Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 05:22 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,702,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildintheforest View Post
I have lived in Austin, TX and San Diego, CA over the past 15 years. I am ready to leave the traffic + city life behind for small town living.

I prefer a quaint liberal environment + access to healthy food + plenty of natural elements not invaded by concrete/buildings. I am a nature lover and enjoy spending time outdoors in fresh air. I love the forests in Northern California but find the cost of living too expensive. Any suggestions on affordable + quaint small towns in the U.S. that meet my criteria? I'm currently researching Santa Fe, NM + Taos, NM + Arizona + California. I'm open to areas I've not listed as well. I would be grateful for any insight.
Carson City/Minden/Gardnerville, NV. Perhaps not so liberal but has everything else.

Cool, CA is not so expensive.

The Dalles, OR

Ellensburg/Wenatchee, WA (may not be so cheap on real estate but give it a shot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 02:05 AM

1 posts, read 722 times
Default Nw

I think New Washington is best.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:43 PM

16 posts, read 23,653 times
vic, thanks for the suggestions. i'm going to check out dalles + cool.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:53 PM

6,908 posts, read 4,364,971 times
Reno would meet your requirements except for rent.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:57 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,113,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildintheforest View Post
vic, thanks for the suggestions. i'm going to check out dalles + cool.
Anyplace in the foothills of the Sierras in CA will be affordable. If. you're checking out Cool, also visit nearby Placerville and Pollock Pines, up the road from Placerville. Visit Jenkinson Lake, near Pollock Pines. Placerville is an old Gold Rush town. Summers will be hot, but Pollock Pines is at a higher elevation, so is cooler in the summers.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:34 PM

ruth4truth, love the ca towns you mentioned. i'm currently doing some research on those areas. i prefer the heat to the cold, so i don't mind the hot summers. thanks, again!

Old 06-27-2019, 06:35 PM

teachers terry, i have not even considered reno. i'll look into it. thank you!

Old 06-28-2019, 09:55 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,486,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Reno would meet your requirements except for rent.
Our daughter lives in Reno. Not bad for a city,close to the Sierras, not exactly a small town tho.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:19 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,300,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Anyplace in the foothills of the Sierras in CA will be affordable. If. you're checking out Cool, also visit nearby Placerville and Pollock Pines, up the road from Placerville. Visit Jenkinson Lake, near Pollock Pines. Placerville is an old Gold Rush town. Summers will be hot, but Pollock Pines is at a higher elevation, so is cooler in the summers.
Pollock Pines looks very beautiful. But is it an actual city, or just a loose collection of homes? Incorporated towns like Grass Valley and Nevada City have actual city centers and urban amenities -- but is that so of Pollock Pines? I can't find anything online. It does have a modest population size, so I'm assuming it has some city/town offerings. Placerville looks nice as well, but it's not high enough to offset the summer heat. I'm similar to the OP in that I love the outdoors/rural areas, but I'm dissimilar in that I don't like excessive heat (at least for not too long; a few months is ok though). I don't mind some snow and cooler weather, and I love the changing seasons (something that we don't really experience here in Los Angeles County).

I'm born and raised here in Southern California and am ready to leave the overcrowded, overdeveloped concrete jungle behind. Northern California, Oregon, and Washington seem very appealing to me.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:49 PM

227 posts, read 144,500 times
cottonwood, california, maybe? lots of forest around it and moderately cool winters. very small town though. has a lot of decidious trees and fall color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California