Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2020, 09:12 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrelo View Post
You get exactly what you vote for.

So when someone votes no on this proposition, and another guy votes yes, they'll both get what they wanted?

The problem with all these ballot initiatives is they're an end-run around the legislative process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 11:37 AM

629 posts, read 619,715 times
The biggest problem we’re facing here, just like every time a vote is proposed where someone else will be paying for something, is people aren’t asking the right question. It’s not “should we make them pay for *insert reason here* by raising their taxes?” It should always be “am I ok if my cost of living goes up?” Always. Always always always assume that when a new tax is proposed that the target you are expecting to pay will turn around and drag you along. Always! Every damn time!

Here’s the deal. I won’t be paying for this extra property tax. I will actually be paying less, since I am pushing my second tenant from a gross lease to a triple net lease starting in November. So the little that I was paying before will now be paid by them, because i see what’s going to happen. Hell, my tenants won’t be paying for it either, not really. Their customers will be, when they raise prices.

But at the end of the day, everyone will be asking “why the hell is everything getting so expensive? It already cost a lot to live here!” And then your trusted politician excitedly peaks his/her head around the corner, saying “I’ll tell you why! It’s those evil greedy business owners and property owners! Let’s raise their taxes and then we can use that money to help you out!”

Rinse.

Repeat...

Old 09-27-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
That's entirely the reason they put these things to referendum and bypass the legislature. Direct democracy is all about appealing to people's emotions and idiocy.

This is why we are a republic, and not a democracy. And thank god we are. The founding fathers were brilliant for protecting the stability of the country against the masses.

The average person has no clue that we aren’t actually a true democracy. Probably because Democrats shout over and over that we live in a democracy, and why when things don’t go their way it’s just so unfair. Like what’s happening since the last election.

The politicians know we don’t, they’re not ignorant of the laws, but the people don’t need to know that. Not when they can be manipulated so easily. Obviously, both sides do it, but in California, where there are no checks and balances, it is 100% in one direction. Which is very very dangerous.

Last edited by alliance; 09-27-2020 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-27-2020, 05:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
This is why we are a republic, and not a democracy. And thank god we are. The founding fathers were brilliant for protecting the stability of the country against the masses.

The average person has no clue that we aren’t actually a true democracy. Probably because Democrats shout over and over that we live in a democracy, and why when things don’t go their way it’s just so unfair. Like what’s happening since the last election.

The politicians know we don’t, they’re not ignorant of the laws, but the people don’t need to know that. Not when they can be manipulated so easily. Obviously, both sides do it, but in California, where there are no checks and balances, it is 100% in one direction. Which is very very dangerous.
Do they still have Civic classes in school where the constitution and the meaning of a republic, democracy etc is taught?

Old 09-28-2020, 08:14 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Do they still have Civic classes in school where the constitution and the meaning of a republic, democracy etc is taught?
Of course; this one semester course is a requirement for a diploma from any public high school in California.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Of course; this one semester course is a requirement for a diploma from any public high school in California.

I would say the better question is, how is it taught? Is it taught to indoctrinate towards progressivism (extremism), which is happening at universities all over the country, or are they actually teaching the source material as it was intended? Meaning, are they presenting the source material without bias in an effort simply to educate and inform, or do they teach that it is living, outdated, and needs to be updated/changed to reflect the desires of a current political leaning? That probably varies by region, if I were to guess. I would never raise kids in this state though, knowing what I now know of how California wants “education” to be done.

Seeing as how the average person is wanting to abolish the electoral college, one of the fundamental components of how we determine leadership and the most effective method at both fairness towards the individual states as well as preventing the dangers of a true democracy (read, keeping the ignorant masses from running things into the ground) where small heavily populated regions and states literally run the rest of the country, I’d say that it is taught very poorly (or I suppose you could argue it is taught well, depending on your personal beliefs on the subject). The way that California votes is another example of what happens in a democracy. Which takes us back to the topic of this thread. Without checks and balances within a government, the average useful idiot blindly does what they’re told, believing their hero politicians, which never ends well. The outcomes of things like this proposition are obvious for those who can think critically, but how many voters actually consider the true consequences of what they vote for...? And then when it doesn’t go as promised they pass blame elsewhere, and the politicians are there to give them nudges towards groups who had nothing to do with it. Damn rich people, white people, racists, bigots, Republicans. But mostly it’s trumps fault. Never their own.

Apologize for the political tangent, but it’s getting harder and harder to have any discussion on any topic without politics being a factor nowadays. Especially on this forum, which is part of why I personally rarely look at it anymore. It’s a toxic echochamber of anger and hate, but that’s a reflection of leftism, IMO.

Ok, I’m done with that, apologies again.

Last edited by alliance; 09-28-2020 at 01:10 PM..

Old 09-28-2020, 07:33 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
I would say the better question is, how is it taught? Is it taught to indoctrinate towards progressivism (extremism), which is happening at universities all over the country, or are they actually teaching the source material as it was intended? Meaning, are they presenting the source material without bias in an effort simply to educate and inform, or do they teach that it is living, outdated, and needs to be updated/changed to reflect the desires of a current political leaning? That probably varies by region, if I were to guess. I would never raise kids in this state though, knowing what I now know of how California wants “education” to be done.

Seeing as how the average person is wanting to abolish the electoral college, one of the fundamental components of how we determine leadership and the most effective method at both fairness towards the individual states as well as preventing the dangers of a true democracy (read, keeping the ignorant masses from running things into the ground) where small heavily populated regions and states literally run the rest of the country, I’d say that it is taught very poorly (or I suppose you could argue it is taught well, depending on your personal beliefs on the subject). The way that California votes is another example of what happens in a democracy. Which takes us back to the topic of this thread. Without checks and balances within a government, the average useful idiot blindly does what they’re told, believing their hero politicians, which never ends well. The outcomes of things like this proposition are obvious for those who can think critically, but how many voters actually consider the true consequences of what they vote for...? And then when it doesn’t go as promised they pass blame elsewhere, and the politicians are there to give them nudges towards groups who had nothing to do with it. Damn rich people, white people, racists, bigots, Republicans. But mostly it’s trumps fault. Never their own.

Apologize for the political tangent, but it’s getting harder and harder to have any discussion on any topic without politics being a factor nowadays. Especially on this forum, which is part of why I personally rarely look at it anymore. It’s a toxic echochamber of anger and hate, but that’s a reflection of leftism, IMO.

Ok, I’m done with that, apologies again.
The electoral college is a joke, it trashes the concept of "one person one vote". Your explanations of the virtues of the electoral college weren't very compelling.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...elections-2016

Old 09-28-2020, 08:52 PM

50,287 posts, read 47,032,885 times
If there weren't balances like the Constitution or Electoral College things like gay marriage would be banned in California. For starters.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:41 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:

Seeing as how the average person is wanting to abolish the electoral college, one of the fundamental components of how we determine leadership and the most effective method at both fairness towards the individual states as well as preventing the dangers of a true democracy (read, keeping the ignorant masses from running things into the ground) where small heavily populated regions and states literally run the rest of the country, I’d say that it is taught very poorly (or I suppose you could argue it is taught well, depending on your personal beliefs on the subject).
There is nothing in the constitution requiring the arcane "winner-take-all" system we have in 48 of the 50 states. There are millions of Republicans in 'blue' California and millions of Democrats in 'red' Texas whose votes just disappear in Presidential elections.

Every state could just adopt a system like Maine and Nebraska currently use and allocate their electors by the popular vote in each of their congressional districts. Totally more representative and completely within the E.C. and constitutional framework.

Quote:

Just remember when you point a finger there are three pointing right back at you.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If there weren't balances like the Constitution or Electoral College things like gay marriage would be banned in California. For starters.
What does the electoral college have to do with gay marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California