Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

So, as some of your know (and thanks for all your help btw), i've been planning our 3 week adventure from the east coast for the past 6 months. Going in early June. Seeing OC (3 days), Cambria (1), San Fran (3), Yosemite (5), Sequia (1), Palm Springs (3).
I have everything booked and paid for.....

Now a couple of days ago, someone tells me about this thing you guys have called "June Gloom".....she tells me whatever you do, don't go to cali in June cause it's cold and generally a [mod cut] month to be on the west coast. FML!

needless to say, i'm a little bummed out. should have done more research i suppose. my fault :-(

Last edited by volosong; 05-14-2019 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: expletive deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 09:16 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I think you will be Ok, the weather around San Francisco can be cool & gloomy most of summer, nothing new there. In Yosemite I think the sun will be shining on you. I think SOCal will also be warm & sunny. Enjoy your trip.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:17 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
You'll see June gloom along the coast. A lot of the time it burns off around noon so mainly the mornings are overcast. When you go inland to the desert and the parks you should be fine

Old 05-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I think you will be Ok, the weather around San Francisco can be cool & gloomy most of summer, nothing new there. In Yosemite I think the sun will be shining on you. I think SOCal will also be warm & sunny. Enjoy your trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
You'll see June gloom along the coast. A lot of the time it burns off around noon so mainly the mornings are overcast. When you go inland to the desert and the parks you should be fine
ok, good to hear. thanks for the notes.
either way....can't wait!! :-)

Old 05-13-2019, 09:28 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Don't use the word "Cali" when you're here, and people will treat you nicer.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:28 AM

55 posts, read 37,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
So, as some of your know (and thanks for all your help btw), i've been planning our 3 week adventure from the east coast for the past 6 months. Going in early June. Seeing OC (3 days), Cambria (1), San Fran (3), Yosemite (5), Sequia (1), Palm Springs (3).

Now a couple of days ago, someone tells me about this thing you guys have called "June Gloom".....she tells me whatever you do, don't go to cali in June cause it's cold and generally a [mod cut] month to be on the west coast. FML!

needless to say, i'm a little bummed out. should have done more research i suppose. my fault :-(
May and June tend to be quite cloudy at the coast, especially in the mornings and night.

Palm Springs, Yosemite, and Sequoia never get affected by the May Gray and June Gloom marine layer clouds as those areas tend to be very warm or in Palm Springs case still very hot as temperatures are usually in the 90's and 100's this time of year

Last edited by volosong; 05-14-2019 at 09:29 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Don't use the word "Cali" when you're here, and people will treat you nicer.
hah really? i had no idea.
won't.....but curious...why?

Old 05-13-2019, 10:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

Don't let one persons misinformed view stop you from having a super vacation. Yes, the mornings can be foggy and damp, but 90% of the time that wears off and the weather is wonderful. It is a lot better than the heat in July and August. You may get some cool days, especially in no CA. but certainly not in Palm Springs, probably not in L.A. and not likely in some of the other places.

As for not calling it Cali: it is just a short name that people do not like, Cali is in Columbia I think, and is not a stare. It is like called San Francisco Fresco. Frisco is a city in Texas and not in CA.

Last edited by volosong; 05-14-2019 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 11:03 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Cali is a city in Colombia. It is simply a term used by lazy people who can’t handle a five syllable word. CA residents find the tern annoying.

As for June weather the fog only goes inland a few miles. Even in San Francisco (not San Fran and if you really want to stand out as a clueless tourist, call it Frisco) often the west side of town can be foggy yet the east part town will be sunny. I’ve never heard of the term “June gloom”. Palm Springs might be a bit hot in June. Bring clothes suitable for a wide range of temps. It can be chilly right on the coast (50s). Also cold at night in Yosemite 40s).Palm Springs can be in the low 90s during the day.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
It's the equivalent of calling Virginia "Virgin."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California