Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of California: San Francisco or Los Angeles? Based on the criteria below.
San Francisco 11 37.93%
Los Angeles 12 41.38%
Hard to Choose 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 11:45 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,748,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96West View Post
Never said that and it's never going to happen, just wanted others' opinion on this that's all.

Okaaaayyyyyyyy...

Last edited by Yac; 08-28-2019 at 03:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 AM

188 posts, read 136,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
First in the minds of outsiders are the beaches that stretch from San Diego to Santa Barbara. Then comes Disneyland, Hollywood, LA, and Beverly Hills.

SF doesn't have the votes to be named capital.
Not trying to pick a side but San Francisco/NorCal has tons of beaches as well but the most famous ones might be in Socal. Santa cruz is pretty popular though from NorCal and the Bay Area actually votes more than LA: California Politics Are Hella NorCal. Will Voters Shake That Up This Year? - capradio.org
But proper city, SF would probably lose.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:12 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Being the centoer of smartphone development is not the same as the image of California in the minds of the rest of the world. Silicon Valley is a business center, just as nap-inducing as Irvine.
The average person spends a lot of time each day using bay area made products and most under age 50 have an awareness that said products come from in and around San Francisco.

3 of the 5 most powerful corporate brands in the world are from NorCal, Apple, Google and Facebook-these 3 grab more global headlines and engage billions( with a capital B) of people daily.

In fact, NorCal accounts for 14 of the 100 most powerful corporate brands in the world. SoCal only has 1.
https://www.forbes.com/powerful-brands/list/

You can try to dismiss the suburban appearance of Silicon Valley, but not it's image, which is everything but nap-inducing lol

Quote:
First in the minds of outsiders are the beaches that stretch from San Diego to Santa Barbara. Then comes Disneyland, Hollywood, LA, and Beverly Hills.
We are no longer living in 1985.

Quote:
SF doesn't have the votes to be named capital.
Er the Governor, Lt Governor and both US senators are from San Francisco. NorCal has dominated state politics for decades now and SF has influenced the entire state to become more and more liberal.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:50 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,260,305 times
It always fascinates me that tourists are so enamored of movie star culture that millions of them fly into LA from other countries to see it. When Europe has amazing historic architecture, Egypt has ancient pyramids, China has the Great Wall and its temples, and so many parts of the world have such stunning scenery, the thought of visiting the Hollywood sign or the Walk of Fame seems like it should be far down on the list. Nevertheless, as a San Diego resident, I appreciate the proximity to LA as a worthwhile weekend destination. I just don't get the appeal as an international destination.

San Francisco, on the other hand, is blessed with both tremendous scenic and man made beauty and novelty that should be seen.

I suppose many international tourists get rental cars and make the drive between both places, checking out the sights along the way, and that makes sense.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:59 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
I picked "hard to choose" because neither LA or SF should be the capital. A new capital of California, if one is chosen, should be more centrally located. Sacramento is fine. If a new capital should be chosen, it should be Madera or Fresno. Fresno preferably. Much more centrally located.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,431 times
What’s the capitol of NY? It ain’t NYC!

Old 05-23-2019, 09:13 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
What’s the capitol of NY? It ain’t NYC!
Yep. It's Albany. About 145-150 miles upriver from NYC.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:13 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont know how much you travel but Silicon Valley is front and center in global conciousness these days-think of it this way, 98% of the world's smartphones run on either Android or IOS
I’ve yet to have someone ask me about cell phone operating systems, or what it’s like living where Silicon Valley is when I’ve traveled, but I’ll let you know when they do.

California has been a leader and at the forefront of technology for over 40 years and its never been what first comes to people’s mind when they think of California, don’t know why it would change now. And for the record I’ve traveled extensively throughout this country and Europe.

It’s alright being a homer, but if you truly believe that the global image of California is that of Northern California, specifically Silicon Valley, and not Southern California you’re living in denial.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:24 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The average person spends a lot of time each day using bay area made products and most under age 50 have an awareness that said products come from in and around San Francisco.

3 of the 5 most powerful corporate brands in the world are from NorCal, Apple, Google and Facebook-these 3 grab more global headlines and engage billions( with a capital B) of people daily.

In fact, NorCal accounts for 14 of the 100 most powerful corporate brands in the world. SoCal only has 1.
https://www.forbes.com/powerful-brands/list/

You can try to dismiss the suburban appearance of Silicon Valley, but not it's image, which is everything but nap-inducing lol
But that one has spent billions crafting its image to the point it built an interactive tourist trap of a park outside LA. Hollywood has been marketing LA lifestyle for generations to every corner of the world. Facebook, Google, and Apple spend billions promoting their wares as universal and ubiquitous. They’ve done for the Internet, not a Silicon Valley, what Hollywood did for SoCal.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:46 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
It’s alright being a homer, but if you truly believe that the global image of California is that of Northern California, specifically Silicon Valley, and not Southern California
I didnt say that at all, but if you think the entire world only knows about SoCal, then..to quote you:
Quote:
you’re living in denial.
The world is very savy about our state. California is so well known that people distinguish between LA and SF, between Hollywood and Silicon Valley, it's not solely the glamor driven, celebrity driven, beach and palm trees image people in SoCal think is the only thing the world knows about CA-how silly.

It's not possible for the Bay Area's tech industry to have become so globally powerful without the world taking notice. Trust me, they have, and how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California