to take on the job. There are a number of people who look for an opportunity like this. Acquiring wood from a tree they don't have to cut down is like gold. These people have all the equipment needed to cut them into manageable rounds, split and haul them away to sell.

It's a pain, I know, when you're left to clean up someone else's mess but it could work out well for someone looking to make some money selling wood. Hope you return and give an update. Best of luck to you on this.

Edit: I just remembered. My brother who lived in the hills of Calaveras County used to sell some of his trees to a logging company. They'd come in and cut a certain number of trees down and haul them off. Of course, he made money on it because they were taking the whole tree. You might try calling one of those type of companies and see if they'd like to have them. Usually these companies like to have the whole tree (a certain length to be used to make lumber) but if they aren't picky and use smaller trees for making pellets and smaller lumber pieces, they might be interested. Worth a shot.

If you should decide to go that route, here's a list of timber companies in your area. http://www.amadortreemortality.com/u...s_and_rpfs.pdf

Last edited by JGC97; 05-12-2019 at 11:26 PM..

Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,431 times
Thanks for the reply, I'll check with the loggers, but I'm not sure they would want it as it's mostly pine and too small to make boards out of.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:46 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Okay, sorry. Perhaps you can find someone in the buynsellpress who is interested. Under the "work wanted" ads in the employment section, there are a few advertising for work wanted. EMPLOYMENT & WORK WANTED (I think I saw work wanted ads on pages 3, 4, and 5)

I'd still call PG&E and find out if they're supposed to clean up the brush or if it's the homeowner's responsibility. It's a pain, I know but at least you're going to have some defensible space around your place, in case (God forbid) Amador County is hit with wildfires this year.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
When living where we had trees that were in conflict with power lines, we kept control by taking care of trimming and thinning, which took care of the problem and kept area looking nice.

People that leave it to the power company, had problems like you have, and left a much worse appearance as you have seen. The only reason the power company did what they did, was you did not do what needed to be done.

Make up a few brochures offering FREE WOOD to get someone with equipment to clean things. Place on local message boards and problem solved.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:00 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
Next time make sure to have armed security to prevent trespassers from coming on to your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: