Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 10:31 PM

999 posts, read 553,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You do realize you keep saying shared values and goals, yet so many posters have disagreed with you on this.
This forum is frequented by right wingers who despise the left and basically dislike everything going on in California. Not a good representation of California as a whole.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:54 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Uh, there's some internal inconsistency in this post.

"immigrant communities assimilate within a few generations"

"immigration is a huge problem"

Huh?

JohnSoCal...ALL AMERICAN FAMILIES came from somewhere else...the ONLY exception is the natives. This is a nation of immigrants. It is one of the foundations of our great strength as a nation. People come from other places and add to our greatness.
The problem is not with the immigrants that come here legally. The problem is with the thousands that are crashing our border breaking the law. Anther problem is with people coming here as visitors and not leaving when they are supposed to. That is a very large percentage of illegals. That could be solved very easily by requiring them to prove they have left like Mexico and other countries do.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:02 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
This forum is frequented by right wingers who despise the left and basically dislike everything going on in California. Not a good representation of California as a whole.
I recall in an earlier comment you openly wished we could be silenced. Wishing to repress free speech is not a good look for anyone.

Conservatives don't want to shut you up. I want you to keep making elitist comments. We want you to talk and boast and threaten and scream at the sky and stamp your tiny feet over the fact you lost the 2016 election. Your lot has been putting on the Ugly Show 24/7 ever since then.

Somehow you people never get it. It's amazing -- you're doing exactly what we want you to do and you just don't get it.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Yep. The states that you "fly over" when you want to go from A Place That Matters to another. For example, if you fly from Silicon Valley to Manhattan, both of which have influence all over the world, you have to "fly over" Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...y-over%20state

Well, it's factual. Who aspires to move to Wyoming? They have nice parks there, certainly. But all five people who live there have backward ways of thinking, and they depend on federal government subsidy, the funds for which are raised in California, New York, Massachusetts, etc.

I'm sure the five people who live in Wyoming feel the same about California that I do about Wyoming, but that's why I wouldn't move to Wyoming just to own a home, and they wouldn't permanently move to California just to make money (temporarily, yes, but then they would move back).

It's good to live among those who share your values, definitely.
You are so wrong on so many counts that it is not even worth discussing it.

I have lived in California, both Silicon Valley and Southern California for 45 plus years. I have also lived in other states and 3 other countries. Yes, I love living in California, both North and South, but I certainly don't share any values with the liberal loons.

Before I retired I was a Software contractor with most of my clients in SV.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I recall in an earlier comment you openly wished we could be silenced. Wishing to repress free speech is not a good look for anyone.

Conservatives don't want to shut you up. I want you to keep making elitist comments. We want you to talk and boast and threaten and scream at the sky and stamp your tiny feet over the fact you lost the 2016 election. Your lot has been putting on the Ugly Show 24/7 ever since then.

Somehow you people never get it. It's amazing -- you're doing exactly what we want you to do and you just don't get it.
Excellent post, I agree 100%.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:21 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Did you even read this thread before posting. Look at the posts on the previous page. Maybe you don't know anyone personally, but it gets mentioned in a condescending way fairly frequently here on CD.
I read a good portion of it, but not the two posts (made by the same ONE single person) to which you referred.

I repeat, I have never in my entire life in Northern California heard a single person call the interior states of the U.S. "flyover states." I didn't say it doesn't happen. I said I have never heard it (in real life) or uttered it myself.

It's the sort of thing that is USUALL said in the Political forum, and, as I said already, I think it is rude.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:50 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I read a good portion of it, but not the two posts (made by the same ONE single person) to which you referred.

I repeat, I have never in my entire life in Northern California heard a single person call the interior states of the U.S. "flyover states." I didn't say it doesn't happen. I said I have never heard it (in real life) or uttered it myself.

It's the sort of thing that is USUALL said in the Political forum, and, as I said already, I think it is rude.
It's also disdainful. It's the kind of comment that someone makes when they lack confidence and over-compensate.

In all the years I lived in SV (from 1986 on), I can't recall ever bragging about it. That's just weird. The fact that I lived and worked there and still have a house there doesn't make me a superior person.

I keep up with the NextDoor feed for our Peninsula neighborhood. The change of attitudes in recent years has been striking. Three years ago I was the only one complaining about the non-stop construction of people kennels everywhere in our City. Now many others are up in arms about it as well, people from both ends of the political spectrum, and openly planning to move elsewhere. Others are moving or have already left, as we did. They've had to consolidate schools in our area as enrollment has dropped sharply. A large shopping center is slated to be demolished and replaced with (you guessed it) high density housing units. There's already plenty of available housing -- at prices no one wants to pay. This movie isn't going to end well.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:19 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
It's also disdainful. It's the kind of comment that someone makes when they lack confidence and over-compensate.

In all the years I lived in SV (from 1986 on), I can't recall ever bragging about it. That's just weird. The fact that I lived and worked there and still have a house there doesn't make me a superior person.

I keep up with the NextDoor feed for our Peninsula neighborhood. The change of attitudes in recent years has been striking. Three years ago I was the only one complaining about the non-stop construction of people kennels everywhere in our City. Now many others are up in arms about it as well, people from both ends of the political spectrum, and openly planning to move elsewhere. Others are moving or have already left, as we did. They've had to consolidate schools in our area as enrollment has dropped sharply. A large shopping center is slated to be demolished and replaced with (you guessed it) high density housing units. There's already plenty of available housing -- at prices no one wants to pay. This movie isn't going to end well.
I don't like all the accelerated growth, either, especially in areas that in my opinion, are already built-out, and that includes most of the inner SF Bay Area. I'd rather have more bookstores. (Kepler's was saved, at least, but Printer's Inc. and Stacey's in Palo Alto are gone.)

Old 06-27-2019, 12:21 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Nope. Opposite.

https://www.politifact.com/californi...re-it-gets-dc/

"[Arnold Schwarzenegger] has complained that California receives 78 cents in federal funding for every tax dollar it sends to Washington, while other states receive far more, like New Mexico, which gets $2.03."

https://calwatchdog.com/2010/02/10/n...a-donor-state/

I voted for Arnold both times. The Republicans have yet to float a good candidate for President, however, imho. Well, not in the past 20 years anyway. The only exceptions are Romney and Captain John McCain, USN (Ret.), both of whom would probably have been good Presidents, but they were simply on the wrong side of too many issues for me. Captain McCain was definitely a man of honor.
Once again your posts prove you don’t know what you’re talking about. Your link was from feb 2017, old news regarding 2016 taxes. In 2017 California got back more from the fed than it paid.
Per capital California paid $11,019 in taxes to the fed. It got back $11,030.
https://howmuch.net/articles/federal...-united-states
If you are going to try to prove a point, try to use the latest info. You keep making yourself look like a fool along with showing your condescending attitude.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:26 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:

As I said before after neutrinos idea for high density housing replacing sfh, it’s short sighted. It makes an area overcrowded and less desirable to live in. Not to mention it doesn’t lower the housing cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California