Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 01:16 PM

527 posts, read 414,933 times

Advertisements

Blue Lake is in the high fire hazard zone but in the lowest/borderline value in that zone, so very close to moderate.
When fires burn in Redding/Shasta county, they fight them - when they burn North, around Klamath National Forest these are the fires that can burn until fall rains and not being put out, this is the one to watch out for. Mostly, this smoke gets blown East but smoke plume can take all kinds of shapes and go into all directions, I had seen people from North Coast having to escape from this smoke camping high on Mount Shasta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 04:36 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Blue Lake is in the high fire hazard zone but in the lowest/borderline value in that zone, so very close to moderate.
When fires burn in Redding/Shasta county, they fight them - when they burn North, around Klamath National Forest these are the fires that can burn until fall rains and not being put out, this is the one to watch out for. Mostly, this smoke gets blown East but smoke plume can take all kinds of shapes and go into all directions, I had seen people from North Coast having to escape from this smoke camping high on Mount Shasta.
Blue Lake and Fieldbrook aren't very far away; fires there would be not only smoky, but pretty scary, for the residents down below, around the bay and on the coast, wouldn't they? Couldn't a fire in those areas potentially threaten to spread west, or is the coastal strip waterlogged enough, that the trees would have less of a tendency to burn?

Will people around Humboldt need to have backup generators, for the PG&E outages, like many other locations?

Old 12-02-2019, 04:37 PM

Thanks for all the additional info, folks! I appreciate it!

Old 12-02-2019, 10:13 PM

527 posts, read 414,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Blue Lake and Fieldbrook aren't very far away; fires there would be not only smoky, but pretty scary, for the residents down below, around the bay and on the coast, wouldn't they? Couldn't a fire in those areas potentially threaten to spread west, or is the coastal strip waterlogged enough, that the trees would have less of a tendency to burn?
I think it's more of a smoke potential than actual fire in the coastal strip, and much of it had been cleared from trees.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,645,110 times
A lot of folks here are interested in generators but hesitant because of the noise/hazards/smell. Three fires caused by generators last blackout. OP and Ruth, are you interested in buying or renting here? Houses in Arcata sell for $30K to $50K more than Eureka due to proximity to HSU. Rents are pretty comparable. Also, do you drive? I would not advise living anywhere here without a car.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
A lot of folks here are interested in generators but hesitant because of the noise/hazards/smell. Three fires caused by generators last blackout. OP and Ruth, are you interested in buying or renting here? Houses in Arcata sell for $30K to $50K more than Eureka due to proximity to HSU. Rents are pretty comparable. Also, do you drive? I would not advise living anywhere here without a car.
Def would have a car. Will be renting.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:28 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,522,034 times
Ruth, how much time have you spent in Humboldt? I've said a lot about the place so I'm not sure what else I could say that would be new information

Old 12-04-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Ruth, how much time have you spent in Humboldt? I've said a lot about the place so I'm not sure what else I could say that would be new information
I posted earlier, that I plan to visit in the spring (to avoid fire season). I've only been checking out various communities online so far. The medical care situation is of some concern, but OTOH, I found a very good outside-the-box thyroid doctor (primary care, but w/a focus on thyroid disease) in Arcata, so that's encouraging. It's an absolute necessity, for me.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:31 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,784,784 times
What is the town of Fortuna like in Humboldt county? Might be a bit further back from the coast then R4T would prefer though.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
What is the town of Fortuna like in Humboldt county? Might be a bit further back from the coast then R4T would prefer though.
What leads you to suggest Fortuna? I've been leaning more toward the towns that are closer to the university, but I'm open to considering anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California