Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 05:18 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,739,513 times

Advertisements

Paradise Lake is 11 miles from our house. Not a big lake, maybe 1.4 miles long and 0.4 wide, 130 feet deep, but it is surrounded by majestic oaks and pines, with clear water. Absolutely beautiful. Because it is our water supply, swimming, motorized boats and jet skis are not allowed. Kayaks, canoes, fishing from those or from the shore is allowed.

Before the major fire which destroyed most of our town last November, for kayaks and row boats the daily launch fee used to be $ 5. Residents could get a yearly pass for only $ 40, and with that we could fish, from the shore or from a kayak, six times a week. On Wednesdays they closed the lake for "maintenance".

Today I went out to get my fishing license, late in the year, ( $ 49 a year, 1 rod only) and I saw a notice that the Paradise Lake fees were raised from $ 40 a year - to - $ 10 A DAY !

Yearly or monthly passes are not available. Needless to say, I did NOT renew my license. I planned to get some swimbait, maybe $ 30 worth. I did NOT spend that money either.

I did the math, if I go once a week, it would cost $ 520, or 13 times more than the previous yearly pass.

To put this in perspective, for $ 195 we could get a yearly pass to all California State Parks and Beaches, which would include nearby Oroville Lake. With the $ 195 we don't need to pay extra for non-motorized boats, or we could pay an extra $ 100 for a larger motor boat. Even so, it's still less than $ 520 for once a week fishing in a little piddly lake in the middle of nowhere.
By the way, the state pass isn't valid at the Paradise Lake.

We are surrounded by billboards, slogans, in life and on television, "Paradise Strong" - "Butte County Recovers" and so fort.

What a bunch of baloney. We don't have a doctor, a hospital, a dentist, maybe two crappy restaurants, and the powers to be are raising the cost of fishing by over 1,000 percent.

People complain on Nextdoor of healthy trees cut down and taken off to be sold for lumber. Driveways and septic tanks are crushed by heavy machinery.

I will post this on Nextdoor. If you have access to Facebook, please copy and past it there - I would appreciate it.

If anyone wants to go to the trouble of firing off a letter, the address is Paradise Irrigation or Paradise Lake & Recreation Committee, 6332 Clark Road, Paradise CA 95969.

For all the negative posts regarding California here on City Data, well, they are right on. Seems like our leaders have one goal, and one only, how to squeeze more cash from anyone dumb enough to move here or cross the state line for a vacation.

Last edited by mgforshort; 05-31-2019 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 07:29 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
As if all of you haven't suffered enough already. Now your temporary escape from reality becomes virtually unaffordable for the average person. Unbelievable.

Hopefully your new life in your new state will eventually override the memories of the experiences you've had in Paradise.

Wishing you all the best in the future and I hope that future comes soon.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:59 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Howdy, mgforshort.
I've been hearing folks are catching bigg'un crappie in Lake Shasta this year.....

https://www.google.com/search?source...30.-PasatBMt9g

Best of luck to you & your loved ones.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 PM

Thanks, Hawk J

Shasta Lakes is 93 miles from us, at least 2.5 hours drive. We are far from any freeway.

I could pay the $ 195 and go to Lake Oroville, but that lake has heavy traffic from big and fast boats, I don't feel safe in a 10-foot kayak. Compared to our own Paradise Lake the Oroville Lake doesn't have much charm. That lake is for hardcore fishermen and skiers who don't care about peace and relaxation. My main goal in fishing is to get away from my wife's vacuum cleaner. We all have a dream. That was mine, but it got canceled for now.

I wrote a letter to the Director of the Paradise Lake & Recreation Committe. I will post his reply, if there is any. I also called and e mailed our local news at news@actionnews.com.
The nice lady asked if I'd be willing to go on camera with this story. I told her I'd be delighted.

If anything comes out of it I will faithfully update. There is much resentment in our country against the government, and these little thing just add to it day after day.

And Thanks, movinon.
Our house is up for sale, we dropped the price after 2 weeks, zero interest so far. All these little things like fishing fee, building permits and fees, lack of potable water, PG&E telling us the cost will rise while they plan to shut off the power for up to 5 days if conditions call for it, they all add up and we are becoming a less and less desirable town. Like my tag says, Paradise, CA, that place on fire.

Last edited by mgforshort; 05-31-2019 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 02:56 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
I'm sorry, pard. I guess most pretty good fishin' holes are at least about 2 hours from Paradise. Maybe you could explore parts of the Sacramento River which are closer. Find a honeyhole for catfish & Striped Bass...
Several lustrum ago, we lived over by Monterey, CA. We bought a used 1978 American Clipper C, 20' motor home. We loved going on camping & fishing trips to our favorite spots.
Often we had much fun at Lake San Antonio (catching red ear perch, catfish, bass) & Lake Naciemiento (crappie, bass, catfish), over by Paso Robles. Spent much time around Arroyo Seco too.
Often we drove over Pacheco Pass, going fishing, camping at San Luis O'Neill Forebay. Caught (mostly released) good sized Striped Bass...Caught stripers & catfish in the CA Aqueduct & Delta/Mendota concrete canals. Fished & got lucky at the San Joaquin River.

We fished around The Delta & Sacramento River (stripers & catfish).
We often spent fun times around Sonora, (Lake Don Pedro, New Melones) & the local rivers.
One of our favorites is Lake Comanche North Shore, past Angel's Camp (bass, trout & catfish). Went up the shallows with my boat.

My brother graduated from Chico. He married a local girl. His in laws had a cabin up by Lake Almanor. We had some luck fishin' catfish. Had some great fun times...
We were fortunate to fish many other wonderful spots on the waterways of California.

We love the beauty & wonders of nature...

Have a Wonderful weekend y'all......catch some big'uns.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:56 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Hope someone gets back to you about your complaint, mgforshort. Bad enough to have the entire town demolished but then robbing those who stayed is shameful. In the meantime, see if there are some hole in the wall places to fish. I always preferred those anyway. No boats, no noise, just the sound of nature.

Check these places out and see if something looks interesting. Quite a few creeks in the area. https://www.hookandbullet.com/fishin...ir-magalia-ca/

Old 06-01-2019, 09:04 PM

Thanks, HereOnMars

Magalia reservoir is off limits, water supply for Magalia

We live (as the birds fly) 4 miles from the Feather River and 3 miles from Butte Creek. These are in a deep canyon and there is no access by car, even walking down is better left for the rock climber types.

There is a place on Butte Creek called the Honey Run bridge, which burned last year. The spot is 5 miles from our house, but most people get seasick getting there. If that road would be in Africa, locals would complain. Fishing is prohibited, strictly for taking a dip. Not deep enough for real swimming.

The Sycamore Pool in Chico is pure delight, but no fishing there either.
Attached Thumbnails
Paradise Strong - Butte County Recovers - what a joke-dsc00073.jpg   Paradise Strong - Butte County Recovers - what a joke-dsc00090.jpg   Paradise Strong - Butte County Recovers - what a joke-dsc00563.jpg   Paradise Strong - Butte County Recovers - what a joke-dsc04017.jpg  

Old 06-01-2019, 10:48 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
[quote=mgforshort;55316414]Thanks, Hawk J

Shasta Lakes is 93 miles from us, at least 2.5 hours drive. We are far from any freeway.

I could pay the $ 195 and go to Lake Oroville, but that lake has heavy traffic from big and fast boats, I don't feel safe in a 10-foot kayak. Compared to our own Paradise Lake the Oroville Lake doesn't have much charm. That lake is for hardcore fishermen and skiers who don't care about peace and relaxation. My main goal in fishing is to get away from my wife's vacuum cleaner. We all have a dream. That was mine, but it got canceled for now.

I wrote a letter to the Director of the Paradise Lake & Recreation Committe. I will post his reply, if there is any. I also called and e mailed our local news at news@actionnews.com.
The nice lady asked if I'd be willing to go on camera with this story. I told her I'd be delighted.

If anything comes out of it I will faithfully update. There is much resentment in our country against the government, and these little thing just add to it day after day.

And Thanks, movinon.
Our house is up for sale, we dropped the price after 2 weeks, zero interest so far. All these little things like fishing fee, building permits and fees, lack of potable water, PG&E telling us the cost will rise while they plan to shut off the power for up to 5 days if conditions call for it, they all add up and we are becoming a less and less desirable town. Like my tag says, Paradise, CA, that place on fire.[/QUOTE

Parts of Lake Oroville, are for non motorized boating only. Try the North Forebay aquatic center. I am not sure what the entry fees are, as we got a season pass, which includes renting the non motorized boats, but it is very peaceful. i don't fish so I don't know if it is any good for that or not. I do understand the frustration with the way things are in Paradise, it's all so sad, I loved living there.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:59 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Well shoot. I was hoping some of those creeks listed on that website would prove successful. Okay, here's my next suggestion ............ and don't you dare laugh.

When I wanted, no needed, to sell a home back in 2007 and the market was dropping faster than Bill Clinton's pants , I'd heard about this "thing" that people were doing to, let's say, encourage the sale of their home. They were burying a small (just inches high) statue of St. Joseph in their front yard. Apparently, this guy is supposed to get your home sold. Now, I'm not a superstitious person and I don't usually fall for such things. Logic has always been my go-to but I was desperate so I drove over to the religious book store in town and bought one of the little guys. I already had the instructions as to how to bury him so, to save money, I bought only the statue and followed all the instructions. I swear this is true. I hadn't had a nibble on the house for over three weeks and within eight days, I got three offers ... boom boom boom, all within 24 hours.

So ..... if you're interested, and from what you wrote about your house being for sale now, why not give it a try. What's to lose? You never know. It'll get your mind off finding a fishing hole for a little while, anyway. If you're interested ...
https://www.amazon.com/DOZENEGG-Jose...RVWBEWXT80XB51

This is how to do it, too. I placed mine upside down with his feet facing out towards the street. I swear. It worked.
  • Bury him near your For Sale sign. (Makes sense.)
  • Bury him 12 inches deep. (Or not.)
  • Bury him close to the road, facing it, as a sign that you’re leaving the house soon.
  • Place him upside-down so that he will be motivated to free himself by getting your house sold. (This strategy suggests your prayers tell him he’s stuck until the job is done.)
  • Bury him right-side-up, facing your house/lying on his back, pointing towards your house/close to the back of the house, or near any backyard flowers.
  • If you’re selling an apartment or condo, you can use a flowerpot, with or without plants, placed on a deck or windowsill.
  • Or if you just don’t like the idea of burying a saint, you can place him in your home, in view of your For Sale sign. (To remind him to get your house sold.)
Then, sources agree, you need to say your prayers. Ask for the saint’s intercession when you bury him and pray to him every day until the house is sold.
When your house sells, retrieve the statue from the ground and take it with you. Some instructions say if you leave St. Joseph buried, no one will live in the house for long because you’ve stuck it in a sale-and-purchase loop.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:04 AM

Thanks, Evening Sun.

I am familiar with the North Bay and the Thermalito Afterbay. The first is $ 5 or a pass, $ 195 a year. The second is free. Either one is a 26 mile drive from us, so that is not something I want to do twice a week. I don't care much for the fish, but the Paradise Lake is very relaxing, pure magic, at least for me. Even the drive there is a joy. The last six miles before the lake cuts through a pine forest.

As for a St.Joseph, well, it might work. How about burying some gold dust and claiming we just discovered an abandoned mine in the backyard ? Is that marketing or what ?

Last edited by mgforshort; 06-02-2019 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California