Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 09:37 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times

Advertisements

Examining all retirement options and still have a couple relatives in California but moved away for my first and subsequent jobs. It was a great place to grow up in the 50's and 60's but now is so totally different. Twice the population for starters. Huge numbers of housing developments in what we considered the natural places. The water supply, which we were led to believe was at a critical level back then, must be tremendously and dangerously depleted.

Air quality is greatly improved, but that's about all. Today, other than the temperate dry weather and good jobs, what is the draw of Calif? Am I missing something? Housing of course is more expensive, but even if willing to deal with that, why would a retiree want to move back to California? I am sure there are good reasons, so please help with some validation if you can. I would really welcome it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 10:50 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Examining all retirement options and still have a couple relatives in California but moved away for my first and subsequent jobs. It was a great place to grow up in the 50's and 60's but now is so totally different. Twice the population for starters. Huge numbers of housing developments in what we considered the natural places. The water supply, which we were led to believe was at a critical level back then, must be tremendously and dangerously depleted.

Air quality is greatly improved, but that's about all. Today, other than the temperate dry weather and good jobs, what is the draw of Calif? Am I missing something? Housing of course is more expensive, but even if willing to deal with that, why would a retiree want to move back to California? I am sure there are good reasons, so please help with some validation if you can. I would really welcome it.
If you have a lot of money and want to be near grand kids and the weathers not bad here. That's all I can think of. Not many people move here to retire.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:04 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Well no grand kids and not made of money but it would be nice to live near a relative. Isn’t there anything nice for seniors to do in the golden state?

Old 06-08-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Well no grand kids and not made of money but it would be nice to live near a relative. Isn’t there anything nice for seniors to do in the golden state?
There's some senior communities and senior centers scattered around but I live in Orange County and it's a cut throat climb the ladder young people's area. My friends work for big companies and nobody in their 60s works there. It's not easy for a lot of elderly to drive here either.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:22 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:

We moved back to California after my husband retired in 2014, we only moved out of state because my husband got a job offer in Nevada that he couldn't refuse. We decided on Sacramento, we could have bought in the bay area but didn't want to be house poor, so we have a nice mid century modern home on a quarter acre, we grow most of our own produce and have citrus and fig trees. We have 7 free range chickens who keep us well supplied in eggs and we are close to a ton of restaurants and shopping. We paid 300k for our home and due to prop 13 we don't have to worry about our taxes becoming unaffordable in the future. We're both healthy and have no mobility issues but in years to come if we quit driving we are about 300 feet from a bus stop. There's something to do here year round and if we get bored we are a few hours from Reno where we used to live and it's not far to go to San Francisco or the beach. PS the water supply is just fine, there were record snow levels in the Sierras and the reservoirs are full.

My concern is that you seem really uncertain about California so why not do some more research and you might find a state that's better suited to your tastes and needs? If it's not a good fit for you I don't think anyone would be able to convince you otherwise.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Today, other than the temperate dry weather and good jobs, what is the draw of Calif? Am I missing something? Housing of course is more expensive, but even if willing to deal with that, why would a retiree want to move back to California? I am sure there are good reasons, so please help with some validation if you can. I would really welcome it.
My aunt and uncle raised their kids here (Orange County) then were transferred to Houston when they were in their late 40s. They came back and now live in Laguna Woods. They love it. They love the weather, they're active and there's lots to do there, two of their kids and many of their grandkids live in southern CA.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:59 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
What do you like to do? I'm 72 my husband is 75 - we like to go horseback riding with our friends who live near Auburn, we go deep sea fishing a few times a year, hike in the Sierras, we take our son's boat out quite a bit, but when he's using it we take our raft out on the American River. We love to try new restaurants, go to brewpubs and local events and farmer's markets. My husband is a black belt in Aikido and spends three days a week at the dojo and we both like to go skeet shooting.

But to be honest we were able to do most of that when we lived in Reno. The one thing we miss about being there was the proximity to great cross country skiing, we only go a few times a year now because getting stuck on 80 in a snowstorm is not anyone's idea of fun.

Whenever I entertain the idea that I might be happier somewhere else I recall what my mother told me about that; "If you're not happy here you won't be happy there"

Last edited by 2sleepy; 06-09-2019 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-09-2019, 08:13 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,155 times
Quote:
The population has gone up pretty much everywhere, so not unique to CA. Water, either too much or too little, is also a problem in many other places. The 50s and 60s aren't coming back, no matter where you live.

Quote:
As you know, California is a hugely variable state. Alturas and San Diego are so different they might as well be on other planets. A little research will almost always get you a compatible environment somewhere within the state borders. I happen to like CA's politics; my neighbors would probably call me a liberal or worse, but I consider myself a moderate. I retired to a little "ranchette" in the Sierra Foothills. Property out here isn't crazy expensive and I don't have to put up with very close neighbors. However, if you like that sort of thing there are two huge Sun City golf course retirement communities within ten miles of my place.

I'm not quite sure what the point of your question is, honestly. If you want to move back to CA, great! If you like it where you are, or want to go somewhere else, that's fine too. It's not about why "a retiree would want to move back to California," it's what you think the right move is for you.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
My aunt and uncle raised their kids here (Orange County) then were transferred to Houston when they were in their late 40s. They came back and now live in Laguna Woods. They love it. They love the weather, they're active and there's lots to do there, two of their kids and many of their grandkids live in southern CA.
Lag woods seems fine as long as you have lots of money.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:42 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
I never left CA. And we have quite a number of retired friends who never left. Why leave if you like it here? On the other hand if you hate where you live, then by all means, move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California