Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 09:03 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Lol
The same tired link he keeps reposting, but can’t actually define or defend those values he keeps mentioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 01:46 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Lol
The same tired link he keeps reposting, but can’t actually define or defend those values he keeps mentioning.

The map shows most people in California agree with this:

https://www.cadem.org/our-california/platform

Old 07-01-2019, 04:03 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
If you live in Anaheim and grew up here in California (rather than being a transplant), then you know that California is better than any flyover state and it isn't about the cost of living here.
No "ifs" about it, dude, if you've read my profile and some quite detailed posts.

I have lived and currently do live in Anaheim, and have lived in a handful of other cities in the LA/OC region for my entire life. (with the exception of a month and a half in the DC area, the scene of my first attempt at university).

For the record, I love it here and I call it home.

BUT, that doesn't I haven't visited other places and appreciated them, or that I don't want to visit other states I haven't seen yet, but only have "flown over". I'm looking at you, Nebraska, Kansas and North Dakota! (already have seen Rushmore).

There are other values that drive my decisions than the (pride) in calling the Golden State home, but that would be a discussion for another forum.

We're not all alike here, either, and you should know that, since there are nearly 40 MILLION PEOPLE in this state.

Last edited by mrsltd; 07-01-2019 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-01-2019, 07:21 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
No "ifs" about it, dude, if you've read my profile and some quite detailed posts.

I have lived and currently do live in Anaheim, and have lived in a handful of other cities in the LA/OC region for my entire life. (with the exception of a month and a half in the DC area, the scene of my first attempt at university).

For the record, I love it here and I call it home.

BUT, that doesn't I haven't visited other places and appreciated them, or that I don't want to visit other states I haven't seen yet, but only have "flown over". I'm looking at you, Nebraska, Kansas and North Dakota! (already have seen Rushmore).

There are other values that drive my decisions than the (pride) in calling the Golden State home, but that would be a discussion for another forum.

We're not all alike here, either, and you should know that, since there are nearly 40 MILLION PEOPLE in this state.
Respect your opinion and pride of California and the fact that you respect others. Somewhere there’s a lesson for someone here.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:58 AM

994 posts, read 968,591 times
Default Is California still the dream?

As much as people hate California more than ever for their laws, high COL, it's leaders tactics and approaches on issues, do you think it's still California Dreamin' ? I've only had a short visit near Aspen, through LA outskirts and hiked some in NorCal. I prefer north to south overall so far , and don't agree with some things. I'd still choose to live in northern Ca if given a choice on where to live long term.

What are your thoughts?

Old 07-07-2020, 08:16 AM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Ten’s of millions of people are very happy to live in California. And many 10’s of millions more would like to. Much as I’d prefer fewer people, to be honest is to admit there are good reasons why there is so much love - and desire - for the state.

The hate? Meh. Sour grapes. Ideological obsessions. Ignorance. Whatever. If that’s how some people play the game ... and there are plenty who come to post their tantrums in this forum ... Life is short.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:40 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
As much as people hate California more than ever for their laws, high COL, it's leaders tactics and approaches on issues, do you think it's still California Dreamin' ? I've only had a short visit near Aspen, through LA outskirts and hiked some in NorCal. I prefer north to south overall so far , and don't agree with some things. I'd still choose to live in northern Ca if given a choice on where to live long term.

What are your thoughts?
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/10/3...ved-a-38-jump/

Quote:
California had 190,122 more residents move out to other states in 2018 than arrived — a 38% jump in a much-discussed outmigration benchmark, new Census Bureau data shows.

California’s real population challenge is getting other Americans to move here.

Yes, 501,023 new residents arrived from other states in 2018. And yes, that’s the third-highest inflow among the states. But that’s down 4.2% in a year and is a five-year low. Plus, it’s the nation’s worst rate of attraction: Only 1.3% of the state’s population moved last year to California from elsewhere in the U.S.

Population growth isn’t just a popularity contest. While some will complain about overcrowding, California businesses find themselves short of workers. And population patterns have national political consequences as the 2020 Census will determine how congressional seats are divided among the states.
Those are pretty much my thoughts. Most wage earners who can find jobs outside of the state are simply leaving. Those who are tied to the state (state workers, welfare takers), usually stay. California's population is only sustained through birth rates, and even then, mostly centered in one particular demographic. I'll let you guess which one based on the politics of the state.

If you're rich (we're talking at least over $5 million net worth), none of this really matters.

For anyone making south of 100k, the "California Dream" doesn't really exist anymore.

Now the state is facing a near $60 billion budget deficit and 7 million unemployment claims. Major cities in the state are defunding their police. I predict crime will rise shortly. Sounds kind of like a nightmare to me.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:01 AM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
And so it starts

The real question is: “why is it important to grow population?”

A declining population can be a benefit.

That said, California’s population isn’t declining ... it’s still growing, despite lower income earners moving to other states more than moving in.

Moreover, the geographic majority of the state is not unaffordable, even for “wage-earners”. Only coastal California (which is where most all folks prefer to live).

Old 07-07-2020, 12:48 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
It's better than South Carolina, for sure.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:50 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
Thoughts:

As long as people can live in an area that's not overcrowded and thus has crushing traffic, it's still the dream. Or if people who DO live in overcrowded areas with crushing traffic are able to avoid the worst traffic hours, as some do, then yes--still the dream.

Except for the part about unreliable power due to fires and a cheapskate (possibly corrupt) utility company. If you can live in an area not served by PG & E, or if you have solar or wind energy as a backup + all of the above, -- still the dream.

Hey, it may have a few band-aids here and there, but...the dream still lives.

Man, those beaches! And the redwood forests! And that cool coastal weather! Yup, the dream's still there. ♥

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-07-2020 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California