Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 07:53 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,741,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
I moved out of OC about 4 years ago to Houston, TX for financial reasons (open a business and buy a house) and now that the business is sold we're looking into moving back. I admit it is scary being out of Cali and looking at the high cost of living from Texas. But then again our lifestyle and I even would say happiness has not been the same since we moved.

Just wondering if anyone had similar experiences.
Moved out once and came back. Now moving out again. We didn't move out just for lower cost of living, but that was part of it. I moved for a job because the San Diego job market sucks. I couldn't get ahead to keep up with the rising mortgage costs. So primarily I moved for work/opportunity, but if the housing had been cheaper here, I suppose I wouldn't have had to. I was happier in Florida actually. We only moved back because my wife was still working for a San Diego company and we missed our friends. She also thought she wanted to be back here, but once we got back it was never the same.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Not all of CA and not even all of SoCal, and only in areas where many cannot afford to live.
This is so true. Get about 15 miles inland away from the coast, and things are very, very different. It's like a different California. I grew up in Redlands and it gets very hot there in the summer, for at least a few months out of the year. Then it also gets colder there in the winter. So your energy bills will be higher if you are away from the coast.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
I can't believe you have lived here and moved out of state and you're still calling it "Cali". Stay where you are.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:11 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I can't believe you have lived here and moved out of state and you're still calling it "Cali". Stay where you are.
This post illustrates why some people think people in California are arrogant and snobbish. Ca or Cali isn't a big deal.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
This post illustrates why some people think people in California are arrogant and snobbish. Ca or Cali isn't a big deal.
CA is fine; it's simply the postal abbreviation. Cali is trying too hard to be cute. But we don't need another thread derailed by this...

Old 06-13-2019, 09:15 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
This is so true. Get about 15 miles inland away from the coast, and things are very, very different. It's like a different California. I grew up in Redlands and it gets very hot there in the summer, for at least a few months out of the year. Then it also gets colder there in the winter. So your energy bills will be higher if you are away from the coast.
Yeah, if you travel 15 miles inland in most areas of Southern California, then you might as well be in Mexico: not a lick of water or English.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Yeah, if you travel 15 miles inland in most areas of Southern California, then you might as well be in Mexico: not a lick of water or English.
Ha!

Old 06-13-2019, 04:34 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,884,817 times
Yup. Coastal California where all the mythology begins. Inland it’s hot, dry and populated by WalMart people of all kinds and descriptions.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:55 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I can't believe you have lived here and moved out of state and you're still calling it "Cali".
I'd have to agree.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:45 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Nope...nothing mixed up in this case. At my eastern Washington home, I pay 2.7 cents a kilo-watt hour. The campground I stayed at passed on the PG&E costs directly to me. The base rate was something like 17 cents a kilo-watt hour. At that time Tier III rate was 37.5 cents a kilowatt hour. The math was pretty straight forward.

Electric rates don't seem as high in California, because lots of people use natural gas for heating. However, when I lived in California I knew lots of people with all electric houses in the Sierra's and rural areas. Natural gas doesn't work in rural areas and propane is much more expensive than natural gas. My house in eastern Washington is ALL ELECTRIC.

If I lived in California I would disconnect from the grid and run solar.....which is by far the most expensive electricity. I know I have a off-grid house in the mountains.

BUT a solar installation, combined with conservation and right choice in fuels easily works in California.

If I had a house in California, I would disconnect ASAP. But most people in California don't have a clue when it comes to alternative energy.

I might have to run down to the PUD and have them provide me with the electricity costs over the entire year.

We heat during winter....lows 10 highs 30.

Spring and fall are perfect lows 50's highs 70-80. Lots of the time the heat or air conditioning doesn't even come on. Sunny days heat the house through the windows easily, in summer the outside blinds come down.

Summer highs 85-95 lows 60-70. Air conditioner does run a lot.

All hot water, fridge, etc. runs on electric all year. Our lowest electric during spring and fall are in the neighborhood of $30.

House is 2400 square feet.

People in California have very little clue about how the rest of US lives!!
Unless you have battery back up you’re not completely disconnecting from the grid. Not to mention you’re leasing or buying the system. So it’s not free by any means. Not to mention solar isn’t efficient in every state

2200 sq ft home (I mistakenly said 2500) runs 80/100 in electrical 9 months out of the year. 3 months I get higher bill 200/300 when I use AC. I rarely use my heater in winter. We do have a wood burning fireplace which we use because it heats up the area we spend 90* of our time. When we go to bed I love the cold bedrooms. I throw a blanket on.
My gas bill runs about 30/40 bucks a month.

As far as Californians not knowing....you gotta be joking. California is FULL of people from other states moving her.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 06-15-2019 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California