Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 08:12 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times

Advertisements

Have any of you ever had to deal with invasions of swallow birds and their mud nests?

If you have, you know just how persistent they are and no matter how many times you knock them down, they keep coming back and coming back and coming back and coming back.

Till you finally throw in the towel from sheer exhaustion.

That's how the Millennials are with real estate and rents in SoCal and wanting to confiscate wealth and/or property either through taxes and referendum, caps and price controls, or both.

You have "it". They "don't".

They want it. They are priced out and have had enough and through sheer raw anger and determination, sooner or later, they're eventually going to "get it".

That's why they have the attention of lawmakers while the ones who have owned homes for 40 years do not. The former is the future and where the votes are. While the latter is "old" and "on its way out".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I grew up in the south bay. Every time I go back to visit or crawl around on google street view, I see more and more and more and more and more apartments and condos where shopping plazas, SFH residential areas, or abandoned business areas used to be. It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. The traffic was already bad 5 years before I left, which was 5 years ago. All that high density stuff they're building is just going to make traffic and travel time exponentially worse. It's not like mass transit is getting any better. Definitely not in a way to properly compensate.
They are literally stuffing housing into the Mission Valley area here and you have to plan any trips in and out of the area around both rush hours. They've added thousands of condos and apartment buildings and the existing infrastructure cannot come close to handling it. Even with a trolley line rolling right through it.

They want to do the exact same failure in Clairemont. Stuff more people in with no viable solution to move them around in a timely fashion.

There is nothing "affordable" about any of this.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:14 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They are literally stuffing housing into the Mission Valley area here and you have to plan any trips in and out of the area around both rush hours. They've added thousands of condos and apartment buildings and the existing infrastructure cannot come close to handling it. Even with a trolley line rolling right through it.
Dude, if we don't have rent control -- which I agree is a bad idea -- then we MUST build dense housing.

Either that or just accept that only people who make at least 200k will live in your region...but then you also have to accept that there won't be any restaurants or retail, because people who work in those industries won't drive five hours to get to your 200k enclave. So basically your city will not be functional as a city.

Density is the future. Any desirable area can only hold X number of monolithic SFHs. Then you have to start making buildings that are dense and high.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:21 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Have you even thought of the result of this?
I’m in California now and back in Dublin they have built a lot of higher density housing which supports your idea. The result is incredible crowding and congestion. I moved away 3 years ago and the increased amount of people which you want has resulted in lots of traffic jams and crowds making the area less desirable imho.

Undesirable to you...but VERY desirable to people like myself who prefer to live in dense, cosmopolitan spaces. It is good to live among people who share your ideals, your values and your goals. I find those people in big cities.

San Jose is a major city, Los Angeles is a major city. Neither can continue to build monolithic SFHs. It is time to build dense residential buildings. The law in San Jose, San Francisco and Los Angeles should say that anytime a SFH is demolished, you have to replace it with something that holds at least three families. That's the future of major cities. You build small SFHs at first and move out horizontally, but then you run out of room and start having to build vertically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California