Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,554,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antab View Post
*Whoosh*
Sounds about right for you

Old 06-21-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
In my experience, it is a common term used in the Politics and Other Controversies forum, and so far, each of the posts I have read were not made by Californians.

I consider it rude to relegate the states that don't touch the coast to "flyover country," whether it is said by a Floridian, a New Yorker, a Georgian or a Californian.

I visited a number of states in the Midwest when I was a child, by rail and by car. I feel fortunate to have experienced the uniqueness of each state.
I had never heard the term until I saw it posted in the California forums. look at post 112 and 115 in this thread posted by a Californian.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:46 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,273,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And ........ the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave is why the Electoral College is a seriously bad mechanism as it stands ...... no reminder necessary, it’s in our faces everyday.

You don’t like the arrogance of the poster? But the unearned draft-dodging, unbelievably insulting arrogance of the guy who slipped in with the aid of the Electoral College is fine with you, eh?

Heh. G’night Angry.
Just because you don’t like the president doesn’t make it a bad mechanism. It’s doubtful it’ll change.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:30 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Just because you don’t like the president doesn’t make it a bad mechanism. It’s doubtful it’ll change.
You’re right. The reason it’s a bad mechanism doesn’t rest on my liking or not any president. The reasons are otherwise solid ... and a topic for a different thread in a different forum.

The appropriateness of my comment in this forum was a direct response to an opinion expressed by another poster expressing offense at an on-topic comment posted by a third contributor.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:55 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,773,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I had never heard the term until I saw it posted in the California forums. look at post 112 and 115 in this thread posted by a Californian.
It is a very common term, not just on the CD forums.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:54 AM

56 posts, read 42,058 times
Quote:
Sounds about right for you
ROFL. Im not the person that couldn't figure out that the person claiming an invention from the 1800s was cutting edge wasn't being sarcastic. Sad.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,754,932 times
I'm not at all sure what in the heck disaster it's going to take to snap the Californians' out of their altered state of reality. It's not enough they seem to want to funnel all funds to people entering this country illegally but have a penchant for utterly ignoring their homeless population of REAL citizens.

Whenever I get caught up even thinking about the absurdity of those like one of your idols that Ocasio-Cortez nut job and the rest of your elite hard core leftists that want to give away everything to those least deserving and print more money to give away to those that don't want to work or do anything constructive except bring people here without any real skills whose goal like most of them to suck off of whatever they can freebies that are offered.

There have been generations sneaking across the border for years in order to manage to give birth (free services included) to their babies declaring them American citizens (another of many absurd laws) trying to establish themselves here but NOT as real citizens but just enough to get free welfare cards and monies as well as free educations. This goes beyond absurd when you consider in virtually ALL other countries the gamut stretches from jail time to deportation for similar activities. Sorry but I for one am NOT one with the open door policy.

Back in the day (in my opinion a better one in many regards) coming in to Ellis Island to register for citizenship a person had to meet at least 3 criteria in order to be admitted to the mainland and apply for citizenship (this is much like what Trump is suggesting but you who are fools are there haven't a clue). They had to #1 pass a medical exam verifying they were NOT bringing in a transmittable disease, #2 they had to have a confirmed SKILL or work ability and #3 they either had to have a Sponsor for work or have verification of a place they would be living already arranged. In many cases this was relatives or paperwork of a lease or rental home already arranged.

I fully agree with those all as a MUST HAVE before admittance to this country and allowing them to file for citizenship. Also sadly from all I've noted the unique habits of the Hispanics has been to hang on tenaciously to their culture and NOT learn English but to continue to prefer to stick to their own culture and NOT become one with America. This is the huge difference between those from there entering this country from all I've noted over the last 20 years in particular. Those from the previous generations of immigrants "integrated" into our country. Sure retaining their national heritage, but STILL integrating. Now it's as if they want this to be the "United States of Mexico" and such. Sorry not for that

Old 06-22-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antab View Post
ROFL. Im not the person that couldn't figure out that the person claiming an invention from the 1800s was cutting edge wasn't being sarcastic. Sad.
"Sad" is the favorite word when one is trying to insult someone but can't figure out how to say it or doesn't even understand the conversation. The fact that you thought I didn't understand your sarcastic reply but couldn't figure out mine was just as sarcastic indicates the internet is not a good place for you.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:31 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
You're going to make the argument that agriculture is a significant industry in 2019?

You realize this country has gone through massive urbanization over the past 100+ years moving AWAY from agriculture being the dominant industry.
If there was only one industry left standing in the USA I would hope it would be agriculture. All the rest is meaningless without it.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:31 PM

999 posts, read 553,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I’m curious as to what COL is high other than housing? (Which costs, if “neighbor” had stayed in house he was buying, would have remained stable, not rising.)

Gas? Yes. Maybe $80 a month higher than a cheap gas state.

Food? Um, no.

Taxes? Maybe. Depending on where, but overall tax burden differences aren’t generally high except for the very wealthy.

Clothing and general household items? Um, no.

Discretionary luxury items? Health care? Insurance? No, not really different.

And then there’s the cost of moving / uprooting / reestablishing residency to factor in ... cheaper to stay than move if you already have a mortgage in process.

Rents and new housing purchases are the huge challenges. Of course, but not if you bought previously on a budget you could afford.

So what else drives up the COL so much that the costs of moving are worth it?

Don’t get me wrong, I LIKE people moving away. As many as possible as soon as possible.
So much of the cost of living thing depends on your lifestyle. The only area I notice a difference is the cost of owning and registering a car. It's a little more. Not anything life ruining.

I've never noticed any difference with food, but I usually eat really cheap, basic foods anyway (rice and beans with a fresh tomato and some salsa is one of my favorite meals and it probably costs like, $1.50 or something at the most) I don't really go out to eat very often but when I do it's usually chain places like Chipotle and I don't recall it being any more expensive here than any other states like Colorado. Although I guess that's a higher COL state too...

I guess if you want to own a home and all that, it might be a bit more expensive here. I don't know. I do know it's possible to rent very cheaply here. I'm currently a nomad but I always look at apartments for the next time I want to settle down for a while, and there are lots of super cheap areas. They probably aren't areas with many jobs, but once again, lifestyle... I'm a digital nomad so I can work from anywhere.

My point is just that everyone frames their views around the "high cost of living" in CA based around their own personal situation and lifestyle and it can vary greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
From my experience food is cheaper in CA. When figuring in the cost of heating in the Midwest CA wins hands down.
Some things are certainly cheaper. I remember being shocked at how much an avocado cost when I lived in North Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Actually you don't; 30% of registered voters in California went for Trump in 2016. You think there are shared values and goals because people who don't agree with you keep their mouths shut.
They do anything BUT keep their mouths shut. I wish.

We're well aware they are there, but they're in the minority. Of course ANYWHERE on earth is going to have people with different viewpoints and opinions. No one is trying to say that literally 100% of Californians think the same way. But having lived other places, I find it's much easier to meet like-minded people here. Most people I interact with here are against Trump. Some aren't, and that's fine, but it's just easier to feel welcome and understood by the overall population here as a liberal in my opinion. Compared to when I lived in the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Uh...yes...you do realize that 30% for Trump means 70% -- the VAST MAJORITY -- voted against Trump, right??
Exactly. There's no state where the entire population voted one way or another. There are liberals and Trump supporters wherever you go.

Quote:
You said California had shared values, but not everyone does so you were incorrect in stating everyone has shared values.
They were not saying literally every human here votes liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California