Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 08:05 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are currently in Buck Meadows....spendi g the night so we can beat the crowd into the park tomorrow. but i never bothered to figure out what time in the am tomorrow we should head towards the entrance. Any advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 08:10 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Go early is my best advice. That place is very crowded.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Go early is my best advice. That place is very crowded.
"Early" to me is 5am. That's why i wanted to know what specific time i should head there. Im already at buck meadows...
Also, won't our site technically be ready to tent at noon?

Old 06-09-2019, 08:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
If you have a tent site reserved, time of day wont matter. Well it might if the party occupying site does not need to check out until 11AM. Just relax and enjoy the morning. You are only an hour from the Valley. Despite the crowds, going slow will allow you to take in the grandeur of Yosemite Valley. Not something to be rushed. Enjoy the slow traffic! Not a big deal if you spend a half hour in the Valley on you way to the campground.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If you have a tent site reserved, time of day wont matter. Well it might if the party occupying site does not need to check out until 11AM. Just relax and enjoy the morning. You are only an hour from the Valley. Despite the crowds, going slow will allow you to take in the grandeur of Yosemite Valley. Not something to be rushed. Enjoy the slow traffic! Not a big deal if you spend a half hour in the Valley on you way to the campground.
Great. Thanks. Yes, 4 nights in the same camp site. Stoked. Not worried about our site, but didn't want to sit in traffic cause i had heard it could be 3+ hrs into the valley. What you say makes sense though. Planning to head towards the entrance at 630am.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Great. Thanks. Yes, 4 nights in the same camp site. Stoked. Not worried about our site, but didn't want to sit in traffic cause i had heard it could be 3+ hrs into the valley. What you say makes sense though. Planning to head towards the entrance at 630am.
We live near Yosemite. Been there “a 1000 times”. Three plus hours??? Not so. Mrs5150 and I concur. Once you enter the park it is fast and easy. 30 minutes from Buck Meadows to the entrance. Then easy to the Valley. 39 minutes! Once entering the Valley, Its never taken us more than a half hour to reach and pass the area where the campgrounds are located. With that said, you might be OK hanging out in the Valley for four hours before you can set up your campsite.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:06 PM

3,882 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Last time we went to Shasta to see my brother, it was summer and we went up the 395 and crossed through from Lee Vining to see the Meadows. We thought we go check out the valley knowing it would be crowded, but thinking it wouldn't be that bad because it was during the week. We headed to the visitor center and boy was that a mistake! We immediately saw the crowds, and decided to turn back. Too late... we were directed to the parking lot which was gridlocked. Just to circle through to get out of there took almost an hour!

We're sticking to spring and fall! Not quite as crazy!

But yeah, if you'd be allowed to park up somewhere near your tent site until it's free, I'd go at the crack of dawn. I'd probably avoid driving in the dark before that. Don't want to run into any animals.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:43 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Used to work there back in the 80s and 90s. At that time the entrance stations weren't manned until 7AM. Just drive on through if no one is there.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:19 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times
Speaking of Yosemite...in spring and summer, what is the best way to get there from San Jose if you don't use a car (don't own one and interested in going there without renting one)?

I've heard of flying into Mammoth Lakes (there's a direct flight from San Francisco) and I've heard of taking Greyhound to Merced and then taking the YARTS bus into Yosemite.

I'm interested in people's opinions and experience regarding those choices.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:11 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Speaking of Yosemite...in spring and summer, what is the best way to get there from San Jose if you don't use a car (don't own one and interested in going there without renting one)?

I've heard of flying into Mammoth Lakes (there's a direct flight from San Francisco) and I've heard of taking Greyhound to Merced and then taking the YARTS bus into Yosemite.

I'm interested in people's opinions and experience regarding those choices.
I recently took YARTS into Yosemite from the Merced Amtrak depot. I went on a Friday, leaving Merced at 9:10 a.m. and arriving at the Yosemite Visitor's Center about 11:45 a.m. There were only 5 passengers including myself on the bus. For the return trip later that day, the YARTS coach departed Yosemite at 4:45 p.m. and arrived in Merced around 7:10 p.m. There were about 10 passengers on-board with about 7 disembarking in Mariposa. I would highly recommend this mode of travel to Yosemite. The intra-park shuttles tend to have overcrowding issues, so I didn't use the park shuttle buses whilst there.

YARTS runs year-around and reservations can be made online:

https://yarts.com/routes-schedules/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California