Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Dude. The MAJORITY is Democratic here. That doesn't mean 100%. Consult a dictionary if you are unfamiliar with this word.

Again, just LOOK at this map.

https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...nt/california/

Look at that map and tell me the majority doesn't share liberal values. This is just COMMON SENSE. This state has been blue for, what, 25+ years? Probably longer than that. KGO was the #1 radio station in the Bay Area -- overall, both music and talk radio -- from 1978 until just a couple years ago when they let go of all the evening talk show hosts. That should tell you something about people's political views here.

Does 100% of Georgia -- and the South in general -- support Trump? Probably not. But the majority does. Similarly, the majority here does NOT support Trump.
I agree, but I don't think all democrats have the same "liberal values". And I am convinced that in California on a state level lobbyists influence policy more than voters do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:07 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
When I lived in N. Cali back in the 80's they most certainly were NOT blue. All my friends were quite conservative. I moved out in 93 just in time. Now you can forget about it and you can have it. Those turkeys will give everything away for free no matter what. Welcome every and anyone across the border criminal or not. Give them free health care, Social Security, education and more. Let the REAL Americans there that are homeless just whither away. They most certainly have their priorities screwed up.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:41 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Dude. The MAJORITY is Democratic here. That doesn't mean 100%. Consult a dictionary if you are unfamiliar with this word.

Again, just LOOK at this map.

https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...nt/california/

Look at that map and tell me the majority doesn't share liberal values. This is just COMMON SENSE. This state has been blue for, what, 25+ years? Probably longer than that. KGO was the #1 radio station in the Bay Area -- overall, both music and talk radio -- from 1978 until just a couple years ago when they let go of all the evening talk show hosts. That should tell you something about people's political views here.

Does 100% of Georgia -- and the South in general -- support Trump? Probably not. But the majority does. Similarly, the majority here does NOT support Trump.
You keep saying shared values and common goals, but that map indicates how people voted, not a 100 percent tell of what their values are. I know lots of people that voted for the lesser of two evils and didn’t agree with either party.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:14 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You keep saying shared values and common goals, but that map indicates how people voted, not a 100 percent tell of what their values are.
Think about the Republican candidate and then think about this statement again. What was he saying he grabs women by? What was he saying about all Mexicans? What did he say about African-Americans, again? No, in 2016 there was a stark difference between Clinton and Trump. The people in the blue areas chose Clinton. And the voter turnout in 2019 was VERY high. 70% in some counties.

It's not just 2016. Going back at least as long as I've been alive, this state has been a strongly blue state. KGO, #1 since 1978. With left wing hosts like Ronn Owens. Officially a sanctuary state, support for abortion rights, support for unions, goal of universal health care using left wing means....this is very much a blue state.

I don't know why it is so hard for you to understand that California is a blue state. Many of us SHARE THOSE VALUES. I understand that YOU do not. But the map clearly shows that MOST OF US DO. The VAST MAJORITY in this state feel that way. If you don't share those values, obviously that is a perfectly respectable reason to leave the state. But be honest about it, man. Don't claim others don't understand or that there's some secret silent majority who feels the way you do. Just admit that most of us share liberal values here, but you honestly do not, and you left because you don't share our values and opinions.

It's just the same as me not wanting to live in Arizona or Utah or Wyoming because I don't share THEIR values. I don't care if a home costs $10 there. I wouldn't want to live there because those are strongly red states and I would be living among Trump supporters.

So I can understand you wanting to leave California. Just be honest about it, that's all I ask.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 06-27-2019 at 11:28 PM..

Old 06-27-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree, but I don't think all democrats have the same "liberal values".
Eh, some are further to the left. I myself am a more conservative Democrat. But we're definitely on the collectivist side or the blue side, as a state.

Even the Republican Party in California is cool. Most are libertarians, and agree with the Democrats on social issues. Although this year they elected a governor candidate who is against sanctuary cities, so I couldn't vote for him. But I voted for Arnold Schwarzenegger both times.

Quote:
And I am convinced that in California on a state level lobbyists influence policy more than voters do.
Actually we have one of the longest constitutions in the world. Our state constitution is 400+ pages. And 80% of that was direct voter initiative. So I would dispute that statement.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:52 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Think about the Republican candidate and then think about this statement again. What was he saying he grabs women by? What was he saying about all Mexicans? What did he say about African-Americans, again? No, in 2016 there was a stark difference between Clinton and Trump. The people in the blue areas chose Clinton. And the voter turnout in 2019 was VERY high. 70% in some counties.

It's not just 2016. Going back at least as long as I've been alive, this state has been a strongly blue state. KGO, #1 since 1978. With left wing hosts like Ronn Owens. Officially a sanctuary state, support for abortion rights, support for unions, goal of universal health care using left wing means....this is very much a blue state.

I don't know why it is so hard for you to understand that California is a blue state. Many of us SHARE THOSE VALUES. I understand that YOU do not. But the map clearly shows that MOST OF US DO. The VAST MAJORITY in this state feel that way. If you don't share those values, obviously that is a perfectly respectable reason to leave the state. But be honest about it, man. Don't claim others don't understand or that there's some secret silent majority who feels the way you do. Just admit that most of us share liberal values here, but you honestly do not, and you left because you don't share our values and opinions.

It's just the same as me not wanting to live in Arizona or Utah or Wyoming because I don't share THEIR values. I don't care if a home costs $10 there. I wouldn't want to live there because those are strongly red states and I would be living among Trump supporters.

So I can understand you wanting to leave California. Just be honest about it, that's all I ask.
Oh I’ve been pretty honest about it. I already left California and you know it. I think you need to realize that every state can have pockets. You claimed that the entire state of Georgia, all 5 people as you claim vote red. Yet facts are my county in Georgia voted blue, so really you ought to think about getting your facts straight instead of making false claims about other areas. Now if you lived in those other areas I might accept what you have to say with a bit more respect, but you haven’t.
You also are incorrect saying I left because of liberal values. I actually didn’t care about that at all when it came to moving. I did so for financial reasons and that is well chronicled by posts I made. Heck I was actually a little fearful about the big change moving to the south because I lived in the Bay Area way longer than you have for all of my life and held some stereotypes of it like you do now. But actually visiting here multiple times proved I was wrong about any fears.
The first place I moved to in Georgia my neighbors were very liberal, maybe more so than Californians .
Maybe you should tell them all how red they all are.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:33 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:

Hmm, you must be 10 years old, which explains a lot about your posts. Please be educated before you make such asinine statements. Take a look at the elections in the 80s. And lest you forget, that Reagan was a Republican as governor. Maybe you say this because he switched from being a Democrat?

https://www.270towin.com/1988_Election/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...61825588864980

https://www.270towin.com/1980_Election/

Old 06-30-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Oh I’ve been pretty honest about it.

ok, you're a racist who supports Trump. Fair enough.

Stop saying others don't understand or there are lots of racists in California or whatever. The VAST MAJORITY of California disagrees with you. That is why you left. Stop pretending otherwise.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Hmm, you must be 10 years old,

Quote:
And lest you forget, that Reagan was a Republican as governor. Maybe you say this because he switched from being a Democrat?
Reagan was also not nearly as far to the right as Mike Pence. He was a moderate like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

You don't get elected as governor in California if you're far to the right, because WE ARE A BLUE STATE. And have been for like 40 or 50 years. I thought you said you're from Switzerland or something anyway, what would you know of it?

Old 06-30-2019, 05:40 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
That's strange. I lived in the SF Bay area in the 80's and didn't know a Democrat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California