Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2020, 07:18 PM

19,183 posts, read 16,638,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Yeah, a public employee voting yes for more pension money from the working pubic. Why am I not surprised?

Vote NO on Prop 19
Oh david1 ... You clearly haven't read the Proposition or understand what it will do. There are already ten counties in the state that have what Proposition 19 will do for the entire state.

I will tell you this, though. If Proposition 19 fails, there will be people in every county, the ones who don't have this benefit, going to their city council or county meetings and demand that they implement the same policy that the other ten counties have. It might take some time to do it, but it will happen. Either that, or the other counties who have it will remove it. And I don't think it will please the people who have it available for them right now. So buckle up, friend and hope it will pass. It's all about being fair to everyone and isn't that what so many here cry and wail about? Fair share, fair for everyone?

But, if it's too hard for you to decipher exactly what the initiative is really about, either leave it blank or stay away from the ballot box altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 07:18 PM

4,340 posts, read 2,214,518 times
But it hurts family businesses.

Last thing CA needs is anything that hurts businesses.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:24 PM

19,183 posts, read 16,638,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

What? How in the heck does this even affect a family business?

This is the wording of the Proposition. Please tell me where it mentions businesses.

Quote:
A "yes" vote supports this constitutional amendment to:
* allow eligible homeowners to transfer their tax assessments anywhere within the state and allow tax assessments to be transferred to a more expensive home with an upward adjustment;
* increase the number of times that persons over 55 years old or with severe disabilities can transfer their tax assessments from one to three;
* require that inherited homes that are not used as principal residences, such as second homes or rentals, be reassessed at market value when transferred; and
* allocate additional revenue or net savings resulting from the ballot measure to wildfire agencies and counties.
A "no" vote opposes this constitutional amendment, therefore continuing to:
* allow eligible homeowners to transfer their tax assessments within counties and to homes of equal or lesser market value;
* keep the number of times that persons over 55 years old or with severe disabilities can transfer their tax assessments at one;
* allow the tax assessments on inherited homes, including those not used as principal residences, to be transferred from parent to child or grandparent to grandchild.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:25 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,432,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Here is Howard Jarvis Taxpayer Association's take on it. Apparently, voters rejected something similar -- Prop 5 in 2018, which I voted for. I remember some people said it was something that would only benefit rich old people. The difference now is they added the transfer tax between family members and in effect weaken Prop 13. I am voting NO.
Howard Jarvis' Association does not protect residential property owners. It has become clear that the only taxpayers they want to protect are the big guys/landlords, etc.

If someone inherits the family HOME and then LIVES IN IT, they are treated the same as the owner from whom they have inherited the HOME.

Howard Jarivs' Association has really shown their true colors this year and now we know they don't care about ordinary homeowners.

The best vote is a YES on 19!

Old 11-01-2020, 06:14 AM

26,684 posts, read 26,707,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

This thread is supposed to be about Prop 15, the Tax on Commercial and Industrial Properties for Education and Local Government Funding Initiative:

https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...itiative_(2020)

Please don't confuse this with Prop 19, the one about Property Tax Transfers:

https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...mendment_(2020)

THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT PROPOSITIONS.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:58 AM

629 posts, read 618,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
This thread is supposed to be about Prop 15, the Tax on Commercial and Industrial Properties for Education and Local Government Funding Initiative:

https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...itiative_(2020)

Please don't confuse this with Prop 19, the one about Property Tax Transfers:

https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...mendment_(2020)

THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT PROPOSITIONS.

I’m assuming he was referring to how if prop 15 passes then the increased property taxes on commercial properties will be passed onto the businesses, which is a standard component of commercial leases. So yes, this will absolutely hurt family businesses. It will hurt all businesses. And it will impact employees and consumers.

But I thought this was already established about 500 times on this thread. Or are there still people in denial who are willfully ignorant of this FACT?

Heh, stupid question. This is California, so of course people will never accept consequences of what will happen over what they want to happen.

But good job learning him good on the propositions. You go you!

Old 11-01-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
I’m assuming he was referring to how if prop 15 passes then the increased property taxes on commercial properties will be passed onto the businesses, which is a standard component of commercial leases. So yes, this will absolutely hurt family businesses. It will hurt all businesses. And it will impact employees and consumers.

But I thought this was already established about 500 times on this thread. Or are there still people in denial who are willfully ignorant of this FACT?

Heh, stupid question. This is California, so of course people will never accept consequences of what will happen over what they want to happen.

That there was a funny reply to CA4Now....

Old 11-01-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
What? How in the heck does this even affect a family business?
That poster didn't use the quote function, so it's hard to figure out to which proposition he's referring.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
Good put down. Does it make you feel better?

Old 11-01-2020, 09:12 AM

I sure hope you guys didn't vote like you post here.

Not enough digging and understanding the real impact of all of these propositions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California