Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 08:38 PM

10,284 posts, read 8,440,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
We don't control guns that tightly at all. We have an individual right to firearms per the 2nd Amendment. Which I support. But I don't see the problem with doing a background check on ammo SINCE IT IS ILLEGAL TO OWN AMMO IF YOU ARE A FELON....AND IT HAS BEEN ILLEGAL SINCE THE 60s....SO THIS IS ENFORCEMENT OF EXISTING LAWS. The way it was before, you didn't have to do a NICS check for ammo, which made no sense, since that meant that if you were a felon you could buy something that the law said it was illegal for you to own. This is simply making it so we actually enforce the law against a felon owning ammo.

I don't see the problem, and no one has been able to explain the problem with this law, so far.
Why must the background check be done every time. A background check was already done on the gun owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 08:42 PM

3,136 posts, read 3,827,919 times
Laws don't stop anybody from doing anything. They punish you afterwards. This is the first step to regulate, then a ban.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:43 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,043,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Why must the background check be done every time. A background check was already done on the gun owner.

The law says that a felon can't own firearms or ammunition, period. Just as we do a background check whenever you buy a firearm, we should also do it whenever you buy ammunition.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Laws don't stop anybody from doing anything. They punish you afterwards. This is the first step to regulate, then a ban.
Nope. I don't support a ban on firearms. I think we have an individual right to own a firearm. But I don't think felons have said right. Certain people shouldn't have firearms, such as felons or the mentally ill.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
The law says that a felon can't own firearms or ammunition, period. Just as we do a background check whenever you buy a firearm, we should also do it whenever you buy ammunition.
The law says we shouldn’t speed, should we do a driving test each time before a driver gets behind the wheel?

Old 06-30-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The law says we shouldn’t speed, should we do a driving test each time before a driver gets behind the wheel?

We should stop you every time you speed, yes. I would support yearly practical tests for everyone as well.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:16 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,570,390 times
Quote:
Yes, it's a felony. So how are we to enforce it, if we don't do a background check?

Again, do you want it to be EASIER to get a firearm if you're a felon, or HARDER?? Personally I want it to be as difficult as possible for a felon to acquire a firearm. But then, I have some common sense and some familiarity with firearms.

How horrible! You're annoyed and had to pay money! Oh the humanity!

Makes it so they have to go through the black market.

So then you agree that laws are useful? Make up your mind.
80,000 hits a year of felons attempting to buy a firearm yet we prosecute an average of 4. Want to try again? If you can't do the math of that no one can change your mind. This math is elementary school. The emotion though is what? Emotion zero logic, what is that called?

Old 06-30-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
80,000 hits a year of felons attempting to buy a firearm yet we prosecute an average of 4.

That's 80,000 prevented from legally purchasing a firearm.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
We should stop you every time you speed, yes. I would support yearly practical tests for everyone as well.
Wow, you a reading comprehension problem. You didn't even address my statement. I said every time we drive, not when speeding, not a yearly test.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
80,000 hits a year of felons attempting to buy a firearm yet we prosecute an average of 4. Want to try again? If you can't do the math of that no one can change your mind. This math is elementary school. The emotion though is what? Emotion zero logic, what is that called?
Well he can't do the math. He also has reading problems. Since math is a weak point for him you have to wonder about his claim of 96 percentile he posted elsewhere. Maybe it was actually 4% and he got the numbers inverted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California