Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 11:16 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
lmao, uh, no, they're not. HP has been here for 50 years and isn't going anywhere. Same for Intel and AMD.

Don't confuse having an office in a flyover state with being BASED in said state. Google has an office in Paris, but it is based in Silicon Valley.

Most of the famous tech companies are based in Silicon Valley, hence the name.

Nope. Not all. Most graduated from SJSU, Stanford or Santa Clara. But we do get people from all over the world, since Silicon Valley is a desirable place.

The vast majority of schools on this list are not in flyover states.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/296110
You are wrong

My BIL was recruited to HP from UW Madison in 1968. He subsequently recruited students from all over the country - including his alma mater.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:06 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
You are wrong

My BIL was recruited to HP from UW Madison in 1968. He subsequently recruited students from all over the country - including his alma mater.
I'm not wrong at all. See the list I posted. I think there were 3 or 4 out of 30 schools on that list which are in flyover states.

Regardless, even if most talent for Silicon Valley came from flyover states -- which is NOT the case -- that's those people leaving the flyover state to go contribute to our greatness. That's not the flyover state making a difference in the world. The flyover state was not productive in its own right; it was only productive by proxy, by sending a constituent of itself to a more productive place.

Red States are dependent on the productivity in Blue States. And California is a blue state.

The greatness is here in California, and I am proud to have grown up here and contributed to it, although not via the main industry here (ironically my main talent is in said industry, but I didn't want to make my hobby into a job, introducing deadlines and stress to my HOBBY).

I couldn't imagine wanting to move to a state that has values antithetical to my own and does not share my goals in terms of the direction we should go as a country and the direction in which human civilization in general should go. Setting aside that I would make even less money in a flyover state (20% more than the minimum wage in Kansas is a smaller number than 20% over the California minimum wage)...there are significant political and cultural differences which motivate me to stay in a Blue State.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:11 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
:::::::::eyeroll:::::::::

Whatever...

Old 06-23-2019, 10:33 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,067 times
Quote:
I'm not wrong at all. See the list I posted. I think there were 3 or 4 out of 30 schools on that list which are in flyover states.

Regardless, even if most talent for Silicon Valley came from flyover states -- which is NOT the case -- that's those people leaving the flyover state to go contribute to our greatness. That's not the flyover state making a difference in the world. The flyover state was not productive in its own right; it was only productive by proxy, by sending a constituent of itself to a more productive place.

Red States are dependent on the productivity in Blue States. And California is a blue state.

The greatness is here in California, and I am proud to have grown up here and contributed to it, although not via the main industry here (ironically my main talent is in said industry, but I didn't want to make my hobby into a job, introducing deadlines and stress to my HOBBY).

I couldn't imagine wanting to move to a state that has values antithetical to my own and does not share my goals in terms of the direction we should go as a country and the direction in which human civilization in general should go. Setting aside that I would make even less money in a flyover state (20% more than the minimum wage in Kansas is a smaller number than 20% over the California minimum wage)...there are significant political and cultural differences which motivate me to stay in a Blue State.
Yeah whatever. I see 14 schools in what “you” would consider flyover states. Carnegie Mellon is in PA. Uof M, two Texas schools, Illinois, Minn, Purdue, Phoenix. Also many more, NC State, etc etc. so who cares. I think Texas is doing just fine without being “dependent on the productivity in a blue state.” Not saying I want to live in texas or bashing at all on Ca, but bashing on you and your ignorance.

Don’t you live in your parents house or share an apartment with your father or something like that? The majority of people wouldn’t want to live like that. If it works for you, great, and I see nothing wrong with that if you’re happy. Same as the people that live in what you call flyover states, as long as they’re happy and have “shared values”, then who cares.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
:::::::::eyeroll:::::::::

Whatever...
Yes, Neut's posing as an expert on Silicon Valley is truly hilarious to those of us who live(d) and work(ed) there.

People come to the Valley from all over the U.S., heck, all over the world.

I'll bet Neut can't even tell us why so many companies choose to operate in one of the most expensive places in the U.S. It's not because it's a great place to live, because other than the weather, it really isn't.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:41 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes, Neut's posing as an expert on Silicon Valley is truly hilarious to those of us who live(d) and work(ed) there.

I'll bet Neut can't even tell us why so many companies choose to operate in one of the most expensive places in the U.S. It's not because it's a great place to live, because other than the weather, it really isn't.
Wait a minute, he’s googling it now.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:14 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
This is still the case, for legal immigration, to my knowledge.

Obviously you don't know many Hispanic Americans. Anyone who grew up here speaks English with an American accent. I have a couple Mexican-American friends whose families have been here for three or four generations. If you had a blindfold on and just heard them speak, you would guess they are white. But both have brown skin, quite dark in both cases.

I can understand the first generation not speaking much English. But their kids will. And their kids will love this country. One has an affection for the soil of their birth. But their kids will have been born here and will have grown up knowing how great this nation is, and how much better life is here than it is in the country of their parents' birth. And those families will add to the greatness of America.
You are absolutely correct. My wife is from Mexico. We were married in Mexico and lived there for 4 years. We have been married for many years. My wife is a Mexican citizen and a naturalized US citizen.. I am fluent in Spanish. We are very familiar with the Mexican community in California.

The immigrants typically do not speak English very well if at all. Their children typically speak both Spanish and English perfectly with no accent. Their grandchildren typically only speak English.

We lived in San Jose CA back in the 70's. We went to many Mexican concerts and events. Everybody spoke Spanish. We moved away in 1977 and returned back in 1998. The big change we noted that most of the people attending the Mexican concerts now Spoke English.

My wife and I are both conservative Republicans and strongly support President Trumps efforts to control the crisis at the border.

I strongly disagree with your other posts.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:55 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You are absolutely correct. My wife is from Mexico. We were married in Mexico and lived there for 4 years. We have been married for many years. My wife is a Mexican citizen and a naturalized US citizen.. I am fluent in Spanish. We are very familiar with the Mexican community in California.

The immigrants typically do not speak English very well if at all. Their children typically speak both Spanish and English perfectly with no accent. Their grandchildren typically only speak English.

We lived in San Jose CA back in the 70's. We went to many Mexican concerts and events. Everybody spoke Spanish. We moved away in 1977 and returned back in 1998. The big change we noted that most of the people attending the Mexican concerts now Spoke English.

My wife and I are both conservative Republicans and strongly support President Trumps efforts to control the crisis at the border.

I strongly disagree with your other posts.
It's interesting you said this. I have a friend who met his wife in Mexico and moved her here. Both are very conservative and believe illegal immigration is a problem, especially her.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
It's interesting you said this. I have a friend who met his wife in Mexico and moved her here. Both are very conservative and believe illegal immigration is a problem, especially her.
That is just like us.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:33 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I grew up here. Lived here since age 5 and I am now 41. How long have you lived here?

Quote:

Yes, but not primarily from flyover states, which was the assertion.

Quote:

I'll bet Neut can't even tell us why so many companies choose to operate in one of the most expensive places in the U.S.
Highly skilled workforce and existing intellectual infrastructure. Plus Stanford, SJSU, Santa Clara etc.

Quote:
It's not because it's a great place to live, because other than the weather, it really isn't.
It's a great place to live BECAUSE it is Silicon Valley. Shared values and goals. If you're a transplant, I would not expect you to understand. This is my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California