Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 08:00 PM

527 posts, read 422,880 times

Advertisements

Aside from Google street view...there's "Drugs, Thefts and Gunshots" video by Nomadic Fanatic (he has RV travel channel) about his boondocking experience in Eureka proper...
I never felt comfortable out in the boonies in Humboldt because of some shady folks I'd run into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 08:49 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Aside from Google street view...there's "Drugs, Thefts and Gunshots" video by Nomadic Fanatic (he has RV travel channel) about his boondocking experience in Eureka proper...
I never felt comfortable out in the boonies in Humboldt because of some shady folks I'd run into.

There are areas of SF, that I would likely never feel comfortable walking in at night. My neighborhood though is rather safe. Plenty of homeless, drug use, theft (specially car break ins) in SF.

For someone considering moving to CA,(who may be a retiree) wanting a moderate climate such as to be found near the coast, looking for moderate cost & stable housing market and desires some cultural amenities........Eureka is worth consideration and a visit, I think.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:38 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
There are areas of SF, that I would likely never feel comfortable walking in at night. My neighborhood though is rather safe. Plenty of homeless, drug use, theft (specially car break ins) in SF.

For someone considering moving to CA,(who may be a retiree) wanting a moderate climate such as to be found near the coast, looking for moderate cost & stable housing market and desires some cultural amenities........Eureka is worth consideration and a visit, I think.
If you're ok with it's negatives (which are significant for some) and realistic about living with them after visiting several times, it really is a beautiful area.

Derek

Old 12-07-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
If you're ok with it's negatives (which are significant for some) and realistic about living with them after visiting several times, it really is a beautiful area.

Derek

It's up to the individual what compromises they are willing to accept. Perhaps there are even more negatives to be had in one's current place of residence. A former coworker of mine was considering retiring to the Eureka/Arcata area. We used to discuss the area now and then. He liked a coastal climate and also wanted to live in a university town or very close to one. Some cultural amenities were important to him. Eureka area was affordable for him....... He was living in a rent controlled studio in SF.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:25 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
It's up to the individual what compromises they are willing to accept. Perhaps there are even more negatives to be had in one's current place of residence. A former coworker of mine was considering retiring to the Eureka/Arcata area. We used to discuss the area now and then. He liked a coastal climate and also wanted to live in a university town or very close to one. Some cultural amenities were important to him. Eureka area was affordable for him....... He was living in a rent controlled studio in SF.
Bingo. Someone suggested the Sierra foothills to me. An easier drive to "civilization", for one thing, and I suppose--easier access to good medical care would be the advantages. The foothills get hot, though, unless you move up high enough, to where it's relatively cool in the summers, but then you'd have a lot of snow in the winters. And I don't know what the prognosis is, for reliability of the water supply in that area into the future. I picked Humboldt, because it's the rainiest part of the West Coast that also has amenities, like a university. I'm also looking at Western WA, but even W WA, except for a narrow coastal band of rain forest, is much drier than it used to be, and is more prone to heat waves than ever before.

So, IDK. We'll see where I end up.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:00 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
So, what happened? Did he decide to move there? And if so, how did he like it? Just curious since thinking about it and actually experiencing it can be quite a bit different. Some do like it and find it to be a nice place to live.

I actually have a friend who lived there while he was the pastor of a church. He then moved to Monterey but eventually moved back up to Humboldt where his fiance (now wife) lives. They live in McKinleyville and he works for the county.

Derek

Old 12-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
So, what happened? Did he decide to move there? And if so, how did he like it? Just curious since thinking about it and actually experiencing it can be quite a bit different. Some do like it and find it to be a nice place to live.

I actually have a friend who lived there while he was the pastor of a church. He then moved to Monterey but eventually moved back up to Humboldt where his fiance (now wife) lives. They live in McKinleyville and he works for the county.

Derek

I don't work with him anymore. He has not yet retired last I heard, although he is old enough to. My hunch is he will retire sometime in 2020. I recall he was also considering moving to Eugene OR. Besides his full time job, he would occasional work as a proctor on Saturdays and on a week day if he happen to be on vacation from work

Old 12-07-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Bingo. Someone suggested the Sierra foothills to me. An easier drive to "civilization", for one thing, and I suppose--easier access to good medical care would be the advantages. The foothills get hot, though, unless you move up high enough, to where it's relatively cool in the summers, but then you'd have a lot of snow in the winters. And I don't know what the prognosis is, for reliability of the water supply in that area into the future. I picked Humboldt, because it's the rainiest part of the West Coast that also has amenities, like a university. I'm also looking at Western WA, but even W WA, except for a narrow coastal band of rain forest, is much drier than it used to be, and is more prone to heat waves than ever before.

So, IDK. We'll see where I end up.

and if you moved that high enough up to have some moderation of the summer heat , the drive to the "good medical" care may not be all that convenient...specially in winter

Old 12-07-2019, 11:50 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

Derek
Thanks for sharing this, Derek. I take it they're pretty happy there? What has he said, if anything, about some of the downsides of Humboldt that others have commented about?

Old 12-07-2019, 12:10 PM

R4T, in addition to see what medical care providers are located in the area you are considering moving to, I would also find out which one are accepting new patients. This year I have been getting my medical care from one of the top providers in SF. UCSF) But, what I found was that when I called to get set up with a primary care doctor, all they had for me was a first year resident intern and this intern was already booked up for about 6 weeks out. All the other internal medicine doctors were not accepting new patients. They are swapped with patients. Most of the time I have had an appt, it has been with whomever they happen to have available (often a NP)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California