Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 02:15 PM

1,203 posts, read 835,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
But yet here you are in this thread.

Yet it is ok for someone in California to make condescending comments about those living in other states. Oh wait I get it, only Californians get to do that.
I will say as a native of California, I am embarrassed at the amount of condescension I see on this board coming from people that live here toward others. It has been my experience that Californians far surpass other states in the amount of hypersensitivity they display, in addition to the "holier than thou" attitude. Being proud of where you live is one thing, but putting others down to prove your superiority is quite another.

P.S. Very much in line with the politics of the area, if you don't stay in absolute march step with every Democratic talking point

Last edited by JJonesIII; 06-28-2019 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 04:05 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
I will say as a native of California, I am embarrassed at the amount of condescension I see on this board coming from people that live here toward others. It has been my experience that Californians far surpass other states in the amount of hypersensitivity they display, in addition to the "holier than thou" attitude. Being proud of where you live is one thing, but putting others down to prove your superiority is quite another.

P.S. Very much in line with the politics of the area, if you don't stay in absolute march step with every Democratic talking point

My home state is Michigan, and although I moved to SoCal in 2016, prior to moving here, I vacationed here regularly since 2004. It always amazed me how many native Californians I met who never traveled to Michigan or the Mid-west. I think many Californians are so insanely proud of being born/raised here, and that for the most part, they already have so many benefits to living here, that they can't be bothered to visit other states.

I think it's quite sad, but it doesn't bother me, more than just amazes me about the opportunity that is being missed to be exposed to other wonderful parts of our country. I have met other humans who have never thrown a snowball, go to a bank and speak to a teller without 5 inches of a bullet proof barrier, or drive through a major highway without mind numbing bumper to bumper traffic, is mind-boggling.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:15 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:

+1

Agree 100%.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:

I agree. I am a native Californian and that does not make me special in any way nor does living here make anyone special.

How they speak about others tells everyone a lot about them.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:06 PM

1,500 posts, read 885,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
From my experience food is cheaper in CA. When figuring in the cost of heating in the Midwest CA wins hands down.
Not to forget the cost of A/C in say...Texas, Az, Fl

Plus Ca has no humidity!

I’m staying

Old 06-30-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You've mentioned this before and several people pointed out that most California houses are heated with gas and it doesn't get that cold here in any of the places where people generally live.

Any California residents here pay $2000 a month for electricity?

I didn't think so.

Our average electric bill with SoCal Edison is $70. The all-time highest was $93. Tack on the $16 or $18 for the gas company, and we're still not anywhere near $2k.
All electric homes were not meant to be cost effective..

We live in So Cal..3000 sq feet, with pool..

Our electric bill maybe 200 a month, except maybe Aug and Sept when AC is needed...which BTW is not 24 hours a day...our nights cool down nicely

Old 06-30-2019, 12:36 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Please look up "shared" and "majority" in a dictionary.

Then consult this map.

https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...nt/california/

Then get back to me.

Or maybe it's nearly impossible to solve those problems in a free country.
It appears that you judge people's values and goals based solely on the way they vote.

People are so much more complicated than that, and have values and goals completely outside of their political beliefs.

I doubt you are aware of that, however. It's apparent from your posts that you have never traveled outside of your CA bubble. You know, to like, flyover country? If you did venture out, you'd see that places other than CA include people that share the same values and goals as you do.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
What in the world is a "flyover" state? Do you mean states in middle America?

(Isn't that a very elitist comment to make about states?)
It is.

And is exactly the attitude that won Trump the election last time, and will again the next.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
No, not really. For one, that doesn't describe me. Two, if you have a problem with living among people who are not white, I'm not merely calling you a racist, but you are, in fact, a racist.
I love this argument, and its relationship with CA.

I lived in CA for over 25 years, my entire adult life. My husband is a third generation Californian.

We moved out of CA 9 years ago, when the train started to go off its track.

For those 25 years, I'd heard about how the rest of the country was so racist, yet California was so enlightened. Because they don't have a problem with living among people of color.

The problem is that it's only in theory that they don't have a problem with it. In practice, there are very few places in CA that you see people of many colors living and playing in the same place.

I now live in one of those flyover states that you so despise. I live in one of the most conservative counties in that state. That county is FAR more diverse than most places in California. FACT. Because I see it, every day. And actually, never realized how segregated CA was until I moved to a place that doesn't just think you should live among people who are not white, but actually practices that thinking.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Which part of Houston did you move to? Maybe that has something to do with it? I am 55 years old and lived in SoCal from 1991-2005 and do miss a lot of SoCal, but not the increasing crowds, costs and traffic and politics. Since I am a native Texan, the move back was easier. In the first few years back in Texas, I still stubbornly held on to the belief that I would return to Calif some day, but it’s becoming more of a memory. Palm Springs retirement is in the back of my mind.
Just a heads up...re Palm Springs area..

We have two homes...ORange County and Palm Springs area..LaQuinta specifically....
We have always loved the desert area..110 miles apart..best of both worlds..

While many do live in the desert year round...it is very hot about 4 months a year...so we close up that house around June 1...til mid September or so..

Advantage is price of housing in desert is doable compared to OC....we have 2200 sq feet there....about 400 K if we bought it today..

Definitely a retirement dream to have

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California