Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 06:56 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times

Advertisements

It's the same government employees or retired ones defending the government stealing more money from the citizens. Of course, they would defend the practice because they benefit greatly from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 07:01 PM

13,722 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
It's all about tax money. Residential property taxes is the biggest fish left to fillet.

Hate to say it, but this continuous assault on Prop 13 is NOT going to stop until California voters smarten up.
Exactly. It's all those home bought before 2000. My brother is paying $4500 in property tax for his house bought in 1996 for $450,000. It is now worth at least 1.8 million.

Get rid of Prop 13 and he'll be paying 17-18 grand

Both he and is wife are big time liberals who are now crying foul. They see the writing on the wall.

Me? I sold my San Francisco property this year. Took the money and ran.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:58 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
There's no corporate loophole.
Read the thread. Prop 13 contains a loophole that avoids re-assessment on commercial property if less than 50 percent of ownership changes hands. Corporate merges and takeovers are not always considered a sale or ownership change as defined by Prop 13, and therefore real estate is not re-valued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
There's probably a good explanation why anyone would vehemently defend the D money grab time and time again.
Why do you try to turn EVERYTHING into a partisan issue?

Old 11-09-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Exactly. It's all those home bought before 2000. My brother is paying $4500 in property tax for his house bought in 1996 for $450,000. It is now worth at least 1.8 million.

Get rid of Prop 13 and he'll be paying 17-18 grand

Both he and is wife are big time liberals who are now crying foul. They see the writing on the wall.

Me? I sold my San Francisco property this year. Took the money and ran.
Look at who is against this initiative.

The California Business Roundtable and the California Chamber of Commerce, which represent some of the largest and wealthiest corporations in California.

They have already launched a direct-mail campaign to scare voters into believing that this initiative will repeal Prop 13 and raise their property taxes. Actually, it would affect only a fraction of wealthy corporate landowners and investors who have been able to benefit from huge tax giveaways at the expense of homeowners, renters, and small businesses.

https://www.nndb.com/org/631/000126253/

Old 11-09-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Look at who is against this initiative.

The California Business Roundtable and the California Chamber of Commerce, which represent some of the largest and wealthiest corporations in California.

They have already launched a direct-mail campaign to scare voters into believing that this initiative will repeal Prop 13 and raise their property taxes. Actually, it would affect only a fraction of wealthy corporate landowners and investors who have been able to benefit from huge tax giveaways at the expense of homeowners, renters, and small businesses.

https://www.nndb.com/org/631/000126253/

I used to think because San Francisco landlords had the money renters would never call the shots. But SF renters did just that because they outnumber the people with property by a wide margin.

Add to that home owners who are pissed because they pay thousands more in property tax each year than their neighbor.

No, Prop. 13 is on the way out... it's just a matter of time.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I used to think because San Francisco landlords had the money renters would never call the shots. But SF renters did just that because they outnumber the people with property by a wide margin.

Add to that home owners who are pissed because they pay thousands more in property tax each year than their neighbor.
Without Prop 13, homeowners "who are pissed because they pay thousands more in property tax each year than their neighbor" would still pay their current property taxes. And those taxes would go up whenever a home in their neighborhood was sold and values were reassessed, just as they did before Prop 13.

You really believe that recent homeowners are stupid enough not to realize that?

Old 11-09-2019, 04:49 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Without Prop 13, homeowners "who are pissed because they pay thousands more in property tax each year than their neighbor" would still pay their current property taxes. And those taxes would go up whenever a home in their neighborhood was sold and values were reassessed, just as they did before Prop 13.

You really believe that recent homeowners are stupid enough not to realize that?
One person pointed out that renters do not understand and would vote Prop 13 out as more people rent than own now. Maybe true maybe not, but the politicians will do all they can to get rid of it, to grab more money.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
One person pointed out that renters do not understand and would vote Prop 13 out as more people rent than own now. Maybe true maybe not
Homeownership in California is around 55% now, and according to Census figures in 1978, it was between 54 and 56%, so it hasn't changed that much.

I just think that renters are smarter than to believe that overturning Prop 13 would benefit them.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:08 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Homeownership in California is around 55% now, and according to Census figures in 1978, it was between 54 and 56%, so it hasn't changed that much.

I just think that renters are smarter than to believe that overturning Prop 13 would benefit them.
Me, neither. Landlords will pass the increase in taxes along to them. Just like shoplifters. Stores pass on the loss they incur to those of us who don't steal their items. Renters will end up absorbing the tax increase in the end. I hope they know that. Then again ...

Old 11-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:

What I think is those who can afford to pay 17-18 grand a year in property taxes have money. A lot of
money. And a $500-800 tax hike each year isn't going to hurt them.

But I agree such homeowners (those upset their neighbors are paying thousands less in property taxes) won't make much of a difference when it comes to voting. So yes, most people even those who bought in recent years will support prop. 13.

Problem is the grass root movement to repeal Prop. 13 grows stronger each year. Add to this the powers that be in Sacramento want/need the money.

A repeal will likely be done piece by piece with the state legislature making the cuts.

But make no doubt if the Dem continue to hold a super majority Prop. 13 is on the way out.

Last edited by john3232; 11-09-2019 at 07:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California