Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 12:54 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times

Advertisements

FYI the pop of Eureka 27K +_ but the pop of the Eureka- Arcata- Fortuna region is 130,000. Arcata is 8 miles away, Fortuna is 20, McKinleyville is 10 etc. CD has all the data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 01:31 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,836 times
About the climate in NW California... there are drastic differences over relatively short distances. Crescent City averages 70 inches of rain per year while Eureka is less than 40. The coast is very consistently cool (it has never even hit 80 degrees in July in Eureka) and it gets warmer fast as you go inland. I remember one day growing up the high was 60 in Eureka and 120 in Redding (or maybe it was Red Bluff). But even going shorter distances inland there can be big differences.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,558 times
Agree with most of the posts...but In and Out is being built on Broadway. Those of you who are carnivores, might appreciate. Why did she choose Eureka, I wonder ?

Old 07-11-2019, 12:13 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wydwnrd View Post
Why did she choose Eureka, I wonder ?
Read the OP's posts, and you'll find out.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:54 AM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, it is somewhat comparable to a rust-belt area; it's a defunct logging-belt area. WA State has towns like that, but they're much worse off, and are a lot smaller. Eureka is the county seat, and has a community college nearby, which helps support some of the population base. The WA State ex-logging towns don't have the signs of resurgent vitality you're seeing, because logging was all they had, and nobody's interested in moving there for retirement, or as a base to work from by internet, unlike Humboldt, which is more scenic. I hope you'll be touring other parts of Humboldt as well, for comparison.
Yeah, I was gonna say, I got a similar feel from towns like Aberdeen.

Unfortunately I didn't see any other towns in the county besides walking around the Humboldt State campus in Arcata a bit. I was just taking a few days to see the NorCal coast plus the interior region (Redding, Weaverville, etc.) and SW Oregon.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:29 AM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
There was another Humboldt resident who posted here once (but AFAIK hasn't come back to CD),
and brought up something that I haven't seen mentioned before: wintertime air pollution
from wood stoves. She found it quite severe. I think she was referring to Eureka, but perhaps Arcata too.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
There was another Humboldt resident who posted here once (but AFAIK hasn't come back to CD),
and brought up something that I haven't seen mentioned before: wintertime air pollution
from wood stoves. She found it quite severe. I think she was referring to Eureka, but perhaps Arcata too.
CA had a ban on use of wood stoves for awhile. I haven't followed that issue; I think it started in the late 80's (?) and went into the 90's, and I haven't tracked it since then. Either it was lifted, or those are all illegal wood stoves. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Old 07-12-2019, 05:26 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,598 times
Quote:
CA had a ban on use of wood stoves for awhile. I haven't followed that issue; I think it started in the late 80's (?) and went into the 90's, and I haven't tracked it since then. Either it was lifted, or those are all illegal wood stoves. Does anyone have any insight on this?
We have a wood stove as our primary heating source in winter, along with many other people. I've never found it to be a problem with respect to air pollution. Winter tends to be a wet, windy time so smoke doesn't have much staying power. Personally I like the smell of wood fires during the winter, I find it cozy.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/califo...rds-65593.html

Old 07-13-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
We have a wood stove as our primary heating source in winter, along with many other people. I've never found it to be a problem with respect to air pollution. Winter tends to be a wet, windy time so smoke doesn't have much staying power. Personally I like the smell of wood fires during the winter, I find it cozy.
Interesting. Good to know. After reading the link expatCA posted, I'm moved to ask: is yours a pellet stove? Or are pellet stoves not required in Humboldt? I thought the State regulations require those everywhere...? And yes, I agree, the smell of wood fires is nice, if it doesn't get too thick, which it sounds like it doesn't in a rainy area like yours. The heat from wood stoves is very cozy, too, and I find watching the flames to be relaxing. Much better than TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California