Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:32 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why should I care about a restaurant owner having to pay his/her employees more money because they actually have to pay the minimum wage, as opposed to a UPS Store owner having to pay their employees more money? Or any other business having to pay their employees more money?
Because when businesses are forced to close, it has a downstream effect on the job supply, and overall economic strength of a local economy. If you hollow out an economy by instituting unsustainable wage floors, then everyone living within the community eventually suffers in one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 10:20 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Because when businesses are forced to close, it has a downstream effect on the job supply, and overall economic strength of a local economy. If you hollow out an economy by instituting unsustainable wage floors, then everyone living within the community eventually suffers in one way or another.
But, what you're proposing is that the restaurant owners shouldn't suffer, nor adhere to labor laws in the same way that any other employer should.

You might want to Google "trickle down theory" and see how well that worked.

Or slavery. Which was actually very profitable - and wrong.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:35 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
i always ask this question. we dont tip cashiers in Walmart where they get minimum too.

we dont tip crews in McDonalds where they get paid minimum too?

so why wait staff need to be tipped?
Because there's a separate minimum wage for wait staff and porters at the airport, that's lower than the main minimum wage.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:58 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because there's a separate minimum wage for wait staff and porters at the airport, that's lower than the main minimum wage.
Not in California (along with 6 other states, I believe). It’s been said 1000x over on every minimum wage and/or restaurant thread on the California boards already that everyone gets minimum wage no matter how much they make in tips.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:28 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:

I had a smarmy brother in law who was a stock broker and he made good money, and he did the math and decided to open up a restaurant in the Bay Area based mainly on how favorable the labor laws were towards restaurant owners. He did so well he opened up another restaurant. They're very popular restaurants in wealthy areas. He used to go on and on about how amazing it was that he could pay his workers to little compared to what other businesses were required to pay, and didn't have to provide the same benefits, etc., that other businesses had to. He was really proud of how he'd figured this out and was making so much money doing so and that it was amazing that it was legal.
When were these restaurants opened?

You do realize that there hasn’t been a tipped wage in California for over 20+ years that I’m aware of, and it’s probably been even longer. The last time I heard of California servers receiving less than minimum wage was when my sister did in High School back in the mid/late 1980’s. I received, and now pay, the minimum wage since the late 1990’s. Maybe someone whose been in the business longer than me can bridge that gap.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
But, what you're proposing is that the restaurant owners shouldn't suffer, nor adhere to labor laws in the same way that any other employer should.

Or slavery. Which was actually very profitable - and wrong.
Are you seriously comparing slavery to the "minimum wage"?

I'm saying that restaurants should pay a "market rate" for labor, not an artificially created wage floor. Do you know the difference?

Quote:
You might want to Google "trickle down theory" and see how well that worked.
Are you not the beneficiary?

You're carrying a cell phone in your pocket right now that has about 15 times the processing power of a $2500 Desktop Computer from 2005.

You probably have a flat screen TV that is 1/4 the price of a smaller tube TV from the 90s.

Your car has nearly as much WHP as sports cars from 30 years ago and inflation adjusted you probably paid 1/2 the price.

Do you work for a private company? Are they paying you a wage?

You, and more than likely most people you know, are completely a beneficiary of "trickle down" economics Not a real economic term btw, something made up by Democrats to describe what is in essence supply side economics theory (aka reality).

Old 06-05-2019, 11:32 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs01GH6wwiY

The Fight-For-15 continues.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:22 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Nothing beats working three jobs to support your family! Try it some time

Oh I did. While learning and moving up into something that would pay more. It was hard. Very hard at times because I wanted to move fast. Because the faster I got from crap jobs to a good job, the longer I'd be able to benefit from it. The sooner my life would improve.

You want more money, you have to bring more to the table....but a minimum wage job at least gives you an entrance point to show you can do something and do it well. My literal first office job came from a gal that looked at my resume, looked at me and questioned if I really worked in a factory. I said I had. She asked if that meant I'd show up every day, and I said of course, I'm paid by the hour and there's production to get done.

The minimum wage jobs let me get hired onto the factory job. The first thing the factory did was run me hard to see if I'd keep showing up. When I did, I got in. The factory job and school got me into the office job while in school. (While working two others). The office job allowed for promotion and moving up. Of the two others she hired, one never showed and the other quit after 2 months. I picked up their entire workload. They doubled my wage. They saw I was worth training.

It's up to the individual to find a place where it's promotable and in their interest range and people do it all the time. Sometimes, where a career path has run its course, people have to dig down and do it over again...and that sucks, but its what allows you to stay relevent and learn something new.

The worst thing that could have happened to me is one of those early minimum wage jobs or even the factory job paid me enough to say to myself....this is ok. I can live in this range.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
The worst thing that could have happened to me is one of those early minimum wage jobs or even the factory job paid me enough to say to myself....this is ok. I can live in this range.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Oh I did. While learning and moving up into something that would pay more. It was hard. Very hard at times because I wanted to move fast. Because the faster I got from crap jobs to a good job, the longer I'd be able to benefit from it. The sooner my life would improve.

You want more money, you have to bring more to the table....but a minimum wage job at least gives you an entrance point to show you can do something and do it well. My literal first office job came from a gal that looked at my resume, looked at me and questioned if I really worked in a factory. I said I had. She asked if that meant I'd show up every day, and I said of course, I'm paid by the hour and there's production to get done.

The minimum wage jobs let me get hired onto the factory job. The first thing the factory did was run me hard to see if I'd keep showing up. When I did, I got in. The factory job and school got me into the office job while in school. (While working two others). The office job allowed for promotion and moving up. Of the two others she hired, one never showed and the other quit after 2 months. I picked up their entire workload. They doubled my wage. They saw I was worth training.

It's up to the individual to find a place where it's promotable and in their interest range and people do it all the time. Sometimes, where a career path has run its course, people have to dig down and do it over again...and that sucks, but its what allows you to stay relevent and learn something new.

Good for you. My first job was minimum wage and I kept moving to better jobs and getting raises due to hard work, not the Gov't. Gov't raises benefit for too many lousy workers and it also gets too many workers fired due to a business not being able to afford as many.

Oh, and many business start to hire illegals in place of citizens so they can pay less. Why isn't the Gov't going after such businesses? There are a huge number in the State and nothing is really done about it but say; "well Citizens won't do such jobs". That is a load of ... what comes out of the North end of a cow headed South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California