Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:33 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lmfao ... and this, from you, was?

That is NOT an ad hominem attack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Perhaps unsurprisingly, a January 2019 survey by Edelman Intelligence found that 53% of California residents are thinking about leaving the state to escape the high costs.

https://moneywise.com/a/ch-b/the-wor..._april2019/p-6

I'm thinking about buying a 2019 Ram 2500 limited diesel for 80,000

I'm not going to do it, but I'm damn sure thinking about it.

People have been thinking about leaving California for a long time and people have. But the majority stay put and will continue to stay put until they can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 12:47 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I hope California Democrats overdo it to the point where people finally get fed up and start to vote in Republicans
California has, until recently, been a purple to slightly Republican-leaning state.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:00 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
That is NOT an ad hominem attack....
I didn’t say it was .

It was, however, a garden variety, off-topic snark intended as an insult.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:33 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,897 times
Disclosure: I fall center-right on fiscal policy and pretty much "California-center" on social issues.

My overgeneralized opinion is that Democrats tax-and-spend to create new regulations, agencies, and programs to fix or mitigate problems that they perceive. Problems like:

The Enron fiasco (market manipulation as a result of deregulation)
The housing/credit bubble (systemic manipulation of credit ratings agencies, MBS, CDS, etc)
lack of affordable housing (the result of the above...home builders fear overbuilding demand)
pollution
infrastructure
access to affordable healthcare
public education
natural disaster mitigation/recovery
mental health/substance abuse/housing insecurity

Sometimes the solutions comes with unintended consequences and sometimes the pendulum swings too far beyond the initial issue. Rather than reevaluating/revampping current or previous programs/agencies, Dems typically want to start and fund new programs through taxation. In this case, Brown/Newsom have built up a "rainy day" fund and all new programs will not get to tap that fund or the general fund for that matter; they'd rather raise taxes in other areas to pay for it. I don't think they're doing anything malevolent but they fear California heading towards bankruptcy again so much that they keep incrementally taxing here and there.

Overgeneralizing the Republican position: Republicans don't like new taxes, and Republicans aren't wild about old taxes either. Government gets too bloated and reliant on taxing that it can stifle growth and innovation.

To answer the OP, it probably will never be enough until businesses and its people complain or leave the state, or analysis shows that taxation have exhausted the ROI or taxation and new programs have reached a diminishing marginal utility. In other words, we're relatively paying more for relatively less improvement.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:52 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Perhaps unsurprisingly, a January 2019 survey by Edelman Intelligence found that 53% of California residents are thinking about leaving the state to escape the high costs.
Haven't we discussed the Edelman survey before? It's a PR company. Apparently they don't think much of the residents of California.

https://www.edelman.com/sites/g/file...aign=downloads

Old 05-20-2019, 02:19 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Haven't we discussed the Edelman survey before? It's a PR company. Apparently they don't think much of the residents of California.

https://www.edelman.com/sites/g/file...aign=downloads
Just saw it and quoted it. Apparently the number of people they spoke with that wanted to leave were, 53%. What they think or don't think is not an issue, rather the responses they got.

https://www.edelmanintelligence.com/

StrategyOne, Inc., d/b/a Edelman Intelligence, is a global research and analytics consultancy firm owned by Edelman.
Led by Antoine Harary, the firm oversees the agency’s approach to reputation, branding and communications research. The firm helps companies and organizations understand their markets and environment, segment and profile key audiences, optimize content and messaging, and measure the impact of campaigns and business outcomes.
Edelman Intelligence is ranked among the top 50 U.S. market research and analytics companies in the American Marketing Association’s (AMA) 2018 Gold Report. [1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StrategyOne

Old 05-20-2019, 02:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Disclosure: I fall center-right on fiscal policy and pretty much "California-center" on social issues.

My overgeneralized opinion is that Democrats tax-and-spend to create new regulations, agencies, and programs to fix or mitigate problems that they perceive. Problems like:

The Enron fiasco (market manipulation as a result of deregulation)
The housing/credit bubble (systemic manipulation of credit ratings agencies, MBS, CDS, etc)
lack of affordable housing (the result of the above...home builders fear overbuilding demand)
pollution
infrastructure
access to affordable healthcare
public education
natural disaster mitigation/recovery
mental health/substance abuse/housing insecurity

Sometimes the solutions comes with unintended consequences and sometimes the pendulum swings too far beyond the initial issue. Rather than reevaluating/revampping current or previous programs/agencies, Dems typically want to start and fund new programs through taxation. In this case, Brown/Newsom have built up a "rainy day" fund and all new programs will not get to tap that fund or the general fund for that matter; they'd rather raise taxes in other areas to pay for it. I don't think they're doing anything malevolent but they fear California heading towards bankruptcy again so much that they keep incrementally taxing here and there.

Overgeneralizing the Republican position: Republicans don't like new taxes, and Republicans aren't wild about old taxes either. Government gets too bloated and reliant on taxing that it can stifle growth and innovation.

To answer the OP, it probably will never be enough until businesses and its people complain or leave the state, or analysis shows that taxation have exhausted the ROI or taxation and new programs have reached a diminishing marginal utility. In other words, we're relatively paying more for relatively less improvement.
Keep in mind if raising taxes year after year worked they would not have the problems they do now. It is miss spending, wasted spending, etc. What parties say something is for an where it actually goes are about 180 degrees apart. Both parties.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:24 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I'm a retiree, and a taxpayer. If I can afford to live here, anyone can. If you can't , you should move to Texas. Let us know how you like it.

If you are a retiree than you probably don't pay much in taxes lol.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:25 PM

144 posts, read 103,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Yeah, and medium income family's keep fleeing. Also, families concerned about personal freedoms, and families concerned about the ever rising taxes, and families concerned about the ever liberal degradation of our schools, and families concerned about the ever rising homeless population, and families concerned about the ever rising number of illegal immigrants...
You sound like you'd be much happier moving to someplace like Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana. I'm sure your tax burden would be much lower there. Families concerned about personal freedoms? I'm sure your female relatives would be much happier living under the "personal freedom" that is given to them under Alabama's new laws.
Families concerned about the ever liberal degradation of our schools? I have no doubt that your children or grandchildren would be much better off being taught that science is a lie, and that the world is only 6000 years old and that there is no such thing as evolution. Perhaps when they advance, they'll be taught that the world is flat and that vaccines cause autism also.
Ever rising homeless population? Yeah, you"re right. I'm sure there's absolutely no homelessness in those states at all.
So why stay and fight it out in California when you could lower your taxes by moving to one of those states where everything is just hunky-dory?

Old 05-20-2019, 03:24 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Just saw it and quoted it. Apparently the number of people they spoke with that wanted to leave were, 53%. What they think or don't think is not an issue, rather the responses they got.
Right. Don't need to read any further than their headlines (and in all caps, no less):

"CALIFORNIANS ARE AMBIVALENT TOWARD THEIR ENGINES OF PROSPERITY, EVEN AS THE ENVY OF OTHERS
CALIFORNIANS ARE SKEPTICS
Average Trust in CA: 39% -10%
GOLDEN STATE WORRIERS: CALIFORNIANS SEE CALIFORNIA PAST ITS PRIME"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California