Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:08 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Plus other costs of living are better in other States and while some are individually small, the total can be damaging to many in CA.

I currently live in FL.

No State Income Tax

Lower car registration fees by a LOT

Lower gas prices by a LOT

My utility bill, which includes trash 3 times a week is lower than my CA one was, even with A/C on all day now as mu new home is built with block and solid with Cement for good insulation..

Lower housing costs and lower property taxes due to that, even with the higher % charged,

Lower rent costs for non homeowners.

Lower parking costs at the beach (Note $25.00 a year to park on the beach in Volusia County and no charge in the city parking lots if a resident).

Lower sales tax, though CA has a few things not taxed that FL does tax, but overall better at least for me.

My insurance is about the same as it was for my home in CA as I do not need hurricane or flooding insurance though just 8 miles fro the ocean and a lot closer to the inlets.

Less congestion when driving so less gas burned

I am sure there are other things as well, but in just this areas we are speaking of thousands of dollars in after tax income saved. If someone has the money CA can be a nice place to live if you are selective (Note that applies to any State) and a lot of things to do. You just have to be able to afford it all.
But you're in FLORIDA!

No thank you, I'll pay a little more.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:35 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
But you're in FLORIDA!

No thank you, I'll pay a little more.

it's not a LITTLE more and your location says Nevada so what're you worried about??

Old 06-10-2019, 11:49 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Nobody mentioned utilities....

My all-electric house cost me a $100/month in the dead of winter...low 15 high 30. I was snowbirding in California and get my electric bill at the RV co-op at the same time I got my electric bill in Washington state. So I went ahead and computed my electric bill IF I lived in California.....that $100 turned into just over $2000 a month!!!
According to this, the average monthly electric bill in CA is $88.00 and is less than the national average of $107/month.

https://www.electricitylocal.com/sta...a/aliso-viejo/
Quote:
Residential electricity in California

Residential electricity rates in California [3]
The average residential electricity rate in California is 15.34¢/kWh, which ranks 8th in the nation and is 29.12% greater than the national average rate of 11.88¢/kWh.

Residential electricity consumption in CA [3]
Residential electricity consumption in California averages 573 kWh/month, which ranks 48th in the nation and is 36.54% less than the national average of 903 kWh/month.

Residential electricity bills in CA [3]
The average monthly residential electricity bill in California is $88, which ranks 42nd in the nation and is 17.76% less than the national average of $107 per month.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Food ... um yes. Food is getting very expensive here both groceries and eating out.

Car ins, registration, gas, maintenance, all very high priced

Health ins, very high. I pay 500.00 a month and I'm healthy

Taxes through the roof and they keep adding more

On COL calculators it's 50% cheaper to live in Az then Ca

Nice try
Let's not exaggerate.

Where I am car insurance, registration and maintenance are all similar. Gas is about 5% cheaper (diesel is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper).

I'm willing to say that food costs MORE, including most non-chain restaurants.

Health insurance is actually MORE here.

Property tax rates are similar here if don't include the extra assessments (Mello-Roos for example) that are added on. If you buy an older house, that can be avoided. Total property taxes are generally lower because valuations are lower, not because the rate is lower.

Sales taxes are similar.

Utilities are similar (a little more in winter, a bit less in summer).

I can guarantee you, there is no windfall here. I probably saved a bit when I moved. Not a lot. Certainly nothing close to 50%.

Now that being said I don't like the direction CA is going and I don't like Newsom at all.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Let's not exaggerate.

Where I am car insurance, registration and maintenance are all similar. Gas is about 5% cheaper (diesel is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper).

I'm willing to say that food costs MORE, including most non-chain restaurants.

Health insurance is actually MORE here.

Property tax rates are similar here if don't include the extra assessments (Mello-Roos for example) that are added on. If you buy an older house, that can be avoided. Total property taxes are generally lower because valuations are lower, not because the rate is lower.

Sales taxes are similar.

Utilities are similar (a little more in winter, a bit less in summer).

I can guarantee you, there is no windfall here. I probably saved a bit when I moved. Not a lot. Certainly nothing close to 50%.

Now that being said I don't like the direction CA is going and I don't like Newsom at all.

according to the calculators comparing Reno with OC the cost of living is 30% lower where you live. I'd consider that a lot.....

Old 06-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Food ... um yes. Food is getting very expensive here both groceries and eating out.

Car ins, registration, gas, maintenance, all very high priced

Health ins, very high. I pay 500.00 a month and I'm healthy

Taxes through the roof and they keep adding more

On COL calculators it's 50% cheaper to live in Az then Ca

Nice try
Interesting since, according to this calculator, using a $75,000/year household income (Single adult) in LA as the basis, it costs about 13% less to live in Phoenix. The individual moving from LA would need to make $65,265 in Phoenix for a comparable lifestyle.

The Cost of Living in California
Amelia Josephson May 28, 2019
https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-...-in-california

I think it makes sense for people who cannot afford LA to move to a lower COL area, but they be in for a surprise in terms of anticipated savings if they move to Phoenix. Maybe they should check other lower COL areas.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:54 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Californians are retiring to the surrounding states and then real estate goes up and the areas become more crowded. No solution of course.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:08 PM

This, especially the part about rising evictions in Maricopa County, may be sobering news for some planning a move to Phoenix.

Why is Arizona housing so expensive? 2 things you can do to make it more affordable
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...ons/763629002/

Quote:
The cost of housing is crushing

Low-income workers across the state have a tough time finding a place to live that costs 30 percent or less of income, which is the formula experts use to determine affordability.

The typical Valley renter earns $17.59 per hour, but it takes about $19.50 an hour to afford a decent two-bedroom apartment, according to reporting by The Republic’s Catherine Reagor.

In Flagstaff, renters need to earn $21.71 an hour to afford a two-bedroom apartment, but the estimated typical hourly wage there is $12.37, making the toughest city in the state for renters.

In April, the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development proposed changes that would reduce HUD housing subsidies, impacting about 89,000 Arizonans, including about 39,100 children, according to reporting by The Republic’s Maria Polletta.

Evictions in Maricopa County rose sharply in 2017, according to reporting by The Republic’s Alden Woods.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:16 PM

AZ's homelessness rate may see a sharp increase if proposed HUD cutbacks take effect:
Quote:
Why is Arizona housing so expensive? 2 things you can do to make it more affordable
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...ons/763629002/

In April, the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development proposed changes that would reduce HUD housing subsidies, impacting about 89,000 Arizonans, including about 39,100 children, according to reporting by The Republic’s Maria Polletta.

Evictions in Maricopa County rose sharply in 2017, according to reporting by The Republic’s Alden Woods.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
it's not a LITTLE more and your location says Nevada so what're you worried about??
Misinformation and generalizations. Just because I live in Nevada means I can't post here?

Quote:
according to the calculators comparing Reno with OC the cost of living is 30% lower where you live. I'd consider that a lot.....
I actually live here so screw the calculators. I gave my opinions based on ACTUAL experience. I used the same insurance company for home and auto when I moved. I even agreed with you on a point or two. So if you can provide specific information to dispute my claims and can back that up, have at it.

Why are you comparing with OC? Why not compare to Sacramento? Fresno? Bakersfield? IE? First you say CA then you use one of the most expensive areas in the state to compare to Reno? Stop moving the goal posts for your convenience.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 06-10-2019 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California