Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,668 times

Advertisements

I’m getting a job in Space Operations over at Vandenberg and I was wondering what are some good cities to live in? Looking for about an hour commute tops and some place where there are young people and plenty of stuff to do (nightlife, eating, basic single guy stuff). From my research doesn’t seem to be many cities close by. Just don’t wanna move to the middle of nowhere is all haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 PM

21 posts, read 45,522 times
“Young people, plenty of stuff to do”

Your probably thinking of Santa Barbara I live in Orcutt, about 25 minutes north. It’s a decent area, some bars, restaurants and wineries, and a pseudo-downtown.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:50 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
San Luis Obispo is a 50 minute commute. With the university, it's probably the best bet for what you seek, (in addition to the aforementioned SB with its university). Goleta to VAFB is about a 70 minute commute.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-11-2019, 11:11 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
San Luis Obispo is a 50 minute commute. With the university, it's probably the best bet for what you seek, (in addition to the aforementioned SB with its university). Goleta to VAFB is about a 70 minute commute.
And that’s a wrap for youthful “things to do” along the central coast

(Besides outdoors adventure, that is.)

Old 06-11-2019, 12:19 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Yes, if you're willing to drive an hour to work, then San Luis Obispo or Goleta/Isla Vista (north of Santa Barbara) would be your best bets. You don't really want to be IN Santa Barbara because of traffic.

Santa Maria/Orcutt is the most convenient city but the night life probably is not as good there.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:43 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times
I second Santa Maria/Orcutt. Maybe even consider the Santa Ynez Valley towns to the east such as Buellton and Solvang.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:05 PM

234 posts, read 303,465 times
I also was looking into the area a while back because of Vandy. I wasn’t very familiar with the area at the time, but we’ve made a few trips out to the area since then.

The Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo areas really seem to be the closest thing to what you’re looking for, mainly because they are both college towns. They both also offer loads of great outdoor activities if you are the outdoorsy type. Both are insanely expensive by the way..

Old 07-03-2021, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 7,340 times
Default You have to accept living in a old 1200 sq ft or less home for 78k household income, right?

I am considering applying for a GS job out at Vandenberg as well. Looking at homes and rentals, I can’t help but ask how anyone with a family on single income can afford to live out there. Looks like the cheapest decent 3bd/2bath places out there that someone would be lucky to find would have a rent or mortgage w/ utilities of approx 2500. The job I’m looking at would be netting 4K per month.

4,000 - 2,500 - 70(internet), - 140 (phone Bill) - 150 (car insurance) - 10 (subscription) - 400 (tithe) = $730 left for the month for living expenses

730/4 week = 182 per week

We are a fam of 5 and spend 200-250 a week on grocery and house supplies

Single income because wife homeschools all 3 kids. This budget doesn’t have room for savings or emergency fund allocation. Also doesn’t even include Med insurance.

I assume everyone living up there with a fam are dual income?

The gs net pay already includes locality. Looks like it’s impossible for single income 78k household to live by Vandenberg unless they live in 1k sq ft home and/or eat hotdogs and ramen

Thoughts?

Old 07-03-2021, 08:42 AM

234 posts, read 303,465 times
Sometimes federal installations will offer base housing to GS employees if there is any available. I know of a few places like that, and typically the cost is much more affordable than the surrounding area. I'd say Vandenberg fits the description of a place that might offer that, check into it.

Is the job only available at Vandenberg only or could you get the same gig at other installations? The reason why I ask is because just north of Vandenberg is Fort Hunter Liggett, another federal installation with many GS positions. FHL is also located in central California, and I do know they offer base housing to GS employees. They are also on San Francisco locality and not Los Angeles, so the same job at FHL compared to Vandy will pay you roughly 5k more per year. Good luck with it, it's a tough egg to crack.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 7,340 times
Yea I sent an email to their base housing. My buddy was over there and said he tried and they were full with huge waiting list at the time.

My job would only be avail at Vandenberg for that area. We would really like to move to that area like many do because it’s beautiful, but I can’t justify that move because no way to afford unless dual income for our situation or to cram all 3 kids in 1 room. Or like I said hotdogs and hamburger helpers for food. Crazy because I see that median household income for that area is $75k. My budget is based off $78k with no car payments cuz both are paid off which isn’t the case for most. So I’m scratching my head at that median income. They must be single person households or cramming everyone in old 1k sq ft
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California